View Full Version : ActiveSync - Restore Backup Problem

Hervard
08-21-2004, 01:34 PM
I've got an hp h1945 iPAQ running Microsoft Pocket PC 2003. I use Microsoft ActiveSync to backup my files and databases (like calendar, tasks, contacts, etc) now and then. I don't sync with Microsoft Outlook.

Yesterday, the last thing I remember doing with my iPAQ was pausing a song that was playing in Windows Media Player 9, and turning off the power. This morning, while I was away from home, I tried turning on the power, but no luck. When I got home this evening I hooked the iPAQ up to the wall for some power, and that turned it on.

However, it had done a full reset. Looking at its battery power showed that its backup battery (NiMH) was at 0%, and the main battery (LiIon) was now charging. Because of the full reset, all of my databased information was gone.

But why did the power disappear altogether? I'm assuming that the power button was accidently pushed at some point, and WMP9 came back, and WMP9 doesn't allow the iPAQ to turn off automatically after the specified time that I set, and so it just sat there for hours and hours. It appears that the NiMH battery is at 100% now.

But anyways, to get to the point.

Using ActiveSync, I want to restore my backup file, but it says I am unable to because 'the selected backup file was created from a different type of mobile device'. I'm assuming that there's some special security identifier that links the backup file and that current running system of PPC 2003.

I would really like to restore the data to my iPAQ from the backup file. I've tried restoring using a new partnership, and also restoring using the guest mode, but it always comes back saying that it can't because it's a different mobile device.

Though wait, I just clicked on Help when the error came up, and have now solved my problem. I had to change my regional settings to match what I had before. :roll:

Ed Hansberry
08-26-2004, 02:15 AM
Though wait, I just clicked on Help when the error came up, and have now solved my problem. I had to change my regional settings to match what I had before. :roll:Glad you got it fixed. It can be annoying for the backup to fail, and causes panic. :D