View Full Version : Dell X50 Rumors Surface -- With VGA

Janak Parekh
08-30-2004, 03:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=2201' target='_blank'>http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=2201</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Here's a rare treat--rare because Dell usually keeps a very tight lid on their upcoming models. A source, who shall remain anonymous on the hope that Dell's black ops team won't find him and terminate him, has revealed information recieved by his company from Dell about the next generation Axim. According to the report, the Axim X50 will have three different models in its line, with the highest using a 3.7 inch VGA screen."</i><br /><br />There are a few more rumors on the linked article, like the fact that the scheduled release date is in the October time frame, but they're a little vague... let's hope this pans out and becomes a worthy contender for top-of-the-line Pocket PC. 8)

whydidnt
08-30-2004, 03:15 PM
If this doesn't get HP motivated to release the HX4700 soon, I'm not sure what will.

8)

Birdman
08-30-2004, 03:27 PM
Please, please an unlocked phone edition device with a built in keyboard, please, please.

My XDA I is creaking, creaking, but still holding on.

Darius Wey
08-30-2004, 03:27 PM
If this doesn't get HP motivated to release the HX4700 soon, I'm not sure what will.

8)

The ever increasing "drool-ness factor" of the Asus MyPal A730. 8)

whydidnt
08-30-2004, 03:34 PM

Yes, though the drool factor of the Loox 720 is more of a motivator for me. However, in the US market, only Dell and HP remain as major players, and they would both rather slit their wrists than lose market share to the other. It's my hope that HP sees that Dell will soon be to market (probably at about 60% of the price) with a VGA device and decides to make it a priority to get these VGA machines out to the market NOW. We'll see! :D

kaitanium
08-30-2004, 05:49 PM
if it can top or meet the asus a730 in looks and specs and beat the price, im sold!

Tye
08-30-2004, 06:40 PM
I don't expect anyone to believe me but I hang out in a pub here in Austin where a lot of the Dell guys seem to meet. A few days ago I heard two of them talking about Dell's new PDA.

Between all the noise and the distance from them I could only pick out that they are definitely trying to compete with the HP stuff in quality and the prices probably won't be the lowball prices like the rest of the x series.

Last year I overheard some guys talking about the new Bluetooth x3's and knew they were real long before most people. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of pulling out my 2200 and striking up a conversation. They were scared to death that I'd post what I heard on a site like PPCT. Being a "man of my word" I kept my mouth shut.
This time, I didn't talk to the guys and just listened as much as possible.

mvv_hyd
08-30-2004, 06:58 PM
If the said specs are true.......then I'm sold for it.. as I see the real competetor would be HX4705 which is $650... so, if X50 is significantly less than (I think it would be going by the history), this is a definite buy for me

gibson042
08-30-2004, 07:12 PM
Please, please an unlocked phone edition device with a built in keyboard, please, please.

Second!

Wilbert
08-30-2004, 08:16 PM

Second!

This will be comming, but not with this model...

Dell has some pretty cool idea's in the pipe that NO ONE has done yet with a PDA. :wink:

The x50 will be pretty cool, and like Dell has done in the past I am sure they will price the unit pretty low compaired to HP.

Ryan Joseph
08-30-2004, 08:23 PM
...like Dell has done in the past I am sure they will price the unit pretty low compaired to HP.

That's what I'm hoping. I'd love a VGA device, but they're SO expensive that I can't see ditching my i-mate for one yet. But if the Dell is priced low enough, it may make me switch back to the dual-device side of the world. :wink:

tthiel
08-30-2004, 09:18 PM
I'm sure HP does not consider Asus to be any kind of competition. Dell is another story.

8)

isilver
08-30-2004, 11:41 PM
right now in my opinion it is only rumor. I think it's a little early for the X50 to be relased. The x30 hasn't even been out for 6 months yet. I know that Dell does have amazing secrecy and I don't think they would let this information slip.

But on the lighter side I hope all these rumors are true. I am planning to purchase a new Pocket PC around October and if it has SD, CF, WiFI, and Bluetooth then I will be sold. I would be able to replace one Axim for another newer model. :D

mrkablooey
08-31-2004, 12:33 AM
There are a few more rumors on the linked article, like the fact that the scheduled release date is in the October time frame, but they're a little vague... let's hope this pans out and becomes a worthy contender for top-of-the-line Pocket PC. 8)

It all started here on PPCThoughts, Janak!

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31688

pdafreak
08-31-2004, 12:57 AM
There are a few more rumors on the linked article, like the fact that the scheduled release date is in the October time frame, but they're a little vague... let's hope this pans out and becomes a worthy contender for top-of-the-line Pocket PC. 8)

Hi,

I am new to this site. What a great site! I wouldn't put a whole lotta stock in what that guy said. Common sence would say that Dell's next device would offer VGA. They have always offered three models for x5, x3, and x30...basic, middle, and advanced. Nothing that any of us could not have guessed ourselves

Besides, if the device was so close...how come the device isn't listed on FCC's web site. How come the guy got so quite all of a sudden? He never backed up any of his claims. I have always been a skeptic. Like someone said before...why would Dell release another device so soon after the x30?

I still plan on buying an x30. This "rumored" Axim could be months away, if it even exists.

Ben

nuka_t
08-31-2004, 12:59 AM
DAMN. my X30 is coming in a couple days. :cry: :cry:

i feel like a mac user that bought a G4 the day before the G5's were released. :(

pdafreak
08-31-2004, 01:05 AM
DAMN. my X30 is coming in a couple days. :cry: :cry:

i feel like a mac user that bought a G4 the day before the G5's were released. :(

I know what you mean. But the release of the G5 didn't suddenly make the G4 worthless. I've never been one to always have the latest and greatest.

I'm still ordering my x30. I have always believed in buying whatever you can afford at the time. Otherwise you'll always be waiting for the "next big thing"

ignar
08-31-2004, 02:55 AM
I am new to this site. What a great site! I wouldn't put a whole lotta stock in what that guy said. Common sence would say that Dell's next device would offer VGA. They have always offered three models for x5, x3, and x30...basic, middle, and advanced. Nothing that any of us could not have guessed ourselves

Besides, if the device was so close...how come the device isn't listed on FCC's web site. How come the guy got so quite all of a sudden? He never backed up any of his claims. I have always been a skeptic. Like someone said before...why would Dell release another device so soon after the x30?

I still plan on buying an x30. This "rumored" Axim could be months away, if it even exists.

Ben

Actually, I will be surprised if Dell is not working on a VGA PocketPC by now. I think X50 is very real and only the question is when it will be available. Regarding to the FCC list thing, I heard manufacturers can ask FCC not to release the information until certain date. Finally, X30 and X50 are aiming at different target market. I suspect X50 will be priced around $450 to $550 range while X30 is around $300. There is not much overlapping between two, and I suppose Dell wants customers who have 4150 or better and have no intention to upgrade unless a new model has a VGA.

jlp
08-31-2004, 03:14 AM
Just because Dell released the X30 recently doesn't precludes them from releasing another device. Look at HP they're releasing over half a dozen devices withing a few weeks!!

So Dell has a lot of work to do to keep up :twisted:.

pdafreak
08-31-2004, 03:28 AM
Just because Dell released the X30 recently doesn't precludes them from releasing another device. Look at HP they're releasing over half a dozen devices withing a few weeks!!

Could be. But Dell has always been a master at keeping their costs down. I believe that they have manged to do that, in part, by limiting the number of devices they offer.

I think that is why HP's tend to cost more.

nuka_t
08-31-2004, 05:56 AM

Could be. But Dell has always been a master at keeping their costs down. I believe that they have manged to do that, in part, by limiting the number of devices they offer.

I think that is why HP's tend to cost more.

its because ipaq is a household name, much like palm pilot is. sonys cost as much and have more ram, double screen resoution, headphone jacks, everything, and people still buy palm over sony.

PJE
08-31-2004, 02:57 PM
Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/entry/3508495527327039/) has a picture...

Spec calls out:

3.7-inch VGA resolution LCD screen,
624MHz processor,
128MB of RAM,
64MB of ROM,
built-in 802.11g WiFi and Bluetooth,
a removable battery 1800mAh,
and dual CompactFlash and SD expansion card slots.

Duncan
08-31-2004, 03:54 PM
The specs would seem to be wrong in at least one respect:

The battery appears to be 1100 mAh (with a 2200 mAh extended one available).

There will be two models - one with just BT and one dual wireless.

I reckon that the 802.11g spec is just wishful thinking on someone's part too!

https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/cf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=436164&fcc_id='NM8HC3UL'

The piture of the rear - on the FCC site - makes it very unlikely that the 'leaked' engadget pic is accurate. The shape is all wrong.

mvv_hyd
08-31-2004, 03:54 PM

Ben

Actually, I will be surprised if Dell is not working on a VGA PocketPC by now. I think X50 is very real and only the question is when it will be available. Regarding to the FCC list thing, I heard manufacturers can ask FCC not to release the information until certain date. Finally, X30 and X50 are aiming at different target market. I suspect X50 will be priced around $450 to $550 range while X30 is around $300. There is not much overlapping between two, and I suppose Dell wants customers who have 4150 or better and have no intention to upgrade unless a new model has a VGA.

I agree with that..... they should be coming out with VGA one... otherwise they will loose market to HP....... but, as Ben mentioned they should not outdate X30s so for those who want to save bucks and doesn't need a VGA screen, they can buy these.....

goirish!!
08-31-2004, 07:17 PM

Hi,

Ben

I would think, and HOPE, that the VGA X30 should price in closer to the $400-450 range. I only base that on past Dell releases (rebates and all).

If this unit actually comes to be a reality I'm all over that one!!!!!!!!!!

Ryan Joseph
08-31-2004, 07:40 PM
Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/entry/3508495527327039/) has a picture...

Spec calls out:

3.7-inch VGA resolution LCD screen,
624MHz processor,
128MB of RAM,
64MB of ROM,
built-in 802.11g WiFi and Bluetooth,
a removable battery 1800mAh,
and dual CompactFlash and SD expansion card slots.

I really doubt that's an actual picture. It looks WAY too much like the X5..with an X3's antenna stuck on top. Dell doesn't release information like this. I bet it looks different than that picture.

And I agree that the wireless G is probably false. It'd sure be nice, but it's probably just speculation.

whydidnt
08-31-2004, 07:41 PM
Thanks to Duncan for the FCC link - looks like they asked for a confidentiality date of 9/24/04. This thing could be coming sooner, rather than later. :mrgreen:

Interesting that HTC is building both the HP and IPaq models - if I remember correctly, the HP filing asked for a confidentiality date of around the same time - was it 9/27 or something? Wonder if there is some sort of agreement with HTC not to ship one before the other. If I was negotiating for Dell or HP, I might be inclined to request something along those lines.

PPCRules
08-31-2004, 10:38 PM
Looks like a nice unit, or series of units. I'm actually more interested in what the two lower priced units might be like.

As much as I'd like a VGA screen on a Pocket PC, that's one thing I can't justify paying the price premium these are likely to enjoy for quite a while. But Dell is bound to speed up that decrease in price.

But, please, no camera!

mvv_hyd
09-01-2004, 01:31 AM
Looks like a nice unit, or series of units. I'm actually more interested in what the two lower priced units might be like.

As much as I'd like a VGA screen on a Pocket PC, that's one thing I can't justify paying the price premium these are likely to enjoy for quite a while. But Dell is bound to speed up that decrease in price.

But, please, no camera!

Yeah..... it would be better is no camera is included...but chances are very less

tw
09-01-2004, 01:37 AM
The FCC site lists actually two models. One is called NM8HC3UL and is BT-only. The other one is called NM8HC3U and has WiFi + BT.

PPCRules
09-01-2004, 03:49 PM
...why would Dell release another device so soon after the x30?
1) Market share
2) They have a big hole without a VGA unit, and stand to miss out on the associated price (to them, profit) premium.

To point 1), HP is gearing up for a big push right now. Dell can't say "let's wait because it's too close to the previous release" and let HP get all the sales their new products will bring in if Dell can indeed have products ready. This is a decisive point in the battle for at least near-term market share.

In the past, Dell has not offered a plethera of models but if they want to move their share up from where it has been sitting, this is something they will have to do. They also have the no-retail-presence working against them, so they have to do what they can.

Johnny_S
09-17-2004, 06:19 PM
Why is the MyPal 730 overlooked as when speaking of the hp and the X50?

whydidnt
09-17-2004, 06:40 PM
Why is the MyPal 730 overlooked as when speaking of the hp and the X50?

I'm not sure it's really overlooked, however, it does have a couple of forces working against it.

First, it looks like it will have very limited distribution in the US, with only one vendor selling it presently.

2nd, it is not running the faster 624mhz processor, as the HP is, and the Dell is rumored to be.

3rd, it does not provide a dedicated graphics processor to help with graphics chores.

Whether the last two make a huge difference in real world performance is yet to be determined. But for me to plunk down $600 for a PDA, I'd just as soon get the best "specs" possible.