View Full Version : Newbie buying his first pocket pc phone

kumarpr2
08-26-2004, 04:29 AM
Hey what’s up. I am getting ready to buy my first pocket pc phone in the next week or so. I have never owned a PDA or Palm based handheld. My current cell phone contract ended this month and I am ready to get something new. I am looking at the new Ipaq at t-mobile that everyone is talking about.
One of things holding me back is if I buy the phone and stop using the pda after a month and then I am stuck with a really big cell phone. I have fooled around with my friends Toshiba and like it but that is the extent of my pocket pc experience. Has this happened to any one else out there, you buy a smart phone and you love all of the features but after a little while you stop using all of these cool features and you just use the phone?
Instead of the sales person at T-mobile trying to sell me this phone could people of the forum tell me the stuff I can do with a pocket pc other then playing mediocre games, using word, and other scheduling programs? For example, can I download a p2p service onto my phone and share files? Can I visit any website or am I restricted to websites formatted for pocket pc? Also is there such a thing as a virus or spy ware for a pocket pc? If so is there a virus scan? Is buying something on your pocket pc any less or more secure then buying something normally online? I know t-mobile will let you have unlimited data transfer for $20 a month, that is one of the major reasons I want to go with t-mobile.
Lastly I am staring my MBA over here in the states in the next week. This summer, 2005 summer, I plan on doing a study aboard program in London. I know the phone will work there but I also know that the cost is going to be much higher. Is it possible to get a local European provider to carry me for the three months that I am over there? Thanks in advance for all of your info.

Snarf
08-26-2004, 06:00 PM
<< I am getting ready to buy my first pocket pc phone in the next week or so. >>

<< One of things holding me back is if I buy the phone and stop using the pda after a month and then I am stuck with a really big cell phone. I >>

If you're not sure you want one, why are you getting ready to buy one?

O_o

Snarf

mrkablooey
08-26-2004, 06:34 PM
While this is a great site, you might also check out SmartPhoneThoughts.com (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com) as well.

Chris Spera
08-26-2004, 06:44 PM
You may also want to check out http://www.pdaphonehome.com as well. They have a great community over there that's just about PDA phones of all OS' and form factors. I'm over there a lot, and they are a huge help!