View Full Version : Phone Book for H6315

juan_chiriboga
09-07-2004, 06:10 PM
I just got my H6315 a few days ago, and I am loving it. except two minor issues (no support for pocket skype, and the bulky case that comes with it.)

However, i find the Phone Book software that comes with it pretty inefficiente, unless someone can prove me wrong.

Does it look up phone numbers directly from the contacts app? My initial thoughts are NO.

You can copy contacts from PhoneBook to contacts app, but not the other way around.

so it seems like i am stuck using the contact App, which i love, however when driving it is pretty difficult to use the contacts app, as it definitely needs the stylus.....

Any thoughts? Suggestions?
thanks!!!

SKassam
09-07-2004, 06:58 PM
You are correct that you are stuck with Contacts for now. You should get Voice command and then you won't need to look up the contacts while driving.

juan_chiriboga
09-07-2004, 08:54 PM
Is voice command really worth it? i mean, does it work ok?

ctmagnus
09-07-2004, 09:19 PM
For a more finger-friendly contacts interface, there's .mobile Contacts (http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?productType=2&optionId=1_2_2&jid=F262418AE1B54A6BC188589A1D87781A&platformId=2&siteId=1&productId=130264&sectionId=0&catalog=30&txtSearch=contacts).

ebadger
09-08-2004, 08:16 AM
Voice Command is frigging amazing. It is a marvel of modern technology. I have 600 contacts and can pull any one of them up with my voice in about 2 seconds without any training at all. It works great. I use it whenever I dial anyone in my contact list. Maybe I'm biased but I think it is killer :mrgreen: 0X

juan_chiriboga
09-08-2004, 05:23 PM
I just tested voice command. I have some spanish contacts, and none of them works. it will work with John, but not Jose!
What a shame... any thoughts?
thanks

ebadger
09-10-2004, 07:48 AM
What are some of your other spanish contact names?
Jose works fine for me with 600 other contacts. How many contacts do you have in your address book. Can you send me some of the contact names that you're having trouble with? Does the Jose name have an accented character?

juan_chiriboga
09-10-2004, 05:02 PM
Some of the names are:

Jose Chiriboga
Diego Aycinena
Ricargo Balzaretti
Juan Chiriboga

If you could try them out, I'd really appreciate it.

thanks,

Juan

ebadger
09-18-2004, 08:17 AM
Juan,

I just tried all 4 in my contact list of 675 and had no problem recognizing any of them. Perhaps I am pronouncing the names incorrectly. Could you record the pronunciation of these wav files and mail them to [email protected] ?

Dolphin
09-20-2004, 12:35 AM
so it seems like i am stuck using the contact App, which i love, however when driving it is pretty difficult to use the contacts app, as it definitely needs the stylus.....

thanks!!!

I had a 6315 for a while and found it easy to look up and dial from "Contacts". Just press the "Contacts" button scroll to the person you want to call and hold the 5 way button down. You don't have to use a stylus. But, if "voice command" works... that’s the way to go!

bnycastro
09-20-2004, 04:57 AM

thanks!!!

I had a 6315 for a while and found it easy to look up and dial from "Contacts". Just press the "Contacts" button scroll to the person you want to call and hold the 5 way button down. You don't have to use a stylus. But, if "voice command" works... that’s the way to go!except if you have a lot of contacts (say 300+)... maybe if you use the thumb board it will be easier as you can do a search then select from a reduced list. although that would be also quite hard if you have big fingers and are driving... or you can stop on the side of the road then do your search, call, hang up, then drive again...

Dolphin
09-20-2004, 05:12 AM

thanks!!!

I had a 6315 for a while and found it easy to look up and dial from "Contacts". Just press the "Contacts" button scroll to the person you want to call and hold the 5 way button down. You don't have to use a stylus. But, if "voice command" works... that’s the way to go!except if you have a lot of contacts (say 300+)... maybe if you use the thumb board it will be easier as you can do a search then select from a reduced list. although that would be also quite hard if you have big fingers and are driving... or you can stop on the side of the road then do your search, call, hang up, then drive again...

I probably have close to 300 entries in my contacts. It doesn’t take that long to find the contact as long as you know the spelling. As you probably know, when you scroll, after you get thru the first page, it starts to scroll by letters (A,B,C and so on) not by individual contacts. So, it really doesn't take that long. I have never used the stylus to dig out a contacts phone number... just the 5 way pad. The bad part of this is that you really shouldn't drive when doing this. That's why I'm eager to try out "MS Voice Command" and "Fonix Voice Central"!

bnycastro
09-20-2004, 06:31 AM
The bad part of this is that you really shouldn't drive when doing this.Right you are hehe that's why I didn't get a xdaii as I'm very sms intensive (I sms even when driving although it is not advisable) I'm waiting for a ppc pe device with an integrated keypad maybe the MPx or XDA III or even the h6315 with it's bundled thumb board when it comes out here in my country :) although I trust hp more; I'm leaning towards the XDA III as it has WinMobile SE on it.