View Full Version : Software bugs(?) on installed password protection programs

Kiwi Nomad
08-25-2004, 07:26 AM
I have an I-mate running PPC2003.

After a hard reset I reloaded software, but 2 password protection programs I had been evaluating - CodeStore and MyAccounts - were unusable as the bottom taskbar would not appear. I totally removed these programs and did soft reset then re-installed, but same problem. then I tried removing all the other software applications, including Total Commander which I had recently installed after the hard reset (didn't use before) but this had no effect either. Then I downloaded & tried another password protection program demo - ckdWallet - and lo & behold, the same problem. No bottom taskbar, & therefore unable to do anything!

Other installed programs are running fine, including new applications I have recently downloaded & installed. Just these 3 applications mentioned at the moment aren't working. I'm pretty sure that they have been installed correctly as the shortcuts appear in the Programs menu. Just when you execute, they open but they don't work. In fact when you tap on keyboard there is a blank space where the bottom taskbar should be.

I have removed & installed programs to both main memory and the SD storage card but this doesn't seem to make a difference.

This really has me stumped? I'm not sure if it's a software conflict, or something wrong with the imate hardware.

Does anyone have similar problem/experience?

Any suggestions appreciated.

David

JimPAQ
08-25-2004, 07:09 PM
Kiwi,

This may be a stupid question, since you said other programs are running fine. Are you testing other programs that have a taskbar at the bottom? Also, what happens when you bring up the keyboard on other programs that are running fine? Does it still have the white space at the bottom, or no? Also, do you have any programs such as Wisbar that modify the bottom taskbar with a theme installed? Maybe one of those type programs is bleeding over into your running application.

You said that you can bring up the keyboard on these two "bad" programs and you see a white space at the bottom. Does that mean that you can see the little keyboard symbol at the bottom? Or, are you just clicking in a textbox to get the keyboard to display automatically?

Maybe checking these things will help you figure out what is going wrong. Also, it will give folks in the forum a chance to get a better understanding of what the problem is. I usually find that when something is wrong, if I start trying to narrow down exactly what the problem is by testing and eliminating possibilities, I usually stumble over what the problem was and can fix it.

--Jim

Kiwi Nomad
08-25-2004, 08:01 PM
Hi JimPAQ,

Thanks for your prompt response.

In answer to your Q's:

1. Yes, I'm testing other programs ie. installing & running them & no problems... so far. I have just loaded other password / wallet demo programs - eWallet, CodeWallet and InfoSafe. Keyboard works ok on these. I only have white (or grey depending on program) space at bottom of the 3 programs mentioned earlier.

2. No, I'm not running any programs that modify the bottom taskbar. I thought of this one too.

3. when I run the bad programs all I can see is the keyboard symbol bottom right. I can also see file tree within program (if I tap in password / okay demo to open the program), but tapping screen on files/folders does not open them.

As I've said, 2 of these programs (CodeStore & MyAccounts) were running fine before hard reset - 1 is freeware, the other is demo version. The 3rd program (ckdWallet) installed to test is also demo version.

Real mystery. :?

Cheers,

David

JimPAQ
08-25-2004, 10:59 PM
Question, when you did the hard reset, did you load everything from a backup (i.e. ActiveSync backup)? If so, did you do the hard reset to update ROM. Because one time I did a hard reset to update my iPAQ and some of my program wouldn't work after that. I had to reinstall them to get them to work. Obviously that is not what is going on here, but it's worth thinking about.

--Jim

Kiwi Nomad
08-27-2004, 07:49 PM
Hard reset was done as the result of the PDA playing dead. (I had been using the night before with I think about 25% battery power left, then next morning nothing. Wouldn't switch on or anything, even hard reset didn't do anything. When I put it on power it came to life, so somehow the battery had managed to discharge itself overnight, including the backup battery. Of course on power it went through hard reset process). So that seems to be another problem, but I think it's unrelated, and hasn't happened again.

I used ActiveSync to load everything from backup, but not the programs themselves which had to be re-installed.

Regards,
David

Kiwi Nomad
08-30-2004, 03:37 PM
Cracked it!

Managed to solve problem by reloading Microsoft compact .NET framework as it was pointed out to me that all 3 non-working programs were MS .NET programs.

David