View Full Version : Need help with GS Player!!!

nategesner
08-27-2004, 07:02 AM
I've been checking this program out for the last week, and have run into a few problems. I can't find a help file anywhere on the net, so I am asking for help from other users. Here we go:

1. When adding files to the playlist, I click on the button that highlights all files in a folder. It highlights them, but when I click on the "ok" button, it only adds one song to the playlist. How do I add all files in a folder?

2. I try adding multiple songs using the "control" icon or by opening my keyboard and using the "control" key. It sometimes works for a few files, but not many. I've tried tapping the screen lightly, tapping hard, tapping fast, tapping slow, tapping and holding, etc. But it keeps grabbing the files and jumping back to the player. ARGH! When building a playlist in GS Player, both of these functions work like they should. Is this just a bug?

3. How do I build a playlist on my PC and then save it to my Ipaq? I use MusicMatch Jukebox, if that helps.

4. I've read that I can set an alarm at 6am and then GS Player will start playing whatever song I have selected. Does anyone have instructions on how to do this? I had a song selected, left GS Player open, and selected "Start playback at startup" in the options menu. However, nothing happened when the alarm went off. Do I have to push "Play" and then turn my Ipaq off?

5. Any suggestions for setting the sound enhancements? The songs sound great without any enhancements, but maybe a little eq tweak would make them even better. I typically listen to pop/rock, with a mix of country, classical, etc.

For those that have not tried this program, I highly recommend it. This is one of the best free programs I have and it is getting a lot of use from me!

terrypin
08-27-2004, 10:21 AM
I can't help with your queries, nategesner, but I hope you won't mind my chipping in with one of my own. I've been trying to find an email address for the author. Do you have one please? I simply want to ask if he/she plans to add WMA support to GS Player.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.

Ripper014
08-27-2004, 05:11 PM
It's been a while since I used GSPlayer... but it is my player of choice. I'll try and answer your questions.

1) Select ""Find File" select the file where your songs are and click on ok...

2) I can't answer this one... as I have always just selected a whole file folder of music.

3) I MisRead your question at first... I don't think you can build a playlist from your desktop... since you need to direct GSPlayer back to the location of your songs. But once you have selected your songs... you should be able to create a playlist with the "Save Playlist" function in GSPlayer.

4) I am not aware of an alarm clock function... though I know that there is a sleep mode. HOWEVER... I think that WolfClock allows this function... (well at least with one song... and it will ramp up the volume if you don't turn it off)

5) There is a built in equalizer... you will find it in the "Tool" section under "Effects"

nategesner
08-28-2004, 05:27 PM
Terrypin: From what I've seen/heard, the maker isn't too interested in going that route. If you go to the web site, you will see the creator doesn't put much effort into pushing the product, which makes me wonder how it got so far in the first place. If you still want to contact him, go to brighthand.com and do a search for GS Player. Some of the posts have a link to the page and that might have an e-mail address.

Ripper:

1) For some reason I never tried adding a folder. I'll give it a shot.

2) skipped

3) According to other posters, you can build a playlist on the PC and then transfer it to the pc. I know how to build them with GS Player, but it can be time-consuming with hundreds of songs.

4) GS Player has a "Start playback upon wakeup" or something like that. It's supposed to start playing when your PDA starts up with an alarm. Problem is, you have to open GS Player, start the song playing, and then turn the PPC off. When it wakes up, GS Player will resume playing. That's not the greatest way to build an alarm, but I got it working.

5) I've used the equalizer and other settings, but was wondering if anyone had suggested settings for optimum output. It seems like the eq just distorts my music unless I drop the pre-amp down a notch. I've used the reverb, echo, surround, and 3D settings, but they only sound good on certain types of music. I've since decided to just play my music with default settings and it sounds great. No point in fiddling for hours to try and perfect something that already sounds better than anything I had before!

Anyway, thanks for the help. I got a response from the creator of "MortPlayer" and I'm going to check out his product. It's supposedly as good as GS Player but has more features. For example, he has an actual alarm clock setting. He also has skins that feature big buttons so you can operate the whole thing with your fingers instead of a stylus. It's also 100% free. I think there's even an add-in so you can operate the whole thing from a small bar on your Today screen. I checked this program out before and didn't like the skin so I dumped it. But now that I've read more about it, it sounds like a better option than GS Player. And unlike GS Player, I noticed the creator of MortPlayer is VERY VERY active in getting feedback from users on brighthand.com and building a better product.

http://www.sto-helit.de/freeware/pocketpc/mortplayer/en/index.pl

Ripper014
08-28-2004, 08:54 PM
No problem... I still like GSPlayer and will continue to use it...

Th feature you are referring to I think... will on start-up continue the song where it left off... I do not think it is an alarm of any type.