View Full Version : I HATE SPRITE BACKUP. Please help!

looneytoone
09-11-2004, 10:26 PM
Actually, I hate Windows Media Player. It failed. Planning to hard reset. Thought that I should finally get Sprite BackUp after all of the positive statements on this site.

Purchased product. Registered product. In last 24 hours, cannot get it to work. Product just hangs. Little spinner continues to spin. Says "Scanning File System. This may take a few minutes. Please wait." Waited for an hour. I feel cheated.

Please rescue me. Someone, anyone.

mrkablooey
09-11-2004, 10:44 PM
have you tried re-installing it (Sprite Backup)?

looneytoone
09-11-2004, 11:08 PM
I have reinstalled several times. I have totally deleted the product and reinstalled. No luck at all.

Steven Cedrone
09-12-2004, 02:19 AM
Soft reset? Contaced the Sprite folks?

Steve

looneytoone
09-12-2004, 02:30 AM
Yeah. I did both. No response yet from Sprite folks.

Sven Johannsen
09-12-2004, 02:50 AM
You started by saying you are planning to hard reset. You aren't planning to backup with Sprite Backup, hard reset and then restore, are you. You can certainly do that, but you'll just restore all the issues you currently have.

I recommend sucking it up, hard reset, then install Sprite Backup, and make backups periodically as you rebuild your PPC. If some program goes wacky, you can restore to just before it. Once yu get everything basically the way you want it do a snapshot and save it. Then start doing the routine ones.

mrkablooey
09-12-2004, 02:12 PM
sven,

sometimes the obvious is right in front of us. :? didn't even consider that he'd be restoring all the same crap to the PPC which would probably just restore all the same problems. :wink:

carphead
09-12-2004, 07:53 PM
How far in the sprite backup did you get?

Sven Johannsen
09-12-2004, 11:56 PM
He said, up to the point where Sprite Backup is reading the system to build it's tree of things to backup. That can take some time, sometimes, if you have a T2T Ram disk and two flash cards for it to run through, but not an hour. He's got something hosing his system. Honestly the best bet is likely to hard reset and start over. First time is scarry and painfull. The good news is it gets easier every time :wink:

carphead
09-13-2004, 08:46 AM
True but if he has the Network folder enabled and Persistent storage marked for backup and a $ share mapped to the Network folder. The PPC might be reading in a whole networked drive as well. Which could also cause problems.

Not that it's likely I guess the PPC is in need of hard reset but just a suggestion.

Sven Johannsen
09-13-2004, 03:26 PM
True but if he has the Network folder enabled and Persistent storage marked for backup and a $ share mapped to the Network folder. The PPC might be reading in a whole networked drive as well. Which could also cause problems.

Not that it's likely I guess the PPC is in need of hard reset but just a suggestion.

Good points, but I didn't get the impression looneytoone got far enough to even set anything, so the defaults would have been in force. I figured, if he was planning to hard reset anyway, restoring what he has now would be counter productive.