View Full Version : BetaPlayer - Unstable version updated

24va
08-23-2004, 03:36 PM
Don't know why it's called unstable, I have not had a problem with it.

wmv - BETTER than windows media player
mpeg - AS GOOD as PocketTV
avi - EXCELLENT (although I have nothing to compare to)

http://forge.topcat.hu/frs/?group_id=5

Janak Parekh
08-23-2004, 03:50 PM
"Unstable", in open-source parlance, really means not extensively tested more than anything. Looks like the BetaPlayer developer's just being conservative about his terminology. ;)

--janak

24va
08-23-2004, 04:30 PM
maybe he means his website is unstable ;) seems to be down at the moment!

jeffmd
08-23-2004, 06:47 PM
unstable as in "he finished the code yesterday and is letting the public test it so they dont keep nagging him about when its out." ;)

The PocketTV Team
08-24-2004, 05:57 AM
> wmv - BETTER than windows media player

BETTER, really ? I'd be surprised, since it uses the exact same codec as WMP - Betaplayer justs plugs into the Microsoft WMP codec, which can now be used in any application (only with WM2003).

> mpeg - AS GOOD as PocketTV

From what Picard told us, there are still MPEG streams that PocketTV plays fine and that Betaplayer does not play correctly.

> avi - EXCELLENT (although I have nothing to compare to)

AVI ? You mean DivX (i.e. only AVI that contain DivX)... you can compare with the old PocketMVP, but Betaplayer is clearly a much better player.

One thing I'm wondering though... Picard claims to "own" the copyright on Betaplayer. But since Betaplayer used (as a base) a number of older opensource projects and codecs, I think it probably contain pieces of code copyrighted by others that Picard - even though I agree that Picard did, indeed, rewrite and re-architecture a lot of code used in Betaplayer, and he should get a large part of the credit for his excellent work :)

24va
08-24-2004, 06:26 AM
I converted a movie to play in windows media player (Willow) and there were major artifacts and the audio didn't sync to video during play back. The same file plays much better in betaplayer no artifacts AND more importantantly video syncs. no change to willow.wmv file

as for pockettv being able to stream some files that betaplayer cannot maybe valid, I don't do streamng so can't comment. but the 'play' part is just as good.

.avi don't know the only avi file I looked at was the 29mb matrix trailer from the betaplayer download site.

don't know 'bout the other code issues, but would agree that credit should be given if it is due.

The PocketTV Team
08-24-2004, 06:35 AM
> I converted a movie to play in windows media player (Willow) and there were major artifacts and the audio didn't sync to video during play back. The same file plays much better in betaplayer no artifacts AND more importantantly video syncs. no change to willow.wmv file

Interesting... Maybe there are two WMV codecs in WM2003, one built-in WMP and another one for application's use. That's possible... All I know is that Betaplayer is using a WMV codec that belongs to MSFT.

> as for pockettv being able to stream some files that betaplayer cannot maybe valid I don't do streamng. but the 'play' part is just as good.

I was not talking about streaming, but playing a file. How many files have you tested ? One ? Ten ? 100 ? I'd say if you can play 100 random MPEG files made with random, different encoders, then (only then) you can say it works well... Even the developer knows that it cannot play all MPEG-1 files correctly.

> .avi don't know the only avi file I loked at was the 29m matrix trailer from the betaplayer download site.

Oh, so you tested only one file?

24va
08-24-2004, 06:53 AM
I've used pockettv for a really long time. i like it, i appeciate the fact that u have a free version, i really appeciated the effort you made to get the axim x30 working. thank you.

not trying to slam your product at all.

saying all of that, my opinion (that's all it is, is an opinion) the play between the two is neck and neck running mpeg from different sources/sites (don't know how they were encoded) and various file sizes (.5m - 64m) from 405 the movie to terry tates office linebacker to what i compare every other player with, kinda my 'standard' file; cookie blues by jason taylor.

pockettv plays mpeg very well, so does betaplayer in addition to the other formats that pockettv does not play

The PocketTV Team
08-24-2004, 07:07 AM
> pockettv plays mpeg very well, so does betaplayer in addition to the other formats that pockettv does not play.

Yes, so did PocketMVP, by the way.

But PocketTV have had many years of experience with all sorts of bizare (not fully compliant) MPEG's and has adjusted to numerous quirks found in countless MPEG files floating on the web. I often find MPEG's that play fine on PocketTV and don't play on many other players. If you play many MPEG files or very long ones, this is something to take into account.

If you just play one or two short 1min clips, then I'm sure chances are that you'll be perfectly happy with Betaplayer, or with any other MPEG player out there (Pict Pocket Cinema, PocketMVP, etc).

That's all we are saying. Betaplayer very good, and we are in good terms with Picard, even though we don't have the same W?BIC approach.

24va
08-24-2004, 07:20 AM
>If you just play one or two short 1min clips, then I'm sure chances are that you'll be perfectly happy with Betaplayer, or with any other MPEG player out there (Pict Pocket Cinema, PocketMVP, etc).

tried all those players, they inhaled deeply and rapidly! :)

have a good evening

picard
08-24-2004, 07:27 AM
BETTER, really ? I'd be surprised, since it uses the exact same codec as WMP - Betaplayer justs plugs into the Microsoft WMP codec, which can now be used in any application (only with WM2003).
i use only the video and audio codec from MS. the difference probably is the YUV->RGB blitting which is quite optimized in BetaPlayer (with 16bit RGB and dither vs WMP's 15bit)

One thing I'm wondering though... Picard claims to "own" the copyright on Betaplayer. But since Betaplayer used (as a base) a number of older opensource projects and codecs, I think it probably contain pieces of code copyrighted by others that Picard - even though I agree that Picard did, indeed, rewrite and re-architecture a lot of code used in Betaplayer, and he should get a large part of the credit for his excellent work :)
i own the copyright on the entire player and some of the codecs. you can check in the about dialog which open-source codec libraries are used(most part of the divx decoder used in PocketMVP has been rewritten by me)

The PocketTV Team
08-24-2004, 07:39 AM
> i own the copyright on the entire player and some of the codecs.

What you call "player" is "front-end & UI".

For many people, "player" is the entire program... For you, Betaplayer (c) means only the front-end. Thanks for the clarification.

Did you actually write some of the codec's completely from scratch (i.e. just from the algorithm's specs) ? Most people start at least from the technical model source code.

picard
08-24-2004, 05:21 PM
What you call "player" is "front-end & UI".
For many people, "player" is the entire program... For you, Betaplayer (c) means only the front-end. Thanks for the clarification.
definiton of front-end: the interface that the end-users interact with directly.

i think you know that a player is much more than that (especially on wince. no directshow or what so ever). i think from pc world many people are aware the difference between player and codec.

Did you actually write some of the codec's completely from scratch (i.e. just from the algorithm's specs) ? Most people start at least from the technical model source code.
i started looking at other sources. that of course not neccessary mean taking over actual source code (copyrighted). but i read the specs too if there is a problem.