View Full Version : Music Player Q's

Islander
09-04-2004, 03:58 PM
I love the quality of sound that my A716 delivers. I have been using WMP9, and wonder if there's a better alternative. (On my PC I use Winamp 5.03-with an m-audio revolution 7.1 sound card and Logitech Z-5300 5.1 speakers ) Most of my mp3's are 5-9MB in size...I like high quality sound on my PC, and have ripped most of my CDs using EAC... space eaters for sure on the CF card. I have a few files in .wma format, seem to sound ok on the A716. Might have to change alot of my files.

What is your favorite Music player, and why...and what about video...I am trying DVDtoPPC, which uses WMP...

Just learning :) I like the best in sound and video I can afford to set up..so all advice is greatly appreciated. :alfdance:

Oh yeah, and I LOVE skins :rock on dude!: -current Winamp skin, EMP 2, is great...

Kowalski
09-04-2004, 06:33 PM
i've searched the net for freeware sound players and tested nearly 7-8 players. some of them have some cool features but when it comes to the sound quality, none beats the wmp9!
since i am an amateur musician, sound quality is very important for me. i use winamp 5.03 too on my desktop and philips speakers which has excellent bass quality, but as i said when it comes to pocket pc, winamp is no near windows media player.

Islander
09-04-2004, 07:48 PM
I did see PocketMusic (http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=7255), and it looked quite good...but the following reviews really sucked. too bad. :?

You should hear the bass that my A716 :ppclove: throws when I use my Koss headphones...they aren't expensive...but they rock :rock on dude!: -the earbuds aren't bad, but the full ear covering really delivers BASS :hippy:

Really into animated emoticons today :rotfl:

Janak Parekh
09-04-2004, 08:17 PM
Really? I've read mostly good reviews of PocketMusic.

In any case, if you don't care for it, you should check out Conduits' (www.conduits.com) Pocket Player, BetaPlayer, GSPlayer, WinamPAQ, and PocketMVP. Those are most of them off the top of my head. Try a search on these forums for the latter ones. Most of them are free, but they're not as polished as commercial programs like Pocket Player.

And Kowalski -- WMP may be better for WMA, but I can say with authority it's rather mediocre on every other format.

--janak

Darius Wey
09-05-2004, 05:34 AM
PocketMusic isn't bad, although I'm sure you get much better enhancements if you purchase the full version and install the feature pack. If you like Winamp, it's nice to know it supports Winamp 2.x skins as well.

But Janak provides a host of players which you can have a stab at. Have a look at those ones too.

nuka_t
09-05-2004, 07:47 AM
is there one that displays current song, play/pause etc buttons on the titlebar? that would be really cool for when doing other stuff, yo ucan control the mp3's.

oh, and ripping your music in 192kb WMA should be pretty near CD-quality.

Darius Wey
09-05-2004, 08:31 AM
is there one that displays current song, play/pause etc buttons on the titlebar? that would be really cool for when doing other stuff, yo ucan control the mp3's.

I don't think so. The only thing I can think that comes close are plugins designed to be run on the today screen. You may be able to use WisBar Advance and create custom buttons which are assigned to play, stop, pause, etc.

I just use my mapped hardware buttons for playback function. It's the easiest option for me at the moment.

ST8
09-05-2004, 11:06 AM
Personally gsplayer and betaplayer get my vote, once betaplayer has an integrated playlist ill be switching to betaplayer full stop :]