View Full Version : 1945 "internal" screen damage?!

hivernal
08-25-2004, 04:54 AM
I'm in shock.

I got an ipaq 1945 last year--my first PDA--absolutely loved it but barely ever found time to use it. I put it aside for a few of months, in a drawer, and when I picked it up it had the bleeding ink syndrome under the screen. I have no idea how this could have happened since it was safely tucked away, and especially since the digitizer/glasstop was intact, not broken.

I sent it in to HP for repair. They called me today and told me the LCD was INTERNALLY broken.

How is that even possible?

Cost of repair: $199.95 + tax!! Not a manufacturing defect so not covered under warranty.

My questions: is this model known to be fragile? what exactly is internal screen damage? why can't I just get a repair on the LCD and not the glasstop/digitizer? can I find a spare part online that doesn't include the glasstop?

There is no way I'm shelling out that kind of money for a repair. I can find plenty of brand new models for that price online.

Thanks for any and all advice.

KimVette
08-25-2004, 07:27 PM
See if PocketPCTechs can repair it more cheaply (usually they can) or check out foxconn to see if they stock the display for your model.

hivernal
08-26-2004, 06:23 AM
Thanks. Both foxconn.com and services.foxconn.com seem to be down at the moment...and pocketpctechs don't have any LCDs for 1945 available. :cry:

ctmagnus
08-26-2004, 07:42 PM
fwiw, I had this happen once to an iPaq 3670. Fortunately, I had an extended warranty that covered it.

Ultima
08-27-2004, 07:21 AM
From what I understand, PDA LCDs have 3 layers.

1st layer, thin plastic coating. The stuff your stylus touches, that "pulls" the sides and tells the PDA where you're tapping. This is also the part you put that screen protector on to protect.

2nd layer. Glass/Rigid plastic. Ever wonder why when you tap hard on your screen that the display doesn't go "swimmy" like the LCD monitors on laptops or desktops? This is why.

3rd layer. The actual LCD, which is probably the most expensive party. This is the part that has that "ink" in it. When your iPaq sends electricity through the liquid crystal (the "ink"), it lights up. It's probably more advanced than this with those fancy transflective displays, but I'm not picking for details.

Looks like the 3rd layer, the deepest one in, got damaged somehow. Could it have been differences in temperature? I've seen weirder things happen.

hivernal
08-27-2004, 05:25 PM
Ctmagnus--this was covered by your warranty? My warranty's still valid, but the HP techs said this wasn't a manufacturing defect and therefore not covered by my warranty.
Which I don't understand, by the way. I barely ever touched the thing. If it arose out of some weird temperature situation, isn't that a manufacturing defect?

nepats
08-27-2004, 07:11 PM
Purchasing the extended warranty typically covers one screen replacement.

ctmagnus
08-27-2004, 08:21 PM
Ctmagnus--this was covered by your warranty? My warranty's still valid, but the HP techs said this wasn't a manufacturing defect and therefore not covered by my warranty.
Which I don't understand, by the way. I barely ever touched the thing. If it arose out of some weird temperature situation, isn't that a manufacturing defect?

As nepats stated, the extended warranty covers one screen replacemant (or at least it used used to - the TOS of my current CarePack (HP) are a bit different from the CarePaq (Compaq) I had with my first iPaq).

The crack I had was also not a result of user-inflicted damage. Was your 1945 new or refurbished?

hivernal
08-28-2004, 05:42 AM
I thought an extended warranty only meant an extension of time--not an extension of what's covered under it. When I called HP to report the screen crack, the rep told me I was still under warranty and therefore still entitled to buy an extended warranty--but he didn't say that would allow me to get my new screen.

My ipaq wasn't refurbished. I bought it new, and only had it for a few months.

ctmagnus
08-29-2004, 12:31 AM
When I bought my first CarePaq, I was apparently allowed one screen repair in addition to the time extension. That repair would not have been covered under the standard warranty. I don't know if the CarePack I have on my current iPaq will cover screen damage if the need arises. It may also depend on which rep you get when you call HP warranty support as I have found some of them to be easier to deal with than others. (I had my first iPaq repaired/next day swapped eight or so times and it got to the point that I would get the same service rep two or three times over the time I was using the unit.)

If you're considering getting a CarePack in order to get your screen repaired, I'd call to clarify what the CarePack covers. Again, it may depend on which rep you get as ther demeanor and time working at Compaq/HP warranty will make the world of difference. And if you get one that says that they will replace the screen, document that call just to cya.