View Full Version : *chat messenger&video two-ways*

zeyeout
09-06-2004, 09:43 PM
I got microsoft portrait for pc and pda from download research microft. My pda dont have cam but only pc have cam.... I try use chat and cam for pc and pda two ways but mean my pda not need cam but just watch view on pda from pc with cam at like livingroom.... I search address ip number from help and about microsoft portrait show number address ip then i try dailing and call-ok show unaccept its not work... please help me work out... thank u

jeffmd
09-07-2004, 04:48 PM
wow, that is some mad broken english my friend. Sounds like you want to use your pocket pc to view your pc's webcam which is situated in the living room? (Or is it the pocket pc thats in the living room?)

We will need exact error messages as well as what you are using to connect everything together. (I'm guess a wireless access point, with the pc connected via ethernet and the pocket pc by wifi?)

zeyeout
09-07-2004, 07:32 PM
ok...
yes pocket pc to view your pc's webcam but pc's webcam in the livingroom then my pocket pc somewhere like outside or travel so i can check view on my pocket pc from pc's webcam show livingroom... what I try...
I dont have via ethernet or wi-fi on pc but just dailing like 28.8 kbps..... my pocket pc have wi-fi and bluetooth but most i use my pocket pc connect to my cell phone with bluetooth for internet browse web or aol messenger... but i try get view on pocket pc from anywhere who have webcam making show my pocket pc view... I hope you help me work out because i just idea more tech... thank u

zeyeout
09-07-2004, 08:48 PM
again explaing
I got Microsoft Portrait download for both PC and PDA... web is http://research.microsoft.com/~jiangli/portrait/ .... I did try use view on my PDA from PC's webcam like two-ways but I not sure which is address ip because PC's webcam use only USB to CPS but its not via ethernet or wi-fi in PC... but only use access internet dailing like 28.8 kbps speed...
my PDA have wi-fi and bluetooth but most I use pda connect my cell phone with bluetooth for access internet, aol messenger and msn messenger.. Anyone know if microsoft portrait work or not for without wi-fi or via ethernet? if not work then give me different software for support....

jeffmd
09-09-2004, 05:43 AM
ok, so your desktop pc is connecting to the internet by dialup modem, and your pocket PC is using GPRS through your bluetooth phone. Also it sounds like you have the full internet plan on your phone? If you don't, you will probably be restricted to what ports you can use. how ever, you should beable to use the standered WWW port, which is port 80.

The biggest problem here, is if you planned to view your web cam while you are away from home, you would need to maintain your dialup connection on your PC the entire time some how. How ever, that won't stop you from viewing your web cam.

Anyways, first your computers IP. When you dial in to your internet provider, you are given an IP. Many 3rd party applications can be downloaded that will easily show you your current IP, but one method that works on all versions of windows is a program called IPCONFIG. Simply open up a dos prompt window, and type IPCONFIG while online, and it will show you your IP, as well as other junk like DNS and host mask.

Now just run the web cam program in server mode, making note of the port number used. Chances are the application defaults to a specific port number, and you may not need to know this (The pocket pc software will try the default port automaticly) but if your phone provier is blocking ports, you should try connecting on port 80 (remember the server on your desktop must be listening to the same port you want to connect to on your pocket pc).

Now connect your pocket pc to your phone, run the software, and stick in the IP you obtained from your desktop computer. You may need to manualy enter the port number used as well. Unfortunatly I dont use the software or have it installed, so I can't outline specificly where to enter info or what to expect when connecting. It should connect and work fine from there.

zeyeout
09-09-2004, 06:49 PM
yes I found address ip number from pc decktop.... I did try dailing call my pda number its show number is not able to accept calls...

Sven Johannsen
09-09-2004, 07:00 PM
Jeffmd, you're doing good so I'll let you go. Just a bit of info, the standard ports for Portrait, which zeyeout is trying to use are Listen (8100), Video (8110), and Audio (8120).

zeyeout
09-09-2004, 08:10 PM
yes I did check listen 8100 and video 8110 and audio 8120 its still not work for my pda and pc...may help me again

Sven Johannsen
09-09-2004, 09:40 PM
Those are the standard settings. Whatever internet service you are using needs to support those ports. Typically a single PC on a dialup would, unless the service proivider is blocking then for security or whatever reason.

If you had a more typical setup with a cable modem/router/etc, the Network Address Translation would likely be blocking those ports unless you specifically set it up to forward them to some PC on your network.

As I say, in your case they should be open. But both the wireless access on the PPC or the dialup access on the desktop could concievably be blocking them.

zeyeout
09-10-2004, 04:06 AM
ok how i get not block of address ip ?
or where I do

jeffmd
09-10-2004, 12:27 PM
eww, 3 ports, thats not going to be easy, if possible, to do if your cell phone provider is blocking ports.

This is escentialy what you need to find out, if your cell phone provider is blocking any ports. Can you tell us who you use for a cell carrier? And what type of internet plan you added to your package?