View Full Version : iPAQ internet?

allensays
09-05-2004, 10:20 PM
Is there any way to share your broadband internet with the iPAQ? I've been looking around and I see wireless solutions with the WIFI card but I don't have wireless broadband.

I'm using the rz1700 which is capable of internet access. Are there any non wireless broadband solutions, I'm only concerned about using it for home.

Thanks in advance

OSUKid7
09-06-2004, 12:02 AM
Not sure if I understand your question completely. Do you hae dialup Internet, and you want to share that at home? I'd still suggest using WiFi, but use ICS on your PC to share the connection.

allensays
09-06-2004, 12:16 AM
Actually I have cable internet and it's not wireless, at home. I'm wondering if it's possible to share that with my iPAQ.

OSUKid7
09-06-2004, 12:24 AM
Actually I have cable internet and it's not wireless, at home. I'm wondering if it's possible to share that with my iPAQ.Well, if you want, you could just put your iPaq in the cradle and surf the Internet that way. Other than that, you'll need an adapter of some sort for your Pocket PC. That can be wired (Ethernet) or wireless (802.11b).

What is your current network setup? And how would you like to connect your iPaq to the Internet?

allensays
09-06-2004, 12:39 AM
Why does it need to be in the cradle? I don't have a cradle. I thought the reason for that was to dock it for activesync or to charge your iPAQ.

I do have the USB connection to sync with the computer.

Basically what i'm trying to do is network the PC and the iPAQ to share the same cable connection. while I'm at home. I'm not a network guru so I really have no idea how to go about it. I just know that I'm running Windows XP Professional which has ICS and my iPAQ can connect to the net. The rest is fuzzy.

How should i go about it?

OSUKid7
09-06-2004, 12:53 AM
Hmm...ok - it can be a cradle or cable. Both do the same thing basically. If you want to use the Internet on your iPaq when connected via ActiveSync, make sure you have pass through to Internet Enabled. Active Sync: Tools > Options > Rules > set Connection: The Internet.

Otherwise, if you don't want to have a cable/ActiveSync connection, you'll need a real "network" connection. This can be wireless or wired, but Wireless is a ton easier. I'd say the easiest way is to get a Wireless Router (google it - Linksys makes good ones), and then a wireless card for your iPaq. Since the rz1700 only has an SDIO slot (correct me if I'm wrong...don't entirely remember), you'll need an SD WiFi card. That will connect to your wireless router. (And your current PC will connect via a standard Ethernet cable to the router.) The other wireless option is to get a WiFi adapter for your PC instead of the router, and then use ICS to share your connection. That may save you a few bucks, but it's much easier to use a router.

A wired (Ethernet) connection isn't easy (and may be impossible) with the rz1700 since it only has a SD slot.

My suggestion is to try the ActiveSync pass-through first. If you get that working and want to use your iPaq online in places other than right in front of your computer, I'd suggest getting a wireless router and SD WiFi card. Let me know if you need suggestions on WiFi products or anything else.

allensays
09-06-2004, 08:58 AM
I guess I don't have an internal modem so it wouldn't let me connect through the cable. So if I buy a wireless router and a WIFI card that should do it?

What's the typical range I'd be able to use the internet away from my computer if I went this route? Like say I could sit in the livingroom while my computer's in the office.

Also on the router, since it's wireless I'll be able to hook up my cable connection to that and it'll transfer signals to my iPAQ without having to sign up with additional service from RoadRunner Cable? Basically just screw the cable in the back of the router, set some settings and I'm wireless?

Sorry I'm pretty dumb with networking, you seem to be pretty advanced with this stuff.

Thanks for the responses

p.s. It says the SD slot support SDIO for Bluetooth, WIFI SD network cards & GPS. Also says it has built in wireless communication via IrDA to transfer data.

OSUKid7
09-06-2004, 02:13 PM
Alright, right now you most likely have the following setup:
cable line goes to your house, which hooks into your (external) cable modem, which then connects to your PC through an Ethernet (or maybe USB) wire.

What a router does is take the place of your PC. Once you have the router in place, you'll just leave it on, and your Internet connection will be up all the time - from any connected computer.

Roadrunner doesn't officially support any router/wireless setup, but (as long as you don't let your neighbors/others connect to your network) they don't mind at all.

So you don't really screw the cable in the back of the router...you still need your cable modem, but instead of the Ethernet wire going from the modem to your computer, it will go from the modem to the WAN/Internet port on your router.

Then you can connect your PC to the router with a standard Ethernet cable, since your router will most likely be right by your computer. Once you do that, follow instructions in the router manual to setup the router/wireless access point (AP) and secure the wireless network. NOTE: nearly all Wireless routers/APs ship with wireless security disabled. That means once you supply power to the router/AP, Wireless will be turned on, but anyone within the broadcast range could connect to your network, just like they plugged a cable from your router to their computer.

So just make sure you read the manual and secure the network.

The range is ~300 ft. max. It should cover the average-sized home no problem. Keep in mind that the AP will broadcast the signal in a circle - same distance in every direction. So if your router is near the outer wall of your house, half of the signal may be broadcasting into your neighbor's house. Not the best place for it, so if possible (if you have another cable line), put it in the center of your house. Even if it bleeds into your neighbor's house, they shouldn't be able to get into your network (well, not easily) if you've setup wireless encryption.

The built-in IrDA is just infared (somewhat like a remote control). This can sync/tranfer files with a laptop typically, but is too slow to do much more - plus IrDA needs lign-of-sight, so it's not practicle. Bluetooth is a short-range personal area networking technology (google it if you want more info). What you'll be using is 802.11, aka WiFi, aka Wireless Fidelity, Wireless LAN. So you'll need a WiFi SD card, which will then let you connect to your (or any) AP, and surf the web.

One other thing - there are 3 real types of 802.11 networks right now. 802.11a, 802.11b, and 802.11g. Don't even consider 802.11a - it's not really WiFi, and uses a different frequency, so won't work with WiFi devices. 802.11b is what WiFi was originally. It operates at a maximum of 11Mbps. 802.11g is just like 11b, but faster - at a maximum of 54Mbps. 802.11b and 802.11g both operate on the same 2.4GHz spectrum, so 802.11g is backwards complient (e.g. you can use a 802.11b WiFi card with an 802.11g AP). Some companies offer faster speeds by using other non-industry-certified wireless technologies such as Linksys's SpeedBooster (http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=610). These provide even more bandwidth if you only buy your wireless networking products from the same manufactuer. For you, I'd recommend 802.11b since there aren't any 802.11g SD cards available, plus you probably wouldn't make use of the extra bandwidth (since your Roadrunner connection is probably 1.5 or 3 Mbps - just a fraction of the 11Mbps in 802.11b). However, if you can see yourself getting another computer/laptop and would want to transfer large files and/or video wirelessly, you should go with an 802.11g router/AP.

This is a lot to take in! I know! lol...I'd suggest browsing Linksys's Website (http://www.linksys) and searching google to better understand Wireless (and wired) networking.

allensays
09-06-2004, 10:54 PM
That is alot to take in. Here's an idea, when I'm going to buy the router why don't you take a cruise with me to Microcenter or I think Staples has em to make sure I get the right thing. I'm seeing the router range from $59-100+.

Just noticed you're like a few miles away, I'm in Grandview/Upper Arlington close to the AMC Lennox Center where Staples is.

Now that would work better and you wouldn't have to type a book since I'm so network illiterate. If you're up to it, I'd appreciate it bro.

OSUKid7
09-06-2004, 11:15 PM
Shoot me a PM or IM (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=12845) and we can discuss it. It really isn't that difficult though. Once you find a good price (usually better prices online btw), you just buy it, plug it in, and read the manual.