View Full Version : WeatherPanel Update - MASSIVE UPDATE!

Darius Wey
08-25-2004, 10:42 AM
Thanks to Juni and mrkablooey for lighting the spark in WeatherPanel again.

WeatherPanel has been updated to 2.0, and it's a HUGE update since its previous 1.7 version.

Here are some features and options that the new WeatherPanel includes:

* Support for up to 6 cities
* Option for updated radar images
* Interchangeable units: Metric, Imperial and British
* Changeable panel size: Compact, Medium, Large
* Changeable icon set support
* Changeable time display options: None, Update Time, Local Time
* Ability to auto-rotate icon sets
* Ability to display the perceived temperature
* ClearType support (WOOHOO!)
* Transition animation support
* Automatic cycling
* Ability to turn off the display of country names
* Connection tweaking
* Detailed weather reports (see below)

Detailed today screen reports: WeatherPanel now shows conditions, humidity, temperature (maximum and minimum), UV, Wind Speed on the today screen.

If you tap on any day, you get a full detailed weather report: time of dawn and dusk, maximum and minimum temperature, wind speed and direction, humidity, visibility, UV, etc.

All detailed weather reports are in a flash-looking UI.

For those who do not have WeatherPanel, I have checked Handango and they have updated their trial to the new version.
So get WeatherPanel 2.0! This time, it's certainly a worthy investment. 8)

juni
08-25-2004, 12:15 PM
It is a great update for WeatherPanel :)

I posted another port at my site (these are the great Stardock weather icons):

http://www.kolumbus.fi/anders.ruohio/stard.png

http://www.kolumbus.fi/anders.ruohio/misc/stardock.png

They are in the "misc" section - click the picture in my sig to get to my site. :)

piperpilot
08-25-2004, 12:36 PM
I'm confused. Both Handango and PocketGear are still showing only v. 1.7, and there is no indication on the MarsWare web site that the program has been updated. Where are you all getting v. 2.0?

ChristopherTD
08-25-2004, 12:43 PM
I downloaded it from http://auth.marsware.net/download.html

It is a bit slow to update the very first time - be patient!!

piperpilot
08-25-2004, 01:00 PM
Wow, I just installed the update and it did something to the device that rendered it unusable and necessitated a hard reset!!! Darned good thing I automatically back up at 2:00 a.m. every day.

I tapped on WeatherPanel to configure it after installing the update. For some reason the default input method was set for my stowaway keyboard and couldn't be set for the soft keyboard. I performed a soft reset and instead of my Today screen, all I got was a grey screen with a red line running through the middle of it. After another soft reset with the same result, I had to do a hard reset. Weird!

mrkablooey
08-25-2004, 01:23 PM
Yowzers! I had none of that. :(

It's a nice program, the detailed forecast stuff is really nice looking! Don't forget to put some of Juni's icons in there...

Darius Wey
08-25-2004, 02:42 PM
I'm confused. Both Handango and PocketGear are still showing only v. 1.7, and there is no indication on the MarsWare web site that the program has been updated. Where are you all getting v. 2.0?

I haven't checked PocketGear, but Handango is the real deal. I know it only states 1.7, but if you check the updated date, it is within this month. I think Handango just forgot to switch it over to the current one (at the moment, it's 2.0.1). I even downloaded it to make sure. Give it a shot...you will be impressed. :D

Wow, I just installed the update and it did something to the device that rendered it unusable and necessitated a hard reset!!! Darned good thing I automatically back up at 2:00 a.m. every day.

That's very odd. I haven't heard of any other users experiencing the same problems. Perhaps there was just a wild little conflict on your device. Hope all works well now.

zilla31
08-25-2004, 02:53 PM
It is a great update for WeatherPanel :)

I posted another port at my site (these are the great Stardock weather icons):

http://www.kolumbus.fi/anders.ruohio/stard.png

http://www.kolumbus.fi/anders.ruohio/misc/stardock.png

They are in the "misc" section - click the picture in my sig to get to my site. :)

juni what pocketbreeze skin is that? and which other skins? thanks!!!!

zilla31
08-25-2004, 02:57 PM
i can't even FIND weather panel on handango with any kind of search - anyone got the URL? sorry for being a dumbass.

juni
08-25-2004, 02:59 PM
It is WATiger, get it from my site (in the "Wisbar Advance and today themes" section). The zip has a Wisbar Advance theme, extended Spb Pocket Plus today theme (works without Spb Pocket Plus too) and PocketBreeze & ContactBreeze skins.

Here is the WeatherPanel handango link:
http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?productType=2&optionId=1_2_2&jid=BCE413F1B136A6E1XE93B795B5DD9BF1&platformId=2&siteId=1&productId=120074&sectionId=0&catalog=30&txtSearch=weather

piperpilot
08-25-2004, 02:59 PM
i can't even FIND weather panel on handango with any kind of search - anyone got the URL? sorry for being a dumbass.

Just type in WeatherPanel with no space between the words and it will come up. I did it this way earlier today.

piperpilot
08-25-2004, 03:36 PM
This is getting just a little too weird. I uninstalled the drivers for my stowaway keyboard and then installed WeatherPanel. When I tap on WP to configure it, I no longer have any input options so I can't enter any zip codes for the cities I want weather information for. I then tap on the search button and I get a soft keyboard. I enter the cities that I want to follow and everything seems fine, except that the order of my Today screen is messed up. I like my Today screen in the following order:

Date
WeatherPanel
Calendar+
Tasks
Inbox
BatteryPack Program Bars
BatteryPack Battery Bar

After installing Weather Panel, the order is:

Date
Calendar+
Inbox
Tasks
BatteryPack Program Bars
WeatherPanel
BatteryPack Battery Bar

I go to Settings ---> Today and reorder the items. Everything is back in its proper place except that the Inbox still appears before Tasks even though I put them in the opposite order.

Frustrated, I decide to just go back to the old version of WeatherPanel by restoring from my backup. I restored it but Sprite Backup gave me an error report stating that Weather Panel, Battery Pack and Calendar+ are not playing well in the sand box. I fear that I am going to have reconstitute my whole device to get things working properly again. Needless to say, I am :cry:

juni
08-25-2004, 05:23 PM
Try this: Remove the old version first, then use a regeditor to remove any trace of the old version in the registry ...and from the \windows directory get rid of wpdata*, wpres*, wpsettings* (in fact, any file that starts with "wp").

Then install the latest version.

mrkablooey
08-26-2004, 02:22 AM

i couldn't either. their search SUCKS now.

bought it directly from marsware cheaper anyway. :D

Darius Wey
08-26-2004, 02:27 AM
For those having trouble with Handango, go to this page:

http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?productType=2&optionId=1_2_2&jid=5DCE36EACAF3B3512723695DC6XB4BC1&platformId=2&siteId=1&productId=120074&sectionId=0&catalog=30&txtSearch=weatherpanel

Despite it saying version 1.7, it is in fact 2.0.1.
As you can see, the update date is 25/08/04. So it's fresh from the oven. :D