View Full Version : Checking System

DiGiTYZED
08-23-2004, 12:14 AM
My Toshiba e805 has been sitting in the cradle for about a day untouched and all of a sudden the connection with ActiveSync was lost and picked up the device to see why and there's a message window without an OK or X button titled, "Checking System" (and the message said something like 'please wait'). I tapped the screen and pressed the suspend button, but the backlight didn't come on and the device is not responding....

Some minutes have passed now, the message window is gone and it seems to be working normally again. I didn't do a soft reset because I don't want to possibly cause additional damage. I fear it's a virus or something.

What the hell just happened? What do I do now?

Sven Johannsen
08-23-2004, 12:59 AM
I swear I saw a post about this same thing just recently. Would have been here or the MS newsgroups. Might do a search. Maybe it's just a 'feature' of the Toshiba that has been missed or unreported.

Yea, there it is. on microsoft.public.pocketpc From The PocketTV Team.
19 Aug 9:08 PM

Today I got a weird MessageBox pop-up that appeared on my e800 (with
WM2003SE Upgrade):

"Checking System - Please wait for a while ..."

(with a line break after "wait")

Has anyone ever seen that ???

The system seemed to be completely unresponsive while this pop-up was
displayed.

After a while (several minutes), the pop-up disapeared and the system went
back to normal.
No application was running when the pop-up appeared.

No responses to that post yet, but they hang around here so may resppond to this. At least you are not alone.

The PocketTV Team
08-25-2004, 10:06 AM
Welcome to the club :)

Apparently some kind of internal checking gets triggered. Not sure if it's just with the e800 or all Pocket PC 2003 Second Edition.

DiGiTYZED
08-25-2004, 03:32 PM
so it's normal? no need for me to worry?

The PocketTV Team
08-26-2004, 02:28 AM
so it's normal? no need for me to worry?
I did not noticed anything abnormal since this happened. So I wouldn't worry too much.

Sven Johannsen
08-26-2004, 05:33 AM
I have not seen it on my Dell X30, or seen any reports, so it may just be a Toshiba 'feature.'

The PocketTV Team
08-26-2004, 06:11 AM
I have not seen it on my Dell X30, or seen any reports, so it may just be a Toshiba 'feature.'
I have had the e800 for several months, and seen it only once. Plus, maybe i was just lucky to look at the display when this pop-up appeared!

We could get a definitive answer if someone from MSFT could "grep" the entire Pocket PC 2003 Second Edition source code for the string in the message...

> I fear it's a virus or something.

If it was a virus, it would not display anything like that, it would stay hidden... unless the virus author is really dumb!

The PocketTV Team
09-10-2004, 12:50 AM
I got this message again today, and it was reported by several other people here: http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106188

The PocketTV Team
10-18-2004, 04:36 AM
This mystery "Checking System" pop-up has the side effect of killing the ActiveSync (I just noticed that).

Other than that, it seems armless (except for blocking everything for 45 sec or so).

yankeejeep
10-18-2004, 07:14 PM
Since updating my e805 to WM2003SE, I have seen that cryptic little message once, lasting a little under a minute. I have no idea what triggers it or what is actually going on under the hood, but it only happened after I went from FE to SE, so I suspect it is something in the code. Since it seems to be tied to something other than executing apps, I am wondering if it has something to do with processor scaling or uptime.