View Full Version : SD card - all files vanished

terrypin
09-02-2004, 07:15 PM
I have a 512 MB SD card (Viking), which has been working fine for weeks until now. Suddenly, whether viewed on my PPC with Resco Explorer, or with my card reader and PC, all the files have disappeared. (Except for a couple of 0-byte file, one the familiar ignore_my_docs, and the other oddly called 'ance'.) Yet if I view the card's Properties from My Computer, that shows most of the space is used.

Anyone with any idea what might have happened please? More important, any recovery suggestions?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.

Shuushin
09-02-2004, 07:51 PM
This happened to me recently when I dropped my PPC (Toshiba e550g).

No, I have no idea why! - but I was listening to an audiobook, dropped the dang thing, and bingo - no more files on the SD card.

terrypin
09-02-2004, 08:22 PM
I've accepted defeat and re-formatted. Music will be easy, but not the task of re-installing the score of progs that I also had on the SD card, to relieve pressure on Main Memory.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.

Jeff Rutledge
09-02-2004, 09:12 PM
Yeah, I've taken on the weekly task of backing up my SD card manually. At least my laptop has an SD slot.

mrkablooey
09-03-2004, 01:49 AM
had that happen, too. thought it was the PDA but turns out it was the card. bought a new card and all was well. it was a great card, too, high speed panasonic SD card. ahh well, lexar in there now.

hollis_f
09-03-2004, 08:21 AM
Happened to me too.

Luckily I backup my SD and CF fairly regularly (using a USB2 card reader). I managed to rescue almost all the files I hadn't backed up using 'File Rescue Plus' - although it couldn't recreate the directory structure. Only one app needed re-installation.