View Full Version : 6315 Owners - Please Vote!

Jon Westfall
08-31-2004, 10:57 PM
A few of us are saying that our units drift into standby and must be soft-reset to wake up again. I think my unit may have done this because of calligrapher or meetingmute. Please - any 6315 owners, please vote in this poll - that way we can see if this seems to plague a lot of us "first-edition" owners, or if its relatively small.

Thanks!

P.S. Please also post if you run meetingmute or calligrapher on your 6315, and if it hangs while doing so.

mesposito2
09-01-2004, 12:05 AM
A few of us are saying that our units drift into standby and must be soft-reset to wake up again.

I may have figured out why this is happening, at least some of the time. I believe there is a problem with the Inbox checking emails every x minutes. I need to do more testing to narrow it down. I was using Tmobile to pop my mail. I was sending a new email, and I had a small attachment, like 20k.

I watched the mail sit there trying to upload, until the machine turned off. It wouldn't turn back on. I was having the problem very frequently. Now that I have turned off the auto checking of emails, I don't seem to be having the problem anymore.

Having said this, I thought I had another problem narrowed down, and then couldn't reproduce it, so the testing on this device is not easy. I guess if they were easy, HP would have found them already.

If HP would hire me in their QA department, I would have found things like this before they went out. <g>

I'm running Calligrapher, but not the other software you mentioned. The jury is still out on Calligrapher. I haven't been able to prove Calligrapher is involved.

If you have your inbox set to check for new mail every x minutes, turn it off and see if it solves the problem. I'd love to hear whether or not this is it. I'm going to give webIsMail a try. I'm sure it will work better.

I also noticed the hangs happening overnight. This could have been the inbox too, but last night I tried shutting down all software before bed, and this morning it turned on fine.

piggity
09-01-2004, 12:38 AM
I don't run either piece of software and I've never had this happen. I did here of someone else having issues with Caligrapher though.

mjfalcone
09-01-2004, 01:27 AM
I was able to narrow the problem down to Calligrapher 7.3. Once I removed it the lock-ups from standby ceased. I haven't hooked my mail to T-Mobil yet so I can't comment on the mail checking.

It now wakes up from standby normally. PIToday doesn't seem to cause any problems either. Nor does Giga Task or Voice Command.

Overall I like the unit and am glad I bought it.

Michael

Paladin27
09-01-2004, 03:33 PM
I have been experiencing the lockups coming out of standby as well. I've been trying to narrow down the problem by hard reseting and installing one application at a time. I thought it was Calligrapher too at first, now I'm not so sure. I did a hard reset two days ago and ONLY installed calligrapher and it's been fine since. Once I started putting on a few other programs like SPB Pocket Plus, MultiIE and TomTomGPS, that's when it started locking up again.

I'm starting to think it's not a specific program but a combination of startup programs.. perhaps too many? Or maybe a certian amount of RAM is being occupied at a critical level?

Anybody have any deeper thoughts than just blaming one particular program?

mesposito2
09-01-2004, 07:05 PM

Yes. Are any of your new apps residing on a Storage Card? If so, I know that the OS has a problem on startup reading the card fast enough, and this can cause things to hang.

To stop this, I have installed all of my key apps on Internal. I wish MS would fix this stupid problem at the OS level. I use PocketBible, and they actually told me that I need to shut down the software every time I power down the PDA. That's like telling a desktop user to close all of their apps every time they go to the bathroom.

I've also noticed that if the Inbox is has a socket open when the machine powers down, sometimes it will hang on powerup.

q-live
09-01-2004, 08:07 PM

Yes. Are any of your new apps residing on a Storage Card? If so, I know that the OS has a problem on startup reading the card fast enough, and this can cause things to hang.

To stop this, I have installed all of my key apps on Internal. I wish MS would fix this stupid problem at the OS level. I use PocketBible, and they actually told me that I need to shut down the software every time I power down the PDA. That's like telling a desktop user to close all of their apps every time they go to the bathroom.

thanks for telling me because i wanted to save space on my device so was gonna install all my software to the card..... specifially voice command
I've also noticed that if the Inbox is has a socket open when the machine powers down, sometimes it will hang on powerup.

acidcrash
09-29-2004, 10:14 PM
i have the same problem and this is my second unit tht i haved change as i thought the unit was faulty. I'm now trying to use it without my Trandscend 256MB SD Card and looks like it's not hanging up. I figured it might be some sort of hardware compatibilty problem.

I've also removed SPB GPRS Monitor as someone here did say it causes problems. I think i shall test it out without the transcend then install SPB GPRS and test it more. If it doesn;t hang then i will try using a Kingston or other branded SD cards just to be sure whether it;s the compatibility problem.

Been quite dissapointed to move to the H6315 form my XDA 2. Was needing far more better battery life and thought the 6315 had better reception but it doesn't.

Unlike u guys u can get a money back guarantee when u send it back. In my country we can;t do tht so i'm stuck with it. Oh well.