View Full Version : Saying a Proper Goodby to One iPAQ and Hello to Another

Lex
09-08-2004, 10:43 PM
I'm about to retire an older iPAQ for a newer one. Could you advise me of the steps to make sure my data gets on the new unit? I use ActiveSync regularly to back up to the PC and back up daily to a SD card using Sprite Backup.

Thanks !

Jason Dunn
09-08-2004, 11:25 PM
All your Outlook data will be inside Outlook, so when you sync it will go over to the new device. All your software will have to be re-installed on the new Pocket PC - there's no way to transfer them all over...

Lex
09-09-2004, 03:14 AM
All your software will have to be re-installed on the new Pocket PC - there's no way to transfer them all over...

Couldn't the .exe image of my PPC created by Sprite Backup be used to copy the whole contents of the old PPC over to the new off of the SD card?

Jeff Rutledge
09-09-2004, 06:09 AM
Unfortunately not. The Sprite backup contains a lot of system information that won't translate well to the new unit.

Brad Adrian
09-09-2004, 06:20 AM
With a new device, I would STRONGLY recommend re-installing all of your apps if you can. I know it's a pain (it usually takes me at least 2 hours), but things will run much more smoothly than if you try to trick the device into recognizing your old files.

FWIW, though, if you're ever in the position to need to completely move everything from one device to another identical device, take a look at Sprinte Clone. It makes an exact copy of the image and transfers it VERY quickly. I used that when I was sent a replacement 2215.

Sprite Clone is meant to be a corporate tool, to help with rolling out multiple devices, and is a bit pricey. However, I think the demo allows you to do three copies, so it works well for the kinds of situations I described.

Good luck.

Lex
12-30-2004, 02:30 AM
Guys I'm at the purchase point now. Could you direct me to specific directions or tips at this Forum that describe how to transition from an old PPC to a new one? I know to reinstall all apps but I'm sure there's more to it than just plugging up the new PPC and syncing all the old unit's data. Searching the Forum on any term I can think of returns way too many hits. Many thanks.

Sven Johannsen
12-30-2004, 03:24 AM
FWIW, though, if you're ever in the position to need to completely move everything from one device to another identical device, take a look at Sprinte Clone. It makes an exact copy of the image and transfers it VERY quickly. I used that when I was sent a replacement 2215.

You can do that with just the regular Sprite Backup if it is the same device. Did this when Dell had to send me a new X30, because the sync connector cracked. Still worked but was a mater of time before it broke completely. Just restored to the new device. Note that the original had no software issues, just a hardware one.

Have also done this to get my wife back up with a spare machine. As long as it is the same device, a restore will work fine.

That's not the potential here though as I expect your not 'upgrading' to an identical device.

Jon Westfall
12-30-2004, 03:42 PM
Guys I'm at the purchase point now. Could you direct me to specific directions or tips at this Forum that describe how to transition from an old PPC to a new one? I know to reinstall all apps but I'm sure there's more to it than just plugging up the new PPC and syncing all the old unit's data. Searching the Forum on any term I can think of returns way too many hits. Many thanks.

No, actually there isn't more than just plugging in the new PDA. As long as your outlook data is up to date, and you've copied any files you want to keep from the old My Documents folder to the new My Documents (Created once you create the new partnership), your transistion should be complete.

Lex
12-30-2004, 04:59 PM
Thanks dadarkmcse. You just about covered it. Just wasn't sure of the steps and had forgotten the partnership part. Will Active Sync ask questions when it senses a new PPC or do I make settings manually telling the old data to 'come forth' to it's new momma ?

Sven Johannsen
12-30-2004, 06:21 PM
Got a twitch in your send finger? ;) Yes ActiveSync will pop up with a typical, do you want to partner or guest this new device. Remember you can't give it the same name as your old one, without deleting the old partnership on the PC first. I think a new PPC deserves a new name though. If the old one is Pocket_PC, the default, the new one won't let you use that either BTW.

If you chose to partner, AS will bring up the usual list of standard things to sync, and let you add or subtract with check boxes. If you sync Inbox, I would recommend you not do so with the new device yet. Make sure everything is OK with it first. Then uncheck Inbox on your old device, sync it, check Inbox sync on your new device, and sync it. It won't let you sync Inbox with one PPC and two PCs, but it will let you sync Inbox with one PC and more than one PPC. That is the same for all the other catagories save MS Money. Inbox is the only thing that I have had any issues with trying to put it on multiple PPCs. Just seems it has a hard time keeping the assorted copies straight.

Lex
12-30-2004, 07:20 PM
No twitchin', but the screen did go blank for a full minute when I hit submit. I think the forum software is trying to get me some more posts. 8O Great advice all, thanks.