View Full Version : Emtac Crux II BT GPS car power supply - suitable for Ipaq too?

KuroNeko
09-10-2004, 11:08 PM
today I purchased an Emtac Crux II BTGPS. It didn't come as a retail kit, but more like an OEM set. The bag consisted of the GPS unit, a car power adapter and a powercable.

There was no manual (I downloaded that from the Emtac website), and the car power supply had no sticker with technical specifications on it, just the imprinted "Emtac" brand.

The car power adapter has a plug at the end that can be plugged into the GPS. But the plug also has a second connector that allows the use of the power cable that also came with the package. So it seems intended to hook up another device as well.

I own an IPAQ 3970, which uses the same power plug (through an adapter) and uses the same voltage (5V). So I was wondering if the Emtac power supply is powerful enough to not only load the Crux II battery and run the unit, but also charge/run the Ipaq. This would be very convenient as there is only one lighter connector in a car.

Similarly, as there was no 240V power adapter included, I am curious if I can use the Ipaq power supply to charge the Emtac Crux II from the mains.

Is it safe to do these 2 things?

Neko

liquidblaze
09-11-2004, 12:03 AM
yeah. it's perfectly safe to hook up both a PPC and your GPS Receiver. Its in fact designed for that.

davidb67
09-14-2004, 10:21 PM
KuroNeko - just be careful if you end up using an Emtac/CruxII BT GPS MAINS adapter to recharge your iPaq...

I got a "travel"-type mains adapter with my Emtac BT GPS here in the UK, which has the same plug as the iPaq's charger - without the final power-adpter "thingy" (technical term!!).
I brought that to NYC with me last August for 2 weeks to keep my iPaq recharged.
BIG mistake!! after about 2 hours, went to pick up my iPaq and burned my hand - yes it was that hot!
Motherboard was fried! fortunately when back in the UK, HP put it down to a battery fault and replaced both under warranty, but i'm sure it was the adapter.....

KuroNeko
09-15-2004, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the tip. I didn't get a mains adapter, only the travel kit, and it seems to work fine with both GPS and Ipaq attached.

Now to get the darn thing safely attached to my dashboard somewhere... there's no room for those short swan-neck things and the holders that clip on the fan grils don't fit well enough to be safe (too small blades in a grill that also tilts in its entirety instead of justt he blades)

I may just glue it to the middle of the steering wheel :lol:

Neko