View Full Version : POLL - How do you synchronize?

humayunl
09-08-2004, 12:12 PM
When it comes to entering information in their mobile devices, everyone uses their mobile device slightly differently.

- Some people make all input in the mobile device and then update their PCs when they synchronize.
- Others add inormation in the PC and then update their device when they synchronize.
- And there are others who add information on whichever (the PC or the device) is accessible to them. Then they synchronize to update the other. How are collisions avoided in this scenario?

I input everyting in the device simply because its with me everywhere I am. Then I synchronize the PC. Sometimes I wish I could update wherever and ActiveSync would be smart enough to synchronize the "newer" entry. I've had one bad experience so I tend not to experiment and stick to my tried and tested "always replace on my desktop" selection. Can I do better?

Let's share what method of synchronization each of us use, and why we have selected to synchronize that way. How would you like to be able to synchronize.

PR.
09-08-2004, 04:07 PM
I say leave the item unresolved, the only time I have a problems with unresolved items is with PIs files that it keeps in the My Documents folder.

Exchange sync is set to replace the item on the device.

dlangton
09-08-2004, 05:32 PM
How about none of the above. It depends. Sometimes I'll replace the items on the desktop, sometimes the item on the device. Whichever is most current.

Sven Johannsen
09-08-2004, 07:57 PM
I'm not sure you understand how it actually works today. Those options only come into play when there is a conflict. A conflict is when a part of the same piece of info has been changed on both the PC and PPC between syncs. If you change Bob Jone's phone # on the PPC and his address on the PC, then you have a conflict and the options come into play.

If you change Bob Jone's phone # on the PPC and Debbie Smith's phone # on the PC. they will be reflected to the other device when you sync. There is no conflict.

On Contacts it is by contact, in Calendar by appointment entry. In the file folder it is the copy that has the latest change date on the individual files that is copied over the other one, in either direction.

In each case it does sync the newer entry, regardless of which device it was changed on.

It would be nice sometimes to be able to say, just take all my desktop info and overwrite the PPC info wholesale, but that option doesn't exist except at initial partnering. The option to have the PPC be complete master never exists, outside of the conflict situation.

Brad Adrian
09-08-2004, 10:48 PM
I almost always use my notebook PC as the master and Pocket PC as the slave. I do it that way simply because the bulk of my working time is spent with Outlook running and my Pocket PC in the cradle.