View Full Version : Restoring data from MSOutlook? Is it possible?

STW
09-10-2004, 08:00 AM
Is there any way to restore data to my ppc 4150 from MSOutlook?

My ppc went dead a couple days ago and that was a bad time for me to learn about the backup/restore function in Activesync. I had thought that syncing to MSOutlook with Activesync made a backup automatically, but what I'm reading now suggests it that it doesn't.

But it seems like there must be a way to re-populate my ppc from MSOutlook since the stuff is all there. I did do a flash backup to the flash filestore (?), but it was a while ago so my Outlook is much more complete.

--Mitch

Duncan
09-10-2004, 09:22 AM
Synching with MS Outlook does not back up your Pocket PC. I'm not sure why you shoud ever have thought that it would?

However - all of your e-mails, contacts, calendar and tasks items should have been automatically synchronised with MS Outlook (if you set ActiveSync up to do so). In theory you should also have a folder on your PC called something like 'Name_of_Your_Device My Documents' that should store back-up copies of notes and other files (but not programs) - again if your ActiveSync was set up to do so.

So - in order to restore these to your Pocket PC you simply need to ActiveSync again and set ActiveSync to replace everything on your Pocket PC with the contents of Outlook (the contents of your 'My Douments' folder should synch anyway). It is simply done and all you need to do is ensure that AS is set up to synch everything and read the screen that comes uo when you begin ActiveSync - so you make sure that the data flows from your PC to your Pocket PC.

STW
09-10-2004, 06:36 PM
Synching with MS Outlook does not back up your Pocket PC. I'm not sure why you shoud ever have thought that it would?.

Thanks, Duncan, for responding.
Yeah, that was my mistake for assuming--I guess seeing all the data populate MSOutlook at every sync lead me to assume :roll: the data was there backed-up too. If I can get this restored properly, I'll certainly set up activesync to make a backup file at every sync.

However - all of your e-mails, contacts, calendar and tasks items should have been automatically synchronised with MS Outlook (if you set ActiveSync up to do so). .

I didn't set up activesync to do that automatically--that I know of anyway, assuming it's not a default. Reading my "activesynch backup/restore" .pdf help document, I discovered that's what I should have done right up front.

In theory you should also have a folder on your PC called something like 'Name_of_Your_Device My Documents' that should store back-up copies of notes and other files (but not programs) - again if your ActiveSync was set up to do so.

So - in order to restore these to your Pocket PC you simply need to ActiveSync again and set ActiveSync to replace everything on your Pocket PC with the contents of Outlook (the contents of your 'My Douments' folder should synch anyway). It is simply done and all you need to do is ensure that AS is set up to synch everything and read the screen that comes uo when you begin ActiveSync - so you make sure that the data flows from your PC to your Pocket PC.

Would it still be possible to restore this way from MSOutlook through active synch assuming I didn't get a backup file made? (Couldn't find a "backup.stg" file anywhere which is what my help .pdf tells me the backup feature does.)

How would I set activesync to replace all ppc date with MSOutlook data?Would I sign into activesync as a guest?

yankeejeep
09-10-2004, 07:11 PM
If your PPC went totally dead, then when you connect it the first time you should be prompted to create a new partnership. If you let it assign a name automatically, you should not have the issue of an existing partnership with the same name. Once the partnership is created, it will do an initial default sync and you can then set the options you would like to use on future syncs. If you have the 'My Documents' folder on your desktop from the earlier partnership, simply copy its contents to the folder created for the new partnership and you can then sync them to your device.

STW
09-11-2004, 09:21 AM
Thanks YakeeJeep. Set up new partnership, MSOutlook synced, and now I just have to re-install my apps.
--Mitch