View Full Version : iPAQ 6315 and WiFi issues

Wojo
08-27-2004, 07:21 PM
I hope this helps someone, anyone....

I've had some glitches connecting to my WiFi with my 6315. Here's my scenario:

SSID Broadcasting - off
DHCP Server - VPN Router

It attempted to connect but then drop immediately. Now, if I leave it alone for a while it will connect. I've had this in the past with other PPC's but not this bad. I've read other users having issues with NON-Broadcasting SSID's (I haven't tested with a Broadcasted SSID yet). I tend to hide all SSID's once the WLAN is configured and running.

So what I'm assuming is that it's having a tough time getting an IP address before it times out. What I've done is configured the MAC address of the 6315 in my VPN router and assigned it an IP address. This works flawlessly and fast.

Interesting thing is the MAC address wasn't easy to find (either that or I've been out of the loop too long and just don't know where to find it) and my router never displayed it as a connected device even though it assigned an IP address to it. So here's what I did:

Your device needs to be connected on to WLAN in order to do this.

1. Waited for my device to lock on my WLAN
2. Download vxUtil www.cam.com/vxutil.html
3. Tap the "I" and it will display the IP Addresses of all the connected hardware. Scoll to the bottom and your Wifi adapter and find your IP address.
4. Open a command prompt on your PC and see if you can ping the 6315
5. If you can then type arp -a
this will display a list of IP address and their MAC addresses.
6. Configure your router to assign the PPC MAC address a specific IP address and you should be ready to go.

Forgot... Turn the WiFi on/off on your 6315 then run vxUtil to confirm the assigned IP address.

Let me know how this works. I'll update as I test my device on other WLAN.

Wojo

Wojo
08-28-2004, 07:25 PM
Sorry everyone. It seems that this did not fix my issue. I back to the original problem.

Wojo