View Full Version : Gmail for Software

gregmills
08-27-2004, 05:37 PM
I just discovered that over in my Gmail account I have a few invites waiting to be given away. I can't think fo anything I would like more than some cool new PPC software so I'll offer my Gmail invites in trade. You could pick your own account name before Gmail goes public and all the good ones get taken!

Developers, all it would cost you would be a registration code. ;)

If anyone else has a software license they don't use anymore I'd be glad to entertain those offers too.

Private message me and let me know what you've got and we'll see if we can make a deal! You can e-mail me too at greg (at) gregmills (dot) com

Steven Cedrone
08-27-2004, 07:57 PM
If anyone else has a software license they don't use anymore I'd be glad to entertain those offers too.

I suppose you had better make sure the license is transferable first...

Steve

gregmills
08-27-2004, 09:16 PM
Sure thing Mr. Cedrone!

Steven Cedrone
08-27-2004, 09:19 PM
:way to go:

tourdewolf
08-29-2004, 12:23 AM
I can't seem to find it now but I read not long ago that google changed the TOS for invites to disallow trading them for monetary gain, or something to that nature in response to the flood of fleebay resellers. FWIW

gregmills
08-29-2004, 03:34 AM
a) I'm not asking for money
b) Nobody's offering any software

I'll go read the TOS though. Thanks.

Maced
08-29-2004, 10:12 PM
I'm giving them away freely.. just email me if you want one... it's not right to charge people for them (I have at least 30 spanning across several accounts)

christak
08-30-2004, 12:50 AM
I'm giving them away freely.. just email me if you want one... it's not right to charge people for them (I have at least 30 spanning across several accounts)

I'd love to have one... Check your PM's...
8)

JustinGTP
08-30-2004, 01:42 AM

You too, then, are violating their agreement. Here, it says: http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/program_policies_redline.html

"Create multiple accounts"

gregmills
08-30-2004, 01:55 AM

How righteous of you. You're not supposed to have more than one account smart alec.

tourdewolf
08-30-2004, 04:27 AM
These guys would love to discuss extra gmail accounts http://www.gmailswap.com/

ludzh
08-31-2004, 12:43 AM
These guys would love to discuss extra gmail accounts http://www.gmailswap.com/

Thanks for the post... I registered, made a quick post as to why I would like to have a Gmail account, and bingo! I had three replies within a minute.

I've got my own account now, and if I should be given any extra invites I will surely pass them along!

--Heather :D

SteveHoward999
08-31-2004, 02:06 AM
Why are we supposed to be so excited about Gmail accounts? Seems like all they are is a way for your email to be snooped-upon and for SPAM to be fed right into your eyes.

What did I miss?

Steve

christak
08-31-2004, 04:35 AM
I got one at gmailswap too... If anyone wants an account, head over there...

8)

Darius Wey
08-31-2004, 06:30 AM
Why are we supposed to be so excited about Gmail accounts? Seems like all they are is a way for your email to be snooped-upon and for SPAM to be fed right into your eyes.

What did I miss?

Steve

There's a lot of hype going on about this "snooping" business. No physical human being actually sits down and reads people's mail (well...at least we wouldn't think so anyway); I doubt they have the resources to do this anyway. The whole "snooping" rumour going around only refers to the fact that a machine scans your email for keywords and delivers personalised ads on the right of each email you send or receive.

SteveHoward999
08-31-2004, 07:17 AM
There's a lot of hype going on about this "snooping" business. No physical human being actually sits down and reads people's mail (well...at least we wouldn't think so anyway); I doubt they have the resources to do this anyway. The whole "snooping" rumour going around only refers to the fact that a machine scans your email for keywords and delivers personalised ads on the right of each email you send or receive.

Yes I understand the nature of what the snooping is **supposed** to be. Should have made that clear.

Still - assuming there is never ever going to be any sort of privacy breach by the purely electronic snooping ... why on earth would people be queing up to have all these ads added to their email? Haven't we all been yelling as we are buried under an ever-growing avalanch of SPAM over the last year or two? :bangin:

It never ceases to amaze me how people swallow the hype put out by people trying to sell stuff to us. :robot:

Steve

mrkablooey
08-31-2004, 11:02 AM
Still - assuming there is never ever going to be any sort of privacy breach by the purely electronic snooping ... why on earth would people be queing up to have all these ads added to their email? Haven't we all been yelling as we are buried under an ever-growing avalanch of SPAM over the last year or two? :bangin:

Sounds like you're not quite sure how it works.

Go to google and do a search. Do you see any ads on the resulting page(s)? That's what the email looks like. The ads are to the side of the message, much like they're at the side of the search results.

There are no spam messages at all, and in fact, after having all my mail forwarded to gmail (except AOL which doesn't do it), I've seen NO spam at all. The spam folder gets quite busy though, so I do delete it every few days. But I don't get any spam in the mailbox itself.

SteveHoward999
08-31-2004, 02:34 PM
I understand how it works, thanks. So far as I am concerned, all adverts are unwanted when I am reading email, so all adverts are SPAM.

Steve

mrkablooey
09-01-2004, 02:10 AM
Do you use Google as your search engine?

SteveHoward999
09-01-2004, 02:26 AM
Not unless I I have a specific need to search newsgroups and don't already know which newsgroup I should be looking at.

Google is full of adverts. Copernic isn't.

Steve

mrkablooey
09-01-2004, 11:14 AM
Then Gmail is definitely not for you! :wink: