View Full Version : How do i know that i need a rom upgrade??

sunnyawesome
08-28-2004, 07:53 AM
I've 2215 which i have bought recently.
I know that hp has posted a rom upgrade for my model but how willi know that i need it??

sunny

Darius Wey
08-28-2004, 09:24 AM
Are you experiencing any issues with your device at the moment?

Usually updates are reserved for one of the following reasons:

(1) You are experiencing issues and the ROM update will fix it
(2) You would like to gain access to any new updates that the ROM update provides

If one of these satisfies your criteria, then by all means feel free to update the ROM of your device, but do note that you must be aware of all the issues that can arise from a ROM update. As a ROM update can fix problems, it too may bring about other problems. Also be aware that flash upgrading a ROM is not a simple process, and that you must follow the instructions carefully, otherwise you may render your device unusable if a flash upgrade were to go wrong.

Kowalski
08-28-2004, 12:58 PM
"It is necessery not to change if it is not necessery to change"
So if you dont have any problems, and happy with your device than i advice you not to upgrade your rom because:
1) you have to install all the applications from beginning, including the apps in the rom
2) you may have some problems after the rom update (some people have problems after the upgrade)
3) if anything goes wrong during the upgrade, you can have a dead device (i have never heard of this but could be)

Darius Wey
08-28-2004, 04:26 PM
If you do choose to upgrade your ROM, be wary that you should not use your USB connection through a hub. You must have a direct USB connection to your main USB ports. Many a time have I seen people do it through their hubs and rendered their devices unusable after an unsuccessful flash. While some people may have been lucky and got away with it (I've heard of these cases too), you wouldn't want to take the risk.

Hope this is a helpful tip. 8)