View Full Version : Pocket PCTechs replacement grips?

KiLLiN-TiMe
08-26-2004, 11:40 PM
I own an HP Ipaq 2200, and like most of you, my grips on the side of my unit have turned to junk. The tab at the bottom of the right grip has broken off and the grip keeps sliding up. The rubber coating is pealing back at the top and catches on my case. :bad-words:

I have had this happen once before. Naturally I called HP and they were more than helpful (after spending 20 minutes on hold and being transferred three times :roll: ) to help me out by sending me a “Plastic’s Kit".

Problem is, when I called HP this time, they informed me that my warranty was up on the 10th and this was the 25th, and that I would have to purchase a “Plastic’s Kit” for the “low price of $24.00” :!:

So that answers that question… they will support their mistakes until your warranty is up. 8O

I know Pocket PCTechs makes a soulition to this problem. I have checked out their website and this one and read rave reviews. But I haven’t seen anything recently. So a couple of questions to anyone who can help.

1. Has the color worn off from sitting in a case or being scratched?

2. Does anyone have the “Chrome” ones? I love the looks of the chrome D-pad, and would think that if it looks the same as that, it would make for one sharp looking machine. Please post pictures if you can!!!

3. Do you still feel the same about your investment?

I really cant see sending another 24 bucks to a company that cant fix a simple problem such as this, so that I can turn around in another six months and do it again. :roll:

Ripper014
08-26-2004, 11:53 PM
If your warranty is up... you do not have much of a choice. The grips from PPCTech though expensive are better than the Hp alternative. I have my original grips in my Sena case... I just felt that if I was going to spend $40 on something I would rather have a case.

Chris Spera
08-26-2004, 11:56 PM
I have the silver grips (textured, where the chrome are smooth) and love them. I sent the device in, Leonard did the upgrade and shipped me a wonderful looking device. I'm glad I did the sliver (the chrome didn't exist at the time) as opposed to the colored. The device looks really sharp as all one color, so the chrome should look really good.

Hope that helps!

Steven Cedrone
08-27-2004, 03:35 AM
I have the black ones. No problems at all with them! They look just as good as the day I put them on my device!

Steve

KiLLiN-TiMe
08-27-2004, 10:01 PM
All right… I broke down and ordered the Chrome set of side covers today. I can’t wait to see how they look with my device. 8)

I still can’t believe I spent over sixty bucks on side covers!!! But at least HP won’t be getting my money! I am still a little piffed over this whole deal! My warranty was up by like 17 days. And the worst part is that my side covers have been messed up for over a month. I've just been too busy to call!
:bad-words:
Sorry for my rant... :oops:

pootp
08-30-2004, 12:56 AM
Anyone know any good places to buy the PPCtechs side grips in Canada?

Thanks...

D.psi
08-30-2004, 08:15 PM
I ordered mine from handheldcanada.com. The order seemed to vanish into fat air. Got no shipping notifications, no indication that the order went through (other than the initial robotic reply).

Then all of a sudden, as I had just given up, they showed up in the mail (Canada Post).

D.psi

Perk
08-31-2004, 04:04 AM
I'm really interested in the chromes. I'm on my third bad hp set. I have an exteded defective exchange warranty with hp so I need to know if they are user replaceable. One of the posts indicated sending it in.

Also, at that price, are they plastichrome or chrome plated metal?

Thanks,
Mike

mrkablooey
08-31-2004, 11:16 AM
Perk,

you can do it yourself. I believe there are instructions on the site, but basically you pop off your old grips, and note a small screw at the top of the unit (on each side). Unscrew that screw and slip the new grip into place. Use a newly supplied (longer) screw to hold the grip into place with the existing hole. The grips clip on like the ones you are removing, then the screw holds them in place.*

As for material, they're definitely metal, hence the cost. Everyone that got them loves them, there are a few threads here and elsewhere about them.

*I base this on readings and pictures, not actually having done it.... someone who HAS done it correct me if I'm wrong in there. :wink:

Steven Cedrone
08-31-2004, 12:58 PM
I have an exteded defective exchange warranty with hp so I need to know if they are user replaceable. One of the posts indicated sending it in.

Mike,

Take a look here:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25770&

Steve

spinedoc
08-31-2004, 02:33 PM
I got the silver ones, they do not fit perfectly, allowing gaps at the top and the bottom. I fixed this by bending them at the middle a bit, still does not fit 100% but fairly close. You would think that for $40 they would fit perfectly.

Otherwise Im pretty happy with them, use my Pocket PC mainly as a MP3 player in the gym, very heavy workout with weights, cardio, and punching bag, they are VERY durable. The 2215 itself is very durable also!