View Full Version : How do you hard reset a tungsten W?

luiskim
09-09-2004, 05:40 PM
How do you hard reset a tungsten W?
thanks

dean_shan
09-09-2004, 06:35 PM
I think you'd have better luck if you posted this question on a Palm forum. Does the manual not tell you how?

Mark Kenepp
09-10-2004, 02:01 AM
The older Palms (Palm V and before) involve some combination of holding in the reset button (a small pin hole in the back of the unit) and pressing the power button. I never remembered the right order. Press the reset pin then the power then release the reset then release the power... Or press the power then the reset then release the power... If you keep experimenting with all the combinations of holding and releasing the power and reset you should eventually com across it. This assumes that the reset process has remained unchanged.

I think you'd have better luck if you posted this question on a Palm forum. Does the manual not tell you how?

They specifically left out the process to hard reset out of the manual to avoid getting tech calls from people "I hard reset my device like it said in the manual and now all my data is gone!" At least that is what I was told when I called tech support to find out how to hard reset a Palm.

c38b2
09-10-2004, 02:12 AM
If they kept it the same, you hold down your power button, reset it using your stylus, then keep holding down the power button until the Palm logo appears. Release the power button and there should be a screen asking if you really want to hard reset (wipe all your data). Push the up button and it's as good as new.

Fishie
09-10-2004, 04:00 AM
A sledge hammer combined with a quick dash to an electronics store to get a PPC ussualy does the trick.

David Prahl
09-10-2004, 04:21 AM
I agree with all of the above posts:

-Stylus in reset hole and holding the power button should do it. I used to have a Palm, and that's the way it worked.
-Checking the manual might be fastest.
-Considering a Pocket PC is always a good idea! You know, Windows Mobile 2003 resets itself automatically! :lol:

Let us know how things shake out.