View Full Version : Maybe somebody can explain this to me

lottathought
08-25-2004, 10:46 AM
Ok, I bought the 2215..and I really like the unit.
I feel, however,that the time it takes to download something to my sd card is a slow when the unit is in the cradle.

I was not terribly worried about this as I know that I have a WIFI card on order.

So...the 802.11b WIFI card comes in.
And silly me...I am thinking that this card will actually allow me to download at 10MB/SEC.
I quickly find out however that I am getting roughly the same download speed with the WIFI card as I am with the cradle.

Here are the questions that I have.
Am I missing something that will increase my download speed on this unit?
If I am not missing something, why then did I essentially attach a Ferrari engine to a Go-cart?

ST8
08-25-2004, 02:12 PM
The problem i think is the sd interface on the hp22xxs. If you transfer to the internal memory you should find it to be fairly swift over wifi, but transferring anything to sd internally is painfully slow. I know of no fix :[

I find it easier to transfer stuff to the sd card via a card reader...

newst
08-25-2004, 02:47 PM
Part of the problem is that Activesync is incredibly slow in file transfers-regardless of what data transfer method you use. To make a fair comparison get a card reader for your PC and transfer the same files directly to the SD card.

Jeff Rutledge
08-25-2004, 04:58 PM
Yes, the two responses above are exactly right. If you're going to be transferring data to and from the SD card often, I highly recommend you look at a card reader for your PC.

Janak Parekh
08-26-2004, 03:27 AM
Part of the problem is that Activesync is incredibly slow in file transfers-regardless of what data transfer method you use. To make a fair comparison get a card reader for your PC and transfer the same files directly to the SD card.
Actually, that's not true -- AS is much faster over a WiFi solution (although, admittedly, it's probably still slower than a card reader).

--janak

lottathought
08-26-2004, 04:36 AM
Thanks guys.
I did not even think of a card reader and that is a great idea. :)
Me and my supped up Go-Cart thank you.

Sven Johannsen
08-26-2004, 05:29 AM
The other question is if you are connected via an Adhoc conection to the PC or to an Access Point. Then, are you still working via Active Sync or directly to a shared directory. If you can get to a shared directory and copy the file, you will find it faster than via AS.

apanther28
08-26-2004, 07:08 PM
A 10 buck card reader should solve your problem. Or like me, i usee a printer that acts as a card reader for all types.