View Full Version : Terry Brooks - High Druid Of Shannara: Tanequil Released Today

Darren Behan
08-31-2004, 03:20 PM
For any of you Shannara fans out there, the latest (High Druid Of Shannara: Tanequil) is available on eBook here:

http://www.contentlinkinc.com/47661DD8-DA98-4B4F-B7C6-0186FB7470B9/10/16/en/ContentDetails.htm?ID=DABBFC59-DCDD-48F1-8773-41D0C1F96C37

You can probably also pick it up via Amazon but I didn't check.

db

Jorgen
08-31-2004, 08:01 PM
Fictionwise sells it with 100% micropay rebate! http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook25249.htm. And 30% rebate on other Brooks books.

Jorgen

Darren Behan
08-31-2004, 09:54 PM
:cry: CRAP!!!! :cry:

db

Jorgen
09-01-2004, 01:38 PM
Amen to that!

$17.95 is a hefty price for an e-book and I am surprised that Fictionwise give it away for free. I suppose they take a longterm view and want to create interest in the series.

Jorgen

Darren Behan
09-01-2004, 02:24 PM
You know, I get the Fictionwise newsletter all the time, too - though I hardly ever read it cause I have enough books waiting to be read and only care about a few 'significant' new releases. Never even thought to look once I got an email from Amazon. I guess the price you pay for lazyness is currently around $17.95. :oops:

db

Jorgen
09-01-2004, 08:40 PM
Try sending Contentlink an email, asking for a hefty rebate due to Fictionwise's initiative - tell them that it is better to have a satisfied customer rather than someone that remember their name with sorrow every time you read the book. If you have bought several books from them, they ought to do something?

Good luck!

How is the book anyway? Do one have to have read all the previous volumes in the series, just book 1 or can it be read alone?

Jorgen

Darren Behan
09-01-2004, 09:30 PM
I think I'm just going to have to take my lumps on this one since it's the only book I ever bought directly from them (it's Random House's online ebook store).

As far as the book itself goes, I haven't started it yet. Just came out yesterday and I'm almost at the end of another one so I probably won't get to it for another week or so. The 'true fan' would probably tell you to read all of the Shannara books (which is made up of several 'sub-series') from the very first book before reading this. If you are so inclined I would suggest it as well since some of the earlier books are really excellent and you get a real sense of history and attachment to some of the characters. Based on past experience you can get enough information from the book to read it by itself though but I'd at least read the previous (and first) book in the High Druid sub-series: Jarka Ruus before Tanequil.

db

Jorgen
09-01-2004, 09:55 PM
Thanks! Hmm, no more long series for me! I have done my duty (most of Prattchets extremely funny discworld, Ellis' wonderful Brother Cadfael, Clancy's Ryan ... (all these as paper books as it is some years ago).

Jorgen

Darren Behan
09-02-2004, 04:13 AM
Have to admit I'm partial to a good series. Problem is that most of the stuff I'm reading lately takes too long between books (Terry Goodkind - Sword of Truth, Kate Elliott - Crown Of Stars & worst of all Robert Jordan - Wheel of Time). The other problem is that none of these folks are distributing their works as eBooks yet which is pretty much all I read these days.

I've pretty much given up on Clancy, he made Ryan too whiny (Ooh, it shouldn't be so hard to be the president, blah, blah, blah) for my taste though his early stuff is absolutely unparalleled for spy thrillers IMHO.
Actually never heard of the other authors that you mentioned but if they ain't makin' eBooks, I probably ain't reading them.

db

Jorgen
09-02-2004, 06:15 AM
I have never seen Ellis and Pratchett as ebooks. They were anyway just examples of long series - there are many more (starting with Tarzan back in those days). Clancy was - like everyone else - best in the beginning; the authors probably become to human (or perhaps realistic?) in their older days. :) His books are anyway not available as e-books.

And, yes, today I nearly only read e-books.

Jorgen

Alastria
09-03-2004, 08:25 PM
I've never been able to get into the Clancy books myself, but I'm re-reading the Wheel of Time books at the moment. I tried to start re-read the Sword of Truth books from the beginning and realized, wow, these books are kinda boring...Especially when I realize it's been SOOO long since I read from the first book of them to Naked Empire (8th book). Goodkind just keeps dragging out the series and not making much headway with it. But I am always on the look out for other series. Currently have all the Terry Brooks books (Shannara, Heritage, Landover, Voyage of Jerle Shannara, and Word & Void) except for Tanequil, haven't had a chance to read them yet...maybe I'll read them next instead of re-reading what I've got and know and love... :)

Oh, and still impatiently awaiting 7th and final Dark Tower book :drools:

crashdau
01-11-2005, 05:33 PM
If you're looking for other good/great series type books, try:

- J.V. Jones (The Book of Words Series) (The Sword of Shadows Series)
- Robert Newcomb (The Chronicles of Blood and Stone Series)
- Raymond E. Feist ( The Conclave of Shadows Series)
- Rick Shelley (The Varayan Memoirs)
- Robin Hobb (The Tawny Man Trilogy) (The Farseer Series)
- David B. Coe (The Lobtobyn Chronicles)

Some were not the best, but, they definitely kept me interested.

beer980
01-13-2005, 02:36 AM
Jorgen are you saying that Clancy has no ebooks?

Jorgen
01-13-2005, 08:34 AM
Yes, authors like Clancy, Rowling and Grisham have in interviews declared that they will not allow their books published as ebooks. Rowling declared it was on advice from her lawyer.

Luckily, authors such as Crichton, Gibson, Silverberg, Preston/Child to mention a few are available as ebooks from for example Fictionwise.

Jorgen

beer980
01-14-2005, 01:50 AM
I have some from Grisham and Clancy so maybe they changed their mind.

Jorgen
01-14-2005, 08:06 AM
beer980, where did you buy them?

There are undoubtedly somewhere on the Internet illegally OCR'ed books by any popular author, especially if the books are not available for sale. I read somewhere that a Harry Potter book were scanned, OCRed and prooofread out before the printed one (published different days in different countries).

Jorgen