View Full Version : iPAQ 6315s Showing Up At CompUSA

Janak Parekh
08-20-2004, 09:00 PM
PPCT member robcorn writes in with some interesting news:<br />Guys, just wanted you to know I picked up an h6315 last night at 8pm at CompUSA in Lewisville, TX.<br /><br />I put my TMO SIM in and it automatically configured my phone and GPRS in a matter of seconds. I then set up my 3 email accounts in My Email at the TMO website and they auto-configured right onto the 6315 after a few minutes. I also am using "My Email Trigger" and it's wonderful, downloading my email automatically for me.<br /><br />SMS works fine, sent messages to Europe today. Just waiting for my Jabra FreeSpeak 250 to charge so I can pair it and try out MS Voice Command.<br /><br />Also set up WiFi to my Linksys WRT-54G router and it works perfectly, taking about 30 seconds to connect!<br /><br />Any questions about the unit, ask away!<br />I guess CompUSA is selling the units a little early -- others have also reported obtaining units from there. He says he's since gotten Voice Command and the BT headset working, which is pretty awesome. I'm looking forward to the reviews coming in. 8)

brianchris
08-20-2004, 09:09 PM
Is CompUSA selling them only with a new TMo activation? Apparently not if robcorn purchased and inserted his existing SIM.

If you can buy them without a new activation from CompUSA, what was the price? Would they discount it for a NEW TMo activation?

Perry Reed
08-20-2004, 09:09 PM
I am so jealous it's not even funny...

robcorn
08-20-2004, 09:12 PM
Is CompUSA selling them only with a new TMo activation? Apparently not if robcorn purchased and inserted his existing SIM.

If you can buy them without a new activation from CompUSA, what was the price? Would they discount it for a NEW TMo activation?

Brian, normal selling price was $599, but they for some reason last night sold it to me for $499. I think the cashier got confused or something when I told her I was an existing TMo customer :lol:

entropy1980
08-20-2004, 09:14 PM
posting this from my new 6315 i just picked at CompUSA..... :)

Yes they are sim-locked to T-mobile. Great device! I am loving it so far.

gorkon280
08-20-2004, 09:16 PM
I guess CompUSA is selling the units a little early -- others have also reported obtaining units from there. He says he's gotten Voice Command and the BT headset working, which is pretty awesome. I'm looking forward to the reviews coming in. 8)

No, he said he has to wait for it to CHARGE and then see if he can get it to work with Voice Command.... ;)

brianchris
08-20-2004, 09:16 PM
Cool. I am wondering what the new activation price would be.

Am also wondering when (or if) AT&T Wireless will have these devices.

robcorn
08-20-2004, 09:18 PM
I guess CompUSA is selling the units a little early -- others have also reported obtaining units from there. He says he's gotten Voice Command and the BT headset working, which is pretty awesome. I'm looking forward to the reviews coming in. 8)

No, he said he has to wait for it to CHARGE and then see if he can get it to work with Voice Command.... ;)

It's working fine, the 6315 detected the Jabra Freespeak right away, and Voice Command works fine!!!! :D

brianchris
08-20-2004, 09:21 PM
Voice Command works fine!!!! :D

Can you remind me.....is VoiceCommand in ROM on the 6315?

robcorn
08-20-2004, 09:24 PM
Voice Command works fine!!!! :D

Can you remind me.....is VoiceCommand in ROM on the 6315?

No, you must purchase it...amazon.com has it on sale for $26 right now with free shipping.

Even with Voice Command loaded I still have about 30mb free - putting most everything else on my 256mb SD card.

Janak Parekh
08-20-2004, 09:28 PM
Minor typo. I meant "he's since gotten it to work". I'll edit the post.

--janak

brianchris
08-20-2004, 09:33 PM
It came with a horizonal belt case, right? How is that?

Jason Lee
08-20-2004, 09:37 PM
man, only if it were not sim locked... I wanna use it with Cingular...

robcorn
08-20-2004, 09:39 PM
The case is huge, 5.5" in length and 3.75" in height. It's held on to your belt horizontally by a very strong clip. The front opening to insert/remove the iPAQ is held down by two magnets, and there is a place inside the front for 2 SD cards. Other vendors will probably come out soon with a glove-fit case for the 6315 that will reduce the size and place it vertical against your body.

It smells like leather..... :roll:

edit: And there's a T-Mobile logo embossed on the front for all of you AT&T and Cingular guys :)

ctmagnus
08-20-2004, 09:48 PM
Or you can use the case from the 5550s with the HP logo. ;)

(Apparently they're the same except for the logo.)

arnage2
08-20-2004, 09:49 PM
i wish that there was an IDEN version for nextel

robcorn
08-20-2004, 09:51 PM
Guys, any questions I can answer for you about the 6315? I've pretty much tested out everything, staying up late past midnight last night playing with it.....

brianchris
08-20-2004, 09:55 PM
Guys, any questions I can answer for you about the 6315? I've pretty much tested out everything, staying up late past midnight last night playing with it.....

Hows the snap on keyboard? It appears to add a LOT of bulk. Are you planning on using it frequently yourself? Perhaps you're planning on leaving it on all the time?

websparc
08-20-2004, 09:57 PM
Hows the screen? as we heard from some reviews it looks like washed out display. Have you tried running some mpeg clips in windows media player on the PDA? hows the over all speed?
Also are you able to make a call from bluetooth headset without touching the PDA?
It would be nice if you can get some pics and post them here.

Thanks a lot.
Raman

brianchris
08-20-2004, 09:59 PM
Have you tried running some mpeg clips in windows media player on the PDA?

Wait....can Windows Media Player play MPEG clips? I thought it couldn't. Is that new to the 6315?

entropy1980
08-20-2004, 10:01 PM
Have you tried running some mpeg clips in windows media player on the PDA?

Wait....can Windows Media Player play MPEG clips? I thought it couldn't. Is that new to the 6315? No it can't play MPEG, also screen is not washed out, of course I have no other Pocket PC around to compare to but colors look fine to me.

websparc
08-20-2004, 10:06 PM
Reason I asked Can it play mpeg because I've old HP jornada pocket pc. and I've installed an mpeg player on it (got free from some pocket pc tools) and I can run on it. So guessed that it'd be able to run small mpeg clips.

mclaughlinc
08-20-2004, 10:07 PM
OK somebody figure out how to unlock the SIM lock and post it. I picked one up however my ATTWS SIM card does not work. :?

brianchris
08-20-2004, 10:11 PM
Reason I asked Can it play mpeg because I've old HP jornada pocket pc. and I've installed an mpeg player on it (got free from some pocket pc tools) and I can run on it. So guessed that it'd be able to run small mpeg clips.

The free player you are most likely talking about is Pocket TV ( www.pockettv.com ).

However, your original question was different. You asked if he had tried to play MPEG's "in Windows Media Player"....that tripped me up a little, sorry :oops:

robcorn
08-20-2004, 10:11 PM
Okay, here goes:

1. Snap on keypad is big but very light. It will go right into my laptop case for me to use when I'm on the road to send emails and SMS. It does not add much weight nor does it upset the balance of the 6315 when you put it on. When you put it on, you get a sound to let you know it's docked correctly, and to take it off, you just press on the two buttons on either side of the keypad and slide it right off. It is much better than the Treo 600's keyboard, which I'm coming from.

2. Screen is fine, doesn't wash out for me at all, and I'm here in the Texas sun :) I haven't loaded any mpegs yet, maybe this weekend, and I'll let you know the results.

3. I cannot figure out how to make a call using Voice Command without touching the 6315. I've re-mapped the rightmost key (Inbox) for Voice Command, so I only have to press that, then after that everything else can be done from the headset.

4. I'll try and post some pics in a while; trying to finish up my workday right now!

Rob

mclaughlinc
08-20-2004, 10:13 PM
What happened to the BlackBerry Connect software that they said was going to be included?

robcorn
08-20-2004, 10:16 PM
What happened to the BlackBerry Connect software that they said was going to be included?

Ain't there....

websparc
08-20-2004, 10:21 PM
brianchris > You got it. That was my bad, actually whenever i think of mpeg windows media player jumped up in mind.

robcorn> Thanks for your quick reply. Thats awesome about screen if it looks good and keypad is easy to use.

I've read somewhere that no one yet able to fingure out how to call someone without even touching the phone with XDA/MDA 2. But I think it may be possible to do may be just need to configure some hardware button.
Thanks in advance for taking time for pics.

dangerwit
08-20-2004, 10:38 PM
I bought mine this AM along with a Sony Ericsson BT headset from a TMo store and it works very well. Best PDA phone I've used and the BT headset is slick.

I think the 6315 suffers from some slight yellowing of the screen, but not much. And under the right angles, the screen does become tough to see outdoors... but I'd still consider it very useable.

The camera is definitely respectable (outdoors) for a cell phone camera and it's integrated very nicely into the inbox. I snapped a photo, tapped on the Email button that gets superimposed on the preview, and typed in my wife's phone number. It sent her an MMS (Tmobile also) quickly and just as I built it. VERY cool.

Nothing for push email, but I think the MPx was going to have the Blackberry software, not the 6315.

TMo is good about giving out unlock codes, but I read somewhere you should wait 90 days after purchase.

No luck getting Voice command to work without touching the 6315. You can't map a hardware button to the BT headset button, so that's out. I can't imagine it'd take long to make an app that detects the pickup, then activates Vocie Command. Hmmmmm!

*Phil

Ainvar
08-20-2004, 10:55 PM
Ok how about battery life? All the reports I have read has barely mentioned battery life or they are going by what HP says it could get.

minxie
08-20-2004, 11:49 PM
Okay, congratualtions to the guys already got the units.

Please help me to find out the answers of the following questions:

1. How the speed?
2. Battery life?
3. Mostly important, can you load up Skype on it?

Thanks ...

surur
08-21-2004, 12:15 AM
No luck getting Voice command to work without touching the 6315. You can't map a hardware button to the BT headset button, so that's out. I can't imagine it'd take long to make an app that detects the pickup, then activates Vocie Command. Hmmmmm!

*Phil

Good luck waiting. The XDA 2 people have been waiting a year for this little app.

Surur

websparc
08-21-2004, 12:22 AM
I'm just coming back home after trying h6315 in compusa store. They got few of them and put one on display today. Screen looks fine not that bright i was thinking. I also able to access there store's wireless internet on it. I opened up msn.com and searched for some movie clips and able to play one clip. Internet access was slow may be because of slow sleep in the store. The audio is not that loud speakers were at full vol. but it was not loud atleast for me. there are two vol.s one for pda and one for phone. I clicked on some applications like yahoo messenger, excel etc. It took few seconds to open up yahoo. over all speed is ok considering PDA+Phone+wireless+bluetooth. May it'd give some more battery live.
It gives a good feel in the hands and for me it not that big.

Pinnacle
08-21-2004, 01:25 AM
A few things that haven't been mentioned...

I picked mine up today at the Park Meadows CompUSA in Littleton, CO. I'm an existing TMobile customer and paid full price (hoping for a future rebate, maybe). The unit was fully charged out of the package.

I made about an hour and a half worth of calls, with wi-fi and gprs going at all times. Plus, I played around with the device for about another 1.5 hours. After that, i was at 62 percent battery left. Mind you, I surfed for about a half-hour at a local Starbucks on wi-fi, as well. It was at least 4-5 hours of heavy use. Not bad.

The speakerphone is weak. It's on the back of the unit, and it sounds very tinny at top volume, where I needed it to hear anything in my car.

I like it a lot. I haven't bonded my Jabra BT headset with it yet, but there's more time for that tonight.

JohnJohn
08-21-2004, 01:42 AM
Unlock instructions PLEASE!!! I live in Castle Rock, CO and want to drive up to Compusa right now.... Anyone? I have AT&T.

JohnJohn

Pinnacle
08-21-2004, 02:20 AM
It's definitely not a processing powerhouse. I see the Windows "twirling circle," or whatever you call it, all too often. Running Resco Explorer, scrolling through my desktop files via wi-fi was a chore. It's not bad, though. Apps and games run better than I expected. It's not slow by any means, just not as instant as you're accustomed to if your running a high-level X-Scale processor.

The battery is awesome, though, so far. No exact tests run, but it holds a charge extremely well with a lot of use.[/i][/quote]

Stake
08-21-2004, 02:28 AM
A friend of mine went to the Broadway CompUSA in Manhattan today and said they had a few in stock but none for display. Just ask for it and they'll show it to you. I also beleive that the midtown CompUSA also has a few in stock as well.

He was about to purchase one...so he asked if someone could open it for him to try out his AT&T SIM but like many you have said, it was locked.

I'm still holding out for the 4705 so for those who have been waiting for this PPC and picked one up, I hope you all have fun playing with the 6300 tonight!

pgb5
08-21-2004, 02:45 AM
Very disappointing. I have been an immediate buyer of the newest iPaq since the 3600. And wanted to be so again with the release of this long awaited version. But I can't do it.
I went to the Comp USA tonight hoping to gain the inspiration to buy through a working which had failed me through the repeated previews.
No such luck. It's visually boring. It's chunky to hold. The aentenna looks out of place. And no WMSE.
HP, what are you thinking about? Where's the value proposition? This device is no more advanced, except for WIFI, than devices that have been on the market for more than 6 months.
The only thing I can conclude is that HP felt so threatened by the Motorola MPX and XDA III that they felt compelled to rush this unit to market. Or, they're simply trying to gain a share of a preexisting market (not very inpirational for company with the tagline, Invent).
Sorry, HP. Really. I truly want to buy. But given the "average-ness" of the unit and knowing what's on the horizon in the XDA III and MPX, I can't this time.

Pinnacle
08-21-2004, 03:04 AM
Yes, the unit is not visually impressive. But I find it very nicely sized.

You mentioned that the only thing HP added that could be called innovative is Wi-Fi...that's HUGE! Face it, this is the first PPCPE out that includesWi-Fi. GSM, GPRS, BT, and Wi-Fi will satisfy many geeks out there, and this is the only unit available that offers that!

websparc
08-21-2004, 03:18 AM
yeh and four bands. also i guess it'd have more battery life that other PDA+Phones and thats a big plus

ts937km
08-21-2004, 03:41 AM
Never mind... The following message shows that the moon wasn't aligned right.

ts937km
08-21-2004, 03:47 AM
I rebooted my Access Point and the IPAQ. Now it can login with the ESSID off. Now I'm not sure because it had already logged in with it on. I'll have to wait until I go into work and try and access the Access Points there to confirm that it's working. Now to get mNotes working with GPRS.

Snarf
08-21-2004, 05:42 AM
I'd love to pick up one of these.

Problem is, I would need it unlocked by Nov 1 when I go on vacation, and T-mobile wont give me an unlock code for 90 days.

What are the odds of there being a way other than going T-mobile to SIM unlock a h6315? How does this normally work? Do you buy software that will hack it? Will someone post some universal key that you enter?

Any thoughts? thanks

Kai920
08-21-2004, 05:50 AM
It's definitely not a processing powerhouse. I see the Windows "twirling circle," or whatever you call it, all too often. Running Resco Explorer, scrolling through my desktop files via wi-fi was a chore. It's not bad, though. Apps and games run better than I expected. It's not slow by any means, just not as instant as you're accustomed to if your running a high-level X-Scale processor.

The battery is awesome, though, so far. No exact tests run, but it holds a charge extremely well with a lot of use.[/i]

ugh, reminds me A LOT of my XDA I... it's slow as molasses, and the proc is already 200MHz. Knowing the TI OMAP proc is more advanced is not enough.. I guess I'll have to play with one to get a general feel of how fast the device is.

dangerwit
08-21-2004, 05:54 AM
From what I recall, the unlock codes are unique to each PPC phone, based on some horrible IDs, etc etc There's some tools floating around that may work (use at risk) to extract the unlock code... start with xda-developers, their utils may work, but they're built for the XDA so good luck. :)

With TMo, you can allegedly just email customer service, tell them you're going overseas, and would like the unlock code so you can use a local SIM card. From what I've heard, they always give it to you. I've not done it myself yet, but will eventually.

One thing that impressed me was the NiMH backup battery in this phone. I expected the standard fare, or a logically partitioned battery. So, a dead main battery shouldn't kill the phone if I'm reading my settings correctly.

*Phil

dangerwit
08-21-2004, 05:57 AM
Very disappointing. I have been an immediate buyer of the newest iPaq since the 3600. And wanted to be so again with the release of this long awaited version. But I can't do it.
I went to the Comp USA tonight hoping to gain the inspiration to buy through a working which had failed me through the repeated previews.
No such luck. It's visually boring. It's chunky to hold. The aentenna looks out of place. And no WMSE.
HP, what are you thinking about? Where's the value proposition? This device is no more advanced, except for WIFI, than devices that have been on the market for more than 6 months.
The only thing I can conclude is that HP felt so threatened by the Motorola MPX and XDA III that they felt compelled to rush this unit to market. Or, they're simply trying to gain a share of a preexisting market (not very inpirational for company with the tagline, Invent).
Sorry, HP. Really. I truly want to buy. But given the "average-ness" of the unit and knowing what's on the horizon in the XDA III and MPX, I can't this time.

I agree with most of this, pgb. Still, when I seamlessly roam from network to network, use the bluetooth headset, send SMS, and text with a keyboard, the pain goes away quickly. Yep, the XDA3 and MPx will be able to do all of this, and maybe even faster... but since the rumors of cost for either device unlocked is $900+, this $580 device seems pretty darn good. :)

*Phil

Dolphin
08-21-2004, 12:39 PM
Will this device take videos? I know this info is probably in some post here @ PPCT if i would take the time to research... but I figured I could get a quick answer and just check my email when the notification comes up.

websparc
08-21-2004, 12:55 PM
I've tried one small clip trailer directly from one site and it played in windows media player. since processor is not that fast I'm not sure how it'd handle the big clips.

ignar
08-21-2004, 12:56 PM
After reading thorugh, I've got interested in rw6100 even more. I totally agree with pgb5 in that there is no innovation in this device. Lousy PDA, average phone, and bad looking design. I don't see a reason to choose this over XDA or Treo 600.
I was going to switch to T-Mobile, but looks like I will stay with Sprint (or possibly Verizon) another year or so.

starbot
08-21-2004, 06:27 PM
Unlock code is based on the IDEM of the device, so you wouldn't, per say, beable to get a code before purchease.

Dolphin
08-21-2004, 08:16 PM
After reading thorugh, I've got interested in rw6100 even more. I totally agree with pgb5 in that there is no innovation in this device. Lousy PDA, average phone, and bad looking design. I don't see a reason to choose this over XDA or Treo 600.
I was going to switch to T-Mobile, but looks like I will stay with Sprint (or possibly Verizon) another year or so.

Just out of curiosity what would the advantages of the xda or the treo be over the hp? I'm looking to by an all in one device as soon as possible but so far I haven't seen anything that I like enough yet. Once you get used to the hp 1945 size (my current pda), it's hard to want anything bigger. I want to be able to take videos and I don't think that the treo will do that. Will the XDA take videos?

Janak Parekh
08-21-2004, 08:20 PM
Just out of curiosity what would the advantages of the xda or the treo be over the hp?
That's a tough question to answer succintly. ;) The HP has WLAN and bundled thumbboard compared to the XDA II, but the XDA II has a faster processor. The Treo is in a different ballpark -- it's a PalmOS device with an integrated thumbboard.

I'm looking to by an all in one device as soon as possible but so far I haven't seen anything that I like enough yet. Once you get used to the hp 1945 size (my current pda), it's hard to want anything bigger.
The 6315 probably comes closest for a Pocket PC Phone -- it looks to be the size of about the 2215, which is not that much bigger than the 1945 (just a bit thicker). I don't see a Pocket PC Phone appearing in the 1945's formfactor, especially when considering thickness, until we get major improvements in batteries.

--janak

Dolphin
08-21-2004, 08:33 PM
I don't see a Pocket PC Phone appearing in the 1945's form factor, especially when considering thickness, until we get major improvements in batteries.

--janak[/quote]

Thanks Janek

I know that is a big request... but one of these days and with a megapixal cam w/flash to boot!

BTW... will the hp take videos. Processor power is not an issue for me

Janak Parekh
08-21-2004, 08:43 PM
BTW... will the hp take videos. Processor power is not an issue for me
No idea, so I didn't answer it. I'll wait for the new 6315 owners to pipe up. ;)

--janak

robcorn
08-21-2004, 08:52 PM
Just out of curiosity what would the advantages of the xda or the treo be over the hp?
That's a tough question to answer succintly. ;) The HP has WLAN and bundled thumbboard compared to the XDA II, but the XDA II has a faster processor. The Treo is in a different ballpark -- it's a PalmOS device with an integrated thumbboard.

I'm looking to by an all in one device as soon as possible but so far I haven't seen anything that I like enough yet. Once you get used to the hp 1945 size (my current pda), it's hard to want anything bigger.
The 6315 probably comes closest for a Pocket PC Phone -- it looks to be the size of about the 2215, which is not that much bigger than the 1945 (just a bit thicker). I don't see a Pocket PC Phone appearing in the 1945's formfactor, especially when considering thickness, until we get major improvements in batteries.

--janak

Gang, I bought the 6315 to replace my trusty Treo 600. I was tired of the Treo's barely viewable screen outdoors and the lack of any bluetooth or Wi-Fi capacity. Don't get me wrong, I loved the Treo, but the 6315 is so much better. I will get used to some of the quirks coming back to a Pocket PC, but overall the 6315 is a much better deal at almost the same price point as when the Treo 600 was introduced. My Treo has gone to Ebay heaven.....

robcorn
08-21-2004, 08:59 PM
If you're looking for h6315 accessories, here's the web page:

http://h30143.www3.hp.com/configure2.cfm?oid=405360

I've already ordered an extended battery, it will be here Monday....

Chafic
08-21-2004, 09:01 PM
A few months ago I bought a Nokia 6600 phone, and needed it unlocked only about a month after I bought it becuase of a trip overseas. I called tMO, and they unlocked for me on the spot. I would think they would treat this the same.

Dolphin
08-21-2004, 09:05 PM
Robcorn,

Will it take videos?

Dolphin
08-21-2004, 09:15 PM
I think I'm headed to CompUSA to get one now... they have 5.

Snarf
08-21-2004, 09:24 PM
Just picked up a h6315 at CompUSA braintree (south boston).

Brilliant little device! Driving home from the store it picked up no fewer than 10 wifi networks.

GPRS isnt working out of the box... not entirely sure what i ought to be using as login/password for GPRS from t mobile. I activated my tmobile account a few hrs ago.. any thoughts?

sttapley03
08-21-2004, 09:28 PM
Just walked into Houston area CompUSA and walked out with the PDA I've been waiting for...and looks like it was worth the wait. I have read posts about inferior specs & such but this converged device does everything it is supposed to.

The last piece of the puzzle is getting Voice Command working with me BT headset. If/when, I'm happy for another year at least.

Thanks to all here for your contributions and sharing.

T

Dolphin
08-22-2004, 01:00 AM
Just picked mine up too! It's not as big as I thought! So, does it take videos? ... stay tuned!

jwick
08-22-2004, 03:16 AM
I got mine at Comp USA a few hours ago. Still getting use to it. So far it seems to be a very nice unit.

Pinnacle
08-22-2004, 03:36 AM
Just picked up a h6315 at CompUSA braintree (south boston).

Brilliant little device! Driving home from the store it picked up no fewer than 10 wifi networks.

GPRS isnt working out of the box... not entirely sure what i ought to be using as login/password for GPRS from t mobile. I activated my tmobile account a few hrs ago.. any thoughts?
There isn't a username or password for TMobile GPRS...they both stay blank. If you had it activated, it should be pre-configured to work out of the box. If you had it activated within the past few hours, just wait a little more time to see if it works.

aristoBrat
08-22-2004, 05:15 AM
I totally agree with pgb5 in that there is no innovation in this device. Lousy PDA, average phone, and bad looking design. I don't see a reason to choose this over XDA or Treo 600.
:roll:

Snarf
08-22-2004, 07:00 AM
&lt;&lt; There isn't a username or password for TMobile GPRS...they both stay blank. If you had it activated, it should be pre-configured to work out of the box. If you had it activated within the past few hours, just wait a little more time to see if it works. >>

Still doesn't work out of the box, but I've managed to get it working. the device's default GPRS points to "wap.voicestream.com". While the phone could detect GPRS, pocket IE refused to deliver any pages.

I changed that to point to "internet2.voicestream.com" and suddenly everything worked fine.

Just wondering if this is a problem with my Tmobile account, or something else?

Overall, very impressed with this device. I purchased it mainly for web access to run my own business remotely (ssh / IE mainly), but all the other things it can do are so cool.

First off, it does the above very well. Spectacularly well. Went to lunch after buying the device and it informed me that "Phil linksys" had been detected. Had free wifi access in the restaurant. Left the restaurant and it switched to GPRS.

As for playing movies on the device, I loaded an AVI onto a storage card and played it back. A little laggy during fast action, but not sure if thats a result of the processor or the software / file format.

Games seem fine, although the newer 3d/higher end games are a little laggy; solution is to turn off WIFI/GPRS while playing and the processor's a little happier. Age of empires, flux, everquest pocket PC, legacy, etc, all worked flawlessly.

When I enabled the T-mobile service, the guy said they had some h6315s in stock, but had been ordered by HP to not sell any until the 8th. Needless to say, he was quite surprised to see me bring on in an h6315 from CompUSA.

As for those of you who don't believe there's any innovation here, you're dead wrong. The WIFI/GPRS functionality alone defines this device. None other on the market can do what it can do so seamlessly and so completely. If serious internet access anywhere you go is your #1 priority, this is the device for you. If hard-core games or movie viewing is your priority then you're better off with something else.

Snarf

suddenly_ike
08-22-2004, 08:15 AM
As for playing movies on the device, I loaded an AVI onto a storage card and played it back. A little laggy during fast action, but not sure if thats a result of the processor or the software / file format
@ snarf

Can you tell me if the h6315 is able to stream videos over the internet.
(e.g. http://www.pocketpcmedia.com)

Dolphin
08-22-2004, 01:02 PM
As for playing movies on the device, I loaded an AVI onto a storage card and played it back. A little laggy during fast action, but not sure if thats a result of the processor or the software / file format.

Snarf

Snarf,

Avi files are usually very large... try using Windows Movie Maker to convert video files to an mpeg made for the PPC. There is an option to save the file for PPC right in WMM that makes it very easy. I have compressed one hour movies down to just 70mb and they played very well!

gmiller
08-22-2004, 01:21 PM
I've been reading the posts and went out and bought a 6315 yesterday. I played with it most of a day including a Jabra 200 bluetooth headset. My complaints:

Speaker and volume are too low to use in noisy environments.

Jabra headset had a great deal of static when connected to HP 6315 possibly due to interference from WIFI or other Bluetooth.

Processor too slow to play streaming video / audio. It crackled and locked up once while trying to listen to a simple 20k audio stream. Camera also seemed to eat up a lot of CPU so no multitasking with this device. It can barely run one cpu intensive app.

Size is a little too big. My XDA is thinner, more sturdy, and fits in the hand better.

Just my thoughts. I'm probably spoiled since I had an AXIM X3 400 MHZ for around the house and the TMobile phone edition for out in the streets.

I'll probably go back to two Pocket PC's and maybe Skype will support external phone calls soon.

Dolphin
08-22-2004, 01:27 PM
I'll probably go back to two Pocket PC's and maybe Skype will support external phone calls soon.

What's Skype?

suddenly_ike
08-22-2004, 02:18 PM

And skype already supports external phone calls (not free):
http://www.skype.com/skypeout.html

Pinnacle
08-22-2004, 03:17 PM
Size is a little too big. My XDA is thinner, more sturdy, and fits in the hand better.
It's amazing how there's "different strokes for different folks" ;)

I wouldn't be able to go back to my XDA after using my 6315. I personally think the 6315 feels much better. They're about the same weight, and the 6315 is thicker; but the 6315 feels much better as a phone, IMHO.

The screen on the 6315 is much, MUCH, better; it has BT; it has Wi-Fi; it has MUCH better battery life. There's no comparison.

Now I haven't tried the XDA II, which competes much better based off of specs. I don't know if there's anything out there that can compete with battery life on the 6315, though, except for the 4350...but that doesn't have a phone built-in.

There are memory limitations and it's definitely not the fastest unit out there. I'm still in the mindframe of the good outweighing the bad by a long shot, though.

minxie
08-22-2004, 03:35 PM
I found out yesterday that your cannot load Skype to the h6315. Then I lost all the interest in h6315. Guess we have to wait for another around of time. Hope Skype will support TI's CPU speed soon.

aristoBrat
08-22-2004, 04:25 PM
Processor too slow to play streaming video / audio. It crackled and locked up once while trying to listen to a simple 20k audio stream.
Were you streaming over GPRS?

norad
08-22-2004, 06:45 PM
I remember that I saw pictures of a 6300 series which did not have a camera on. So, is this one being sold? Or not yet released?

Thanks

websparc
08-22-2004, 06:58 PM
i think non-camera model is the europian model with same configuration.

Janak Parekh
08-22-2004, 07:08 PM
Actually, if I remember correctly, HP intends to release both into the general market, including the US market (something about a 6315 vs. a 6340 or somesuch). I have heard no further news, however, about the non-camera model and/or its release.

--janak

jimsparkman
08-22-2004, 08:30 PM
I've been waiting on this... decided to read the forums and such Friday night and at around 8:45p came across this thread and almost fell out of my chair... yes, so much for the T-Mobile early release program... signed up for that and have still heard nothing. Anyway, I promptly prceeded to compusa.com (had I only been an hour earlier checking PPCT, I'd have been there) and sure enough, the Montgomeryville PA store had them in stock. Placed one on reserve for pickup and it was there waiting on me Saturday morning, though they had to get it out of lockup and didn't even know they had it... none on the floor yet.

Anyway, have most of the software that I use almost daily reinstalled and so far everything works great:

- eWallet
- HP Mobile Printing
- Voice Commnad
- HTTPMail Provider
- ISS Scientific Calculator
- Handmark Express PageOne
- Reader Activation

So far, love the device. I was using the i-mate (XDAII), but needed and wanted the integrated Wi-Fi and don't want to worry about carrying the SanDisk Wi-Fi SD Card.

Just got my SE HBH-65 Bluetooth headset working with it, too... was quick and easy and seems to work very well so far.

Very nice device!

- Jim

jimsparkman
08-22-2004, 08:32 PM
I believe the model without the camera is going to be the h6310...

- Jim

suddenly_ike
08-22-2004, 09:15 PM
@jimsparkman

Can you tell me how the 6310 works with streaming media over wifi??

websparc
08-22-2004, 09:17 PM
Have you tried making call with your bluetooth headset without touching the pda, i mean either using voice command or some hardware button bluetooth? Also can you answer the call without touching the pda just with your bluetooth headset?

tourdewolf
08-22-2004, 09:24 PM
Went to Compusa today and like many others they had to get it out of the back, but the rep opened it up an put it on display for me so not so bad. This thing seems sweet, and might finally push me to dump the treo600. The only real question and the main reason I keep the treo and a 4355 is movies. Has anyone had a chance to watch a converted dvd or any other full length movie on one of these? One of my most used apps is betaplayer and I would love to know how this device handles it.

FWIW: the reason I didn't buy it today is the rep told me the $200 rebate for a 1yr contract expired yesterday but will be effective again next sunday. Anybody know anything about this rebate, seems all I have read have purchased without a contract. $399 is not a bad price for this unit especially if it can handle movies too.

zarape2
08-22-2004, 09:34 PM
hi guys, i have a question? this pocket will work with any SIM card or only with T-Mobile one?

i live in mexico and maybe will travel to the border to get one.... :)

ibmiked
08-22-2004, 10:14 PM
Hi everyone,

I just went out and bought the unit at a CompUSA here in NY (Farmingdale). Like most of you have mentioned, nobody in the store knew anythng about it, but when they did figure it out, I got the last one! Seems strange that they must have sold several w/o anyone knowing anything. I love the device, but I need to mention something no one else has. The unit has a yellow hue to the screen. Yes, this is the same yellowing found in the 1945/4150's. For all of it's amazing virtues, I am willing to deal with this minor problem, but I thought I should let everyone else know in case this is a deal breaker for anyone.

UNBELIEVABLE battery life!!!!!

Cheers

norad
08-22-2004, 10:20 PM
Actually, if I remember correctly, HP intends to release both into the general market, including the US market (something about a 6315 vs. a 6340 or somesuch). I have heard no further news, however, about the non-camera model and/or its release.

--janak

I think I'll wait little bit longer since I prefer buying the non-camera model. I don't see the point of paying 100-150 $ more for a useless camera which even becomes trouble for the user (in terms of not being able to bring it everywhere)

norad
08-22-2004, 10:22 PM
and more thing:

I'm already a T-mobile customer. I was thinking to cancel my account and sign-up for a new one in order to purchase 6315 for a cheaper price. However, I was told at CompUSA today that I need to wait for 90 days before I can sign-up for a new account.

an anyone confirm this?

ibmiked
08-22-2004, 10:28 PM
I also want to mention that I was a new TMobile customer, and somehow I paid $424 plus tax and including the new activation fee. I'm not sure how this worked out, maybe they were supposed to charge me the additional $75 and forgot, or maybe it will be on my first statement, but either way, the device should be obtainable for $499 with activation, no need to wait for a "Rebate" as has been mentioned.

Hope this helps.

websparc
08-22-2004, 11:48 PM
I went to compusa in my area and the guy there mentioned if you activate it with one year more than 39.99 plan for tmobile you'll get $175 off from the price of $599. I played with it some more time today and there were one video song saved on the card. so I played that song in windows media player, it played without any prob. Now I've one question I'm wondering if anyone ever tried running yahoo or msn on this PDA or any other and able to do audio chat on wi-fi internet?

mashtim
08-23-2004, 12:57 AM
So far, my experience has been that while the 6315 will PAIR with the FreeSpeak (& the BMW BT car kit), the connection is not active until a call is initiated (be it incoming or outgoing). This precludes you from initiating calls from a BT headset (car kit) button.

BizzyBone
08-23-2004, 03:09 AM
I picked up one today at the CompUSA in Concord, DE. Comparing this device to my XDA II, I like the XDA II better. Don't get me wrong the HP 6315 has some pros but the yellowish hue, noticeably slow processor, very low sound, lacking of the intergrated photo contacts application, and the missing wireless modem feature makes me appreciate my XDA II more. Kinda sucks that I can't use the Truefax application with the 6315. However I love the thumb keyboard and the fact it's included in the package as well as the great battery life you all mentioned. I guess my perfect device will be the XDA III. :)

Gus
08-23-2004, 04:11 AM
Hello,

I'm a smartphone addict like all here and have a few questions concerning the h6315.

1) Do you have to keep the power on in order to receive a phone call????
This would be important as I usually keep my PDA off while in my pocket, though it seems unlikely that you can receive a call while the power is off.

2) How is the volume and quality of the earpiece, microphone, and speaker phone while talking on the phone?

3) Is it easy to use accounts such as Yahoo using Pocket Inbox? Can you send and receive attachments? I have not been succesful doing this with my Ipaq 2210 and SE T610. I have to connect to Yahoo.com and check my mail that way, though I cannot send mail. Can anyone say how the email works on this device?

Thanks very much!

Janak Parekh
08-23-2004, 04:26 AM
1) Do you have to keep the power on in order to receive a phone call????
This would be important as I usually keep my PDA off while in my pocket, though it seems unlikely that you can receive a call while the power is off.
None of the Pocket PC Phoness require that you leave the PDA part on. Just turn the PDA part off, but the radio will continue waiting for a call -- and when it gets it, it'll "wake up" the PDA and show the incoming caller on the screen.

3) Is it easy to use accounts such as Yahoo using Pocket Inbox? Can you send and receive attachments? I have not been succesful doing this with my Ipaq 2210 and SE T610. I have to connect to Yahoo.com and check my mail that way, though I cannot send mail. Can anyone say how the email works on this device?
This would work the exact same way as your BT setup. I haven't tried Yahoo, so I can't say if there's a solution or not.

I'll let a 6315 owner answer #2. ;)

--janak

bmcbride_81
08-23-2004, 05:23 AM
2) How is the volume and quality of the earpiece, microphone, and speaker phone while talking on the phone?

Hello Gus...I just bought a 6315 today in st louis, mo. I am writing to u on my 6315's keyboard...it's nice. The volume on the device is fine...the earpierce works and sounds great...the only sound flaw imho is the speakerphone, it is too quiet.

hope this helps

--brian

thechrisjung
08-23-2004, 05:28 AM
Can anyone post pictures taken with the camera?

Cavatina
08-23-2004, 06:22 AM
Apparently, they have been selling the unlocked version in singapore since last friday -> http://www.pdatrends.com/showthread.php?threadid=2345

drdchow
08-23-2004, 10:11 AM
Got the iPaq 6315 today at COMPUSA San Francisco. Noon today I strolled into and went to the mobile electronics counter to ask to buy an iPaq 6315, I had my creditcard in hand ready to go and get the hell out of there.

There was some demoguy who worked for compusa as a product specialist with was a real wiseguy. He said I couldn't buy it without activation, then a youngman who wore regular compusa red agreed to sell me one.

This "product specialist" proceeded to the guy behind the counter to say something about making me activate even though I agreed to buy it at $599 without activation.

It seems like CRAPUSA's product specialists have a real bad attitude and are anti making a sale.

Okay so far I noticed my baby ipaq is pretty nice.

Pros
*Good battery life
*Decent reception
*possible antenna boosting option adapter on back of unit near antenna
*bluetooth, wifi and gsm intergrated device.
*Appears to be pretty responsive
*Good screen and brightness is user adjustable

Cons
*Battery charging via USB only works when device is powered off.
*thumbboard is kind of bulky
*thumbboard does not fit into supplied case
*supply case is not belt looped and can come off easily possibly.
*earphones does not have an answer/
hangup button or volume control.
*no external jog-dial/rocker
*no USB host
*no CF slot or dual SDIO memory slots.
*no expansion sleeve
*thumboard is not backlit

23109VC
08-23-2004, 10:39 AM
I currently use an Ipaq 1945 with a SE T616. I also have a Jabra BT headset. I love the ability to look up a phone number on my PPC, click "dial via BT" and then just click my BT headset and be on the phone.

I also REALLY like to be able to have my BT headset on, while driving, and push the headset button, to activate the voice diealing ability of the phone and say who I want to call. I never have to touch my phone. I can initiate calls 100% from the headset.

Can the 6315 do the same thing? If I have a BT headset paired to the 6315 and click my BT headset button, does the 6315 let me "say" who I want to call and then dial it, or do I have to initiate the call on the 6315's screen. and then click my headset button to get the call on the headset?

the 6315 seems like a great device, but I"m not sure it's a good replacement for my "2 box" system. I still find myself in situations where I need quick access to my phone. I usually have my PPC in my cargo pocket (shorts) or jacket pocket (if at work in my suit) and my phone in my shirt pocket. My T616 is small enough to leave in my shirt pocket. If I get a quick call, I can answer it, say what I need to say, and get off. A 30 second call is very easy to do with a small candy bar style phone. That would be a pain with a big bulky PPC phone device. If I want to pick that call up with my BT headset, I either have to stick it in my ear, or be wearing the headset all the time, which looks geeky/dorky and I won't do. IN the car is one thing, but at the office (or in court where I am a lot as I am an attorney) wearing a big earpiece looks stupid...IMHO. If I am on a long call, I don't mind snapping in my BT headset to talk.

I'm not sold on the idea that I could do more with a 6315 than I can right now..except the wifi. NOw if I had a 4000 series Ipaq (that has wifi built in) and my T616..then I would think I could do anything the 6315 could do, but better. faster CPU, and more conveniently sized phone for quick calls or blind dialing/quick dialing new numbers.

it's not that I am bashing the 6315, I actually really want to buy one. It's just that I think my curent setup is better..even though I think the 6315 is super cool....the impulsive side of me wants to run otu and buy one and be "cool". my pracitcal side is saying "this device isn't what you need"...I still think the two box solution gives me the best of both worlds..the only benefit to the 6315 I can clearly see is the convenience of having "it all" in one box. but since the T616 and 1945/4400 series PPCs are so small...and the 6315 is kind of bulky..one box vs two little boxes...it's a wash.

someone sway me..convince me the 6315 is worth it.

:)

Jon Westfall
08-23-2004, 01:58 PM
http://www.t-mobile.com/images/home/ipaqAd02.gif :(

Mr. PPC
08-23-2004, 02:01 PM
Can someone confirm what Bluetooth services are available on the HP?

What everyone is asking about is Headset (think every Bluetooth implementation supports this) and Handsfree mode (this is the one missing from XDA II). The Handsfree mode is the service that supports transfering all audio to a Bluetooth device.

kcwester
08-23-2004, 03:13 PM
I have not been able to get the wireless network at home to work. It picks it up but won't go to any sites. Says Internet page cannot be found. I have other Pocket PC devices that I can connect without any problems and check the settings and they are identical except for the other devices have My ISP as select networks and this has T-Mobile Connections. It does not have the option for MY ISP. The Network card settings are identical. Thanks in advace. I really love the device but,? Also, has anyone successfully connected the HP regular keyboard? When I do it freezes the device making a hard reset a necessity.

Cheryl

palmsolo
08-23-2004, 04:16 PM
I am happy to finally see a WM2003 Phone Edition hitting the US and am pleased to see that people are happy with it. However, for those of us early adopters that couldn't wait for a Phone Edition to hit the US the XDA/MDA II has been our device for some time now. I have a T-Mobile MDA II and thought about selling it to get a 6315 back when the specs were still in rumor stage.

I decided not to go for the 6315 because the MDA II has a very loud speaker and speakerphone, integrated BT, 128MB RAM and 32MB of usable ROM, a camera like the 6315, and a 400MHz processor. It is lacking WiFi, but a SD card can be added to get that and I also have the thumb keyboard attachment. Granted the thumb keyboard isn't that great for the MDA II. In my opinion, the MDA III should be a better power device than the 6315, but at probably double the cost.

I like the fact that the 6315 gets great battery life and now that I think about it that is probably more important for a Phone Edition than being able to watch movies play smoothly. I get a full day with my standard battery and Mugen Power is coming out with a 2000 mAh replacement as well. I think the 6315 is a great device for those just getting into Phone Editions, but think the MDA III will be the one for those hungry for lots of memory and power.

I am keeping my MDA II for now and holding out for a VGA MDA IV in 2005.

fmcpherson
08-23-2004, 04:29 PM
How large of an internal File Store (Built-in storage) does the 6315 have?

kcwester
08-23-2004, 06:05 PM
The Ipaq File Store has 20.91 left to install programs in. I still can't connect to my home network after more than one hour with support from T-Mobile. They think it is a faulty device but want me to check it at a hotspot first. Any suggestions to getting this working would be appreciated. I'm tired of doing hard resets for nothing.
Cheryl

aximx3dude
08-23-2004, 06:37 PM
How does the data plan work with T-mobile? If I get the $39.99 minute plan - can i use the minutes for data use?

Thanks

mesposito2
08-23-2004, 06:49 PM
How does the data plan work with T-mobile? If I get the $39.99 minute plan - can i use the minutes for data use?

Thanks

I've been speaking with TMobile. As far as I know, the voice plan is just for voice. If you buy a voice plan, you can buy unlimited Internet access (data) for $19.99. The data service by itself is $29.99. (With no voice plan)

Mark

heyday
08-23-2004, 07:05 PM
I just went to Compusa and they said "Since it came directly from HP and not T-mobile we can't give you the $175 off"

Whats up with that? I think it would be wise for me to be a little more patient.....

heyday

I went to compusa in my area and the guy there mentioned if you activate it with one year more than 39.99 plan for tmobile you'll get $175 off from the price of $599. I played with it some more time today and there were one video song saved on the card. so I played that song in windows media player, it played without any prob. Now I've one question I'm wondering if anyone ever tried running yahoo or msn on this PDA or any other and able to do audio chat on wi-fi internet?

websparc
08-23-2004, 07:53 PM
This is what guy told me at compusa shop in wireless section. Ans I asked him are you sure and he said yes.

mashtim
08-23-2004, 08:21 PM
KCWester:
I, too, am having that problem (web pages not loading).
It's strange to me, since it worked
all weekend at my girlfriend's house, but not at my own.
Question: didyou install either PocketPlus 2 or Journal Sync to your unit? Those are the only 2 programs that I've installed since I last has PIE working.
Oh, and I also enabled the PIM Monitoring option in Backup.

gratefuled
08-23-2004, 08:43 PM
First impressions on the iPAQ 6315:
I do not see that much of a speed difference between the iPAQ PPC-PE and my MDA II. It is slightly slower, but not even remotely close to half as slow.
What I love-The BT Headset allows for full audio on the headset. I loaded Audible, with some difficulty, and I can listen to that program on my Jabra 250. Finally full audio. One problem though I cannot seem to get the headset to dial a number yet. But I can hang up a call.
The MDA II is quite a bit louder than the iPAQ 6315, which is a dissapointment.
What I hate-the RAM size is ridiculous. Very hard to go from 128 to lees than 60 RAM. I emailed PPC Techs and they are getting a unit to test out for RAM Upgrade.
Is this an upgrade form the MDA II, probably not, but it is new and I love new gadgets. Aagain the BT is a substantial upgrade.
I will probably loan my MDA II to someone in my office. If I do not like the iPAQ 6315 after awhile I will swap it and get my MDA II back.

What I want is the MPX, but Moto better get the meory fixed in a big way or forget it. Anything less that 128 should not even be out there in my opinion.

organon
08-23-2004, 09:49 PM

Thanks

I've been speaking with TMobile. As far as I know, the voice plan is just for voice. If you buy a voice plan, you can buy unlimited Internet access (data) for $19.99. The data service by itself is $29.99. (With no voice plan)

Mark
Yeah, T-Mobile's data plans are CONFUSING. However, unless something about this device is strange, the $4.99 Unlimited T-Zones plan should be all that you need. I use this on my Nokia 6600 and get full HTML/IMAP/POP/etc. access using any application I throw at it. The $19.99 plan is only "necessary" if you plan on using the phone/pda as a modem for your laptop. I've heard that even this isn't really true and that the $4.99 plan will work here, as well, but I haven't tried it. Anyway, just get the $4.99 plan and try it out.

Good luck,
Paul

ale_ers
08-23-2004, 09:55 PM
You guys kill me. I watched the last 6315 get sold in Atlanta on Friday at about 2pm.

The guy who bought it asked them if they had it it back just before me...I said check for two. They only came back with one. I almost wrestled him for it, but I thought better.

Now I wait for the restock or to pick one up in my travels.

DHILL
08-23-2004, 10:09 PM
I think T-Mobile is releasing the 6315 on 8/26. I have read that they will also offer a special plan (data, MMS, SMS and voice) for the 6315 then. If you do not have at least T-Zones on your account, you may have trouble getting the data service to work. I would wait until T-Mobile releases it and see what plans they offer with it. If it is a good plan, I am thinking about switching for my HP 5555 (soon to be HX4700)/SE Z600 combo.

robcorn
08-23-2004, 10:53 PM
POWER TEST TODAY!

Okay, I was working all day, had the 6315 powered up at 0700, paired to my Jabra Freespeak 250 bluetooth the entire time, made phone calls, had my email pushed to me (My Email Triggers) and just got back to the hotel at 550pm. I'm showing 54% of battery left. Not bad at all!

Still working at Voice Command and my Contacts list to make it easier to dial...

joe30306
08-23-2004, 11:08 PM
You guys kill me. I watched the last 6315 get sold in Atlanta on Friday at about 2pm.

The guy who bought it asked them if they had it it back just before me...I said check for two. They only came back with one. I almost wrestled him for it, but I thought better.

Now I wait for the restock or to pick one up in my travels.

ALE_ERS,

I'm in Atlanta, and I bought mine Sunday at CompUSA (Lenox Square). At that time, they had several.

My main disappointment so far is that I am unable to send attachments using GPRS. I have T-zones Unlimited. I got a great technician in T-Mobile wireless data who tried eveverything, but no success yet. I'm simply trying to send a picture taken with the iPaq camera. It times out after about two minutes of trying to send. Other than email attachments, I send/receive email fine, and I can browse the internet fine.... all over GRPS using access point WAP.VOICESTREAM.COM. I have tried using T-mobile's SMTP server as well as my email providers SMTP server.

If I use my h5555 paired with my Nokia 3650, email attachments are not a problem.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,

Joe

kcwester
08-23-2004, 11:19 PM
Hi
I do not have any programs installed on mine as I did a hard reset to see if that was causing the problem of connecting to my wireless network. I even returned the unit as it would not connect to T-Mobile hotspots either. My new unit will connect to Hotspots, but not to GPRS or to my home network. Any solutions would be appreciated.

erickbryce
08-24-2004, 01:59 AM
More bad news, T-Mobile USED US! Comp USA selling them across the board, went to a T-Mobile store they had 8 in back, showed me the phone but said can not sell it to me until the 26th. She said she just got a memo from corporate and anyone selling this phone before the 26th will be "in big trouble" whoooo, I'm shaking all over and so is everyone else who's selling them. Further more she said they were instructed to use these phones to get new activations first then they would become available to customer! UNBELIEVABLE! It gets worse! I Spoke to T-Mobile supervisor today and said hey what happened to the get it before everyone else. I mean everyone's getting it before us who signed up for the "SO CALLED" get your before everyone else. His official response was there must be a mix up and what do you want me to do about it. I thought that’s rude, thanks a lot! He went on to say they don't have an official release date, and have not been told one yet...what a second? I said your stores, some comp USA's, and HP themselves all say the 26th, what do you mean there's no know release date? He said get this; they are "ALL" mistaken. I said so what about all us who were promised to get it first? He said hold on a second. He came back and said everyone who signed up will have there's shipped out to them on the day of release. Smells like BS to me. So here's the bottom line. The device by all parties claims to be the 26th, so on the 26th all locations with stock have to green light to sell, and according to T-Mobile all us who signed up to get it before anyone else will have it shipped to us on this date to here's the real SH%ty part within 5 BUSINESS DAYS! from the release date! So not only are we not getting it before all the comp USA, and T-Mobile dealer sales, we are going to get it in-fact LAST!!! 5 DAYS AFTER ANYONE ELSE CAN JUST GO INTO A STORE ON THAT DATE AND PICK IT UP! This is the biggest F#CK-UP I have ever seen in customer service. We're getting SCREWED here guys! T-MOBILE USED US! Here’s the only logical conclusion one can come to.....They used all us baiting us with a false promise they never intended to keep to get a pulse on the initial volume they needed to order to get the ball rolling. They used us to not order too many or too little and figured we'd just go pick one up the same time or a week later and wouldn't care once we had it. They have made no offer of resolution to all the loyal customers that played their little waiting game and do not intend to make it right with them either. Just an "ooohps we're so sorry" empty line and "deal with it." p.s. thanks for helping us get the initial order right, wink wink. Thanks for taking one for the team. This is a call to arms gentlemen; T-Mobile owes us OUR phone before anyone else or it's false advertising. What do you think? Should we get our phones now and everyone else have to wait longer, should we get compensated, should the early sellers be punished, do we deserve reconciliation for being lied to, and possibly used? What's worse they've even instructed their sales teams to use this item to get new activations FIRST over CUSTOMERS. Who knows what line you'll get when you go to try and pick yours up at the same time the "NEW" customer is buying theirs.... What should we do about this boys? Should we just take it with a "Thank you sir! can I have another!" or should we do something? What do you think? Seriously.

norad
08-24-2004, 03:31 AM
erickbryce, I think you are taking this way too serious :roll:

Dolphin
08-24-2004, 05:23 AM
erickbryce

I feel for you. But, why don't you just ask for your money back and go buy one somewhere else. Or, buy one now and then return the one that that was presold to you. It's not like you have to keep the presold... just return it. That is... if you have an extra five or six hundred buck to cover the new purchase while waiting to get your refund on the presold.

That’s what I would do. Good Luck!

P.S. Try using paragraphs... it would make reading your posts easier!

tourdewolf
08-24-2004, 05:38 AM
Too serious indeed, however Tmobile is notorious for pumping out "mythical" release dates as well as "oh we have a great new hardware for you someday" hype.

Fortunately those of us who waited on the Treo 600 launch are well acustomed to the eroneous BS tmobile and their manufacturers spit out. (Tmobile promised to be the first carrier to offer the treo but end the end was the very last, shipping the device over 6 months after all other carriers had product in market. All the while promising tomorrow, next week, next ....)

I will give them credit, they do have the best rate plans and often cutting edge hardware, just not a well informed staff.

willkess71
08-24-2004, 07:46 AM
I picked up mine from a CompUSA in Bridgeton, Mo(St. Louis). I have been waiting for this for a while. I managed to get every radio working at once with a bit of a power drain but all 3 worked. I also managed to get Active Sync working via Wi-Fi, although I had to do some connection manager re-configuring. I am really impressed by the size. I need to get a new case though. I will be paranoid until I get a case that can hold onto the 6315. This is a really good Pocket PC Phone Edition.

Peace,

Fr. Bill

mesposito2
08-24-2004, 02:59 PM
erickbryce, I think you are taking this way too serious :roll:

True, but it's nice to see that much passion over this thing. It's been a long time since I've had any passion over a handheld.

Finally, a delivery date worth getting upset about! &lt;g>

Calming down may actually save some people some money if Tmobile bundles some extra plan incentives with the hardware.

Mark

DaleReeck
08-24-2004, 05:12 PM
He came back and said everyone who signed up will have there's shipped out to them on the day of release.

I'm confused here. I also signed up at the T-Mobile web site. But I saw it at CompUSA, so I bought it there. But what that guy said makes no sense. When I signed up, no payment was asked for. I looks like just an email alert that would tell you how to get it "early". What, are they just blindly shipping devices to people without paying first? Did you somehow pay for it ahead of time? As I said, I'm confused.

I mean, I don't get the big deal here. Go buy it at CompUSA and just dump the T-Mobile email if and when it comes. Unless it is a price issue as T-Mobile will offer more opportunities to get it cheaper. Otherwise, CompUSA is the way to go.

fmcpherson
08-24-2004, 07:02 PM
Has anyone else who has the H6315 experiencing problems with the Bluetooth Manager?

Frequently when I try to start the Manager to pair the H6315 with another device the Manager won't load. I tap the button in the iPAQ Wireless Manager and basically nothing happens. I an turn Bluetooth on or off ok, but neither Manager or Settings will load. My work around has been to do a soft reset, then immediately start Bluetooth and then the Manager, which tends to work. Obviously I shouldn't have to jump through these hoops to start the Manager. I haven't even installed any software on the device yet, so there can't be a conflict.

mesposito2
08-24-2004, 07:39 PM
Yeah, T-Mobile's data plans are CONFUSING. However, unless something about this device is strange, the $4.99 Unlimited T-Zones plan should be all that you need. I use this on my Nokia 6600 and get full HTML/IMAP/POP/etc. access using any application I throw at it. The $19.99 plan is only "necessary" if you plan on using the phone/pda as a modem for your laptop. I've heard that even this isn't really true and that the $4.99 plan will work here, as well, but I haven't tried it. Anyway, just get the $4.99 plan and try it out.

Good luck,
Paul

Thanks for the info. That makes me wonder then how the provider knows the difference? Why wouldn't people just buy the T-Zones and use it as a modem, as you say? If it's GPRS, how does the network know what device is getting the data? For example, what's the difference between getting my email from the HP6315 and a laptop?

Could there be bandwidth limitations with T-Zones?

Mark

mesposito2
08-24-2004, 07:49 PM

Good luck,
Paul

Ok - just got off the phone with TMobile. He tells me that they won't sell the 6315 with T-Zone only. It was made for Wap support. Of course, this doesn't really mean anything. He didn't understand that the protocol doesn't care what kind of data you are accessing. Unless there is some kind of bandwidth limitation on T-Zones, I can see how it would work, unless of course they restrict the access on the network side based on the user's privelidges. I could be talking nonsense here since I don't reallyl know.

I guess the bottom-line is that if they won't sell it with T-Zone only, that will pretty much answer the question. I'll have to wait until Thursday to find out. BTW, the salesman reiterated to me that he could sell me the HP on the 26th.

Mark

randyzon
08-24-2004, 08:56 PM
Whoa, everything is so serious :devilboy: that maybe I will need to conceal the little varment so I won't get mugged at Starbuck's.

peterawest
08-24-2004, 11:02 PM
so much for the T-Mobile early release program... signed up for that and have still heard nothing.

I got an e-mail from T-Mobile today. Here is part of what they said: "Don't miss this exclusive early-order offer. Get your iPAQ today with a T-Mobile bundled rate plan starting at $79.99 per month. Plus, respond to this offer and order your new iPAQ for just $499.99-before it arrives in stores."

I like where they said "before it arrives in stores." I guess they didn't know that CompUSA got an early start.

peterawest
08-24-2004, 11:20 PM
I still can't connect to my home network after more than one hour with support from T-Mobile. They think it is a faulty device but want me to check it at a hotspot first. Any suggestions to getting this working would be appreciated.

Could it be that your WiFi network is using a level of security that Windows Mobile does not support. For example, are you using WPA? I don't think the Pocket PC supports this yet.

Does anyone know?

joe30306
08-24-2004, 11:28 PM
Could it be that your WiFi network is using a level of security that Windows Mobile does not support. For example, are you using WPA? I don't think the Pocket PC supports this yet.

Does anyone know?

WPA is supported on the h6315. I am using WPA-PSK / TKIP. It works great for me, connecting to my Linksys WAP54G.

scary
08-25-2004, 12:31 AM
Hi. Has anyone had any problems with the 6315 yet? I bought one yesterday at CompUSA, and immediately the head fell off of the stylus. I can glue it on and it will be ok. The second thing is that mine has no sound at all, other than the speaker when talking on the phone. The screen clicks can't be heard, music, waves, ringtones, etc. can't be heard. It fails the self-test for sound also. And no, I don't have the speaker turned off or down. CompUSA is now sold out of them in the area and I can't even get a replacement for the time being, so I put the phone on vibrate, so I will know a call is coming in.

When these are working properly and a call comes in, does the ringer start ringing before the message about an incoming call pops up on the screen? I am worried about having enough time to answer a call before it goes to missed calls.

Otherwise, it is pretty cool, but slow.
The screen is anywhere in color from white to yellow, depending on angle of viewing.

At least T-Mobile has great reception in my area and the Internet service is also good. Other carriers in my city give me terribly unreliable service, anywhere from 0 to 3 bars of reception and garbled and dropped calls, but this one with T-Mobile is giving me a solid 4 bars and clear calls so far.

Steve

Jon Westfall
08-25-2004, 12:41 AM
I mean, I don't get the big deal here. Go buy it at CompUSA and just dump the T-Mobile email if and when it comes. Unless it is a price issue as T-Mobile will offer more opportunities to get it cheaper. Otherwise, CompUSA is the way to go.

The Big deal here is that some of us don't have a compUSA near us... and we were depending on T-Mobile to keep its words and let US have the first ones available for sale... Its not a matter of "Just go buy it now and stop whining", its the principle of being lied to because some slackoff at CompUSA ignored release dates.

kgb
08-25-2004, 01:50 AM
I was also on "the list", but couldn't wait when I found one in Comp USA in Burbank, CA. It was a return, but no apparent problems. Just today though I have had to soft reset 6-7 times when it would not recover from the sleep mode. Anyone else have the problem or a potential solution?

Otherwise I am very pleased with everything so far. Originally bought the iPAQ 5555 when it came out and hoped it would eventually be a phone, then went to TMobile's Pocket PC Phone Edition (not enough memory and no BT).

kcwester
08-25-2004, 03:20 AM
I do not have anything special on my router at home. I have a satellite connection (can't get cable or DSL) and can connect my 5555 without a problem. I have spent hours on the phone with T-Mobile and they are working with me but not having any luck either. I can connect to HotSpots and I did connect to a free network at a local coffee shop without a problem. On top of that now my email won't work. I have sent in the settings again and waiting for the automatic configuration. My unit has also frozen a lot today and I've had to do several soft resets. Has anyone else noticed how slow the reset is to load? I have put check notifications on it to eliminate the duplicates caused by the resets.

My access at home has not worked with or without extra programs installed.

Suggestions?

organon
08-25-2004, 04:07 AM
Yeah, T-Mobile's data plans are CONFUSING...

Thanks for the info. That makes me wonder then how the provider knows the difference? Why wouldn't people just buy the T-Zones and use it as a modem, as you say? If it's GPRS, how does the network know what device is getting the data? For example, what's the difference between getting my email from the HP6315 and a laptop?

Could there be bandwidth limitations with T-Zones?

Mark
No, I don't think there are any bandwidth limitations. As far as I can tell, the only difference is that the $19.95 plan doesn't have any ports blocked, while the $4.95 plan blocks most ports except those well known ones like HTTP, HTTPS, IMAP, POP, etc. So, if you don't need anything special, all should work just fine. 99% of the world operates on these common ports, so I'd assume most people wouldn't care about the blocked ones.

Ok - just got off the phone with TMobile. He tells me that they won't sell the 6315 with T-Zone only. It was made for Wap support. Of course, this doesn't really mean anything. He didn't understand that the protocol doesn't care what kind of data you are accessing. Unless there is some kind of bandwidth limitation on T-Zones, I can see how it would work, unless of course they restrict the access on the network side based on the user's privelidges. I could be talking nonsense here since I don't reallyl know.

I guess the bottom-line is that if they won't sell it with T-Zone only, that will pretty much answer the question. I'll have to wait until Thursday to find out. BTW, the salesman reiterated to me that he could sell me the HP on the 26th.
Yep, I got the same e-mail.

For those who were not on the "list," you can got to http://www.t-mobile.com/ipaq/ and see for yourself.

This is a really ridiculous ploy. Basically they are only selling it with this plan that includes their essentially worthless (unless you spend all day in airports or coffee shops--though I applaud them for trying) HotSpot service and the above Internet plan (graciously bundled at a $10 discount), when all most people need/want is the $39.99, 1000 minute plan with $4.99 unlimited t-zones. I'd imagine that you could purchase the phone for $499, sign up for the $79.99 plan and immediately downgrade, but who knows. They may do something crazy to limit this. Oh well. So much for the "special" rate plans...

Paul

dmiller
08-25-2004, 12:07 PM
For me the important question is how responsive is Pocket Informant?

strad62
08-25-2004, 06:28 PM
Has anyone had problems with the 6315 not staying turned off? When I try to put mine in standby mode (by pressing power button), it will turn on shortly afterward for no apparent reason. Also, I have noticed that GPRS will sometimes not work at all.

Any ideas?

Chris

troyjam
08-25-2004, 06:29 PM
I do not have anything special on my router at home. I have a satellite connection (can't get cable or DSL) and can connect my 5555 without a problem. I have spent hours on the phone with T-Mobile and they are working with me but not having any luck either. I can connect to HotSpots and I did connect to a free network at a local coffee shop without a problem. On top of that now my email won't work. I have sent in the settings again and waiting for the automatic configuration. My unit has also frozen a lot today and I've had to do several soft resets. Has anyone else noticed how slow the reset is to load? I have put check notifications on it to eliminate the duplicates caused by the resets.

My access at home has not worked with or without extra programs installed.

Suggestions?
kcwester,
I am having the exact same problem that you are experiencing, except for the e-mail prob's. I can connect to my network w/my 3950 w/Sandisk wifi card w/no problems. When I attempt to use my new 6315 using the exact same settings as the 3950 the 6315 connects to the network but will not access the internet. Very frustating. What AP are u using? Someone mentioned if u have a Linksys to upgrade the firmware on your AP. This will be my next step & if that does not solve the problem I will probably return the 6315. :cry:

erickbryce
08-26-2004, 09:23 AM
Please note this all happened on the same day I got the email from GetMoreConnected Get it first Promotion. First chance I had to post. Sorry

Wow! OK do I feel like a jerk. T-Mobile made good on their promise! I have renewed faith in the totally cool and hip T-Mobile. One will never know if prodding and complaining made the difference. Thank you Catherine's brother (head of t-mobile USA) however incase it had nothing to do with that I thought I'd take egg on the face if deserved. I believe one should never be afraid of standing up against adversity, and one should never be afraid to be embarrassed to take credit for their mistakes. We should be as militant about our battles as we are about our errors. Anyway T-Mobile made good on their promise. I got my get yours before anyone else email today. Called customer service and they told me I could order it over the phone through sales department, website link listed in email, or some stores in distribution channel had it available for early pick up. I got a little hassle at the store but upon showing them the email the manager OK'd it. Another interesting note the manager also said the reason he put up a fuss at first is they got a scathing email Instructing them not to sell units before the 26th and just yesterday they got another telling them to hold the units till the 29th. So it looks like everyone who signed up to set it early, will! Good Job T-Mobile! Boy do I feel like a dork now. It's a pretty cool device. Huge step up from my T-Mobile Pocket PC.

After reading some of the posts here and other forums I may have just grabbed the right people by the shirt collar high enough up. So I have no idea. I was all excited about posting and point out how I was wrong.....now I'm not so sure. Damb :doh: I had such reborn faith in ol t-mo:befuddled

mesposito2
08-26-2004, 02:19 PM
This is a really ridiculous ploy. Basically they are only selling it with this plan that includes their essentially worthless (unless you spend all day in airports or coffee shops--though I applaud them for trying) HotSpot service and the above Internet plan...
Paul

Actually, I spoke with T-Mobile last night, and the salesman told me you don't have to buy the hotspots. I guess they are just suggesting that bundle.

Mark

fmcpherson
08-26-2004, 09:02 PM
fwiw, my H6315 was configured for the T-zones APN (wap.voicestream.com) and I found it to be slower than my normal T-Mobile Wireless Internet service. (the $19.99/mo plan) Because it seemed slower I went into Connection Manager and that is how I noticed it was using wap.voicestream.com. I switched that to internet3.voicestream.com, which is what I normally use, and found my connection speed to be noticably faster.

On a different subject. A word of warning to those using the Instant Messaging software included on the H6315. It is not using the GPRS connection for IM as you would for normal IM clients but rather SMS. If you go beyond the number of SMS messages in your plan you will get charged 5 cents for each message. Be careful if you are doing a lot of IMing with that client.

norad
08-27-2004, 02:34 AM
I'm having trouble with WI-FI, too. Right now, I'm surfing the web using WI-FI on my laptop, but my ipaq doesn't detect either my own wi-fi network or any other networks. It also doesn't pass the WI-FI self test. I really feel so bad after paying 600$ and ending up with this device. T-mobile customer support can't be any worse. They do not know anything about this device. Now, I'm trying HP customer service.

kcwester
08-27-2004, 02:48 AM
I have been in close contact with T-Mobile HotSpot customer service. The gentleman I've been talking to, Ricardo, has been wonderful. He has called me several times and we have been troubleshooting to see what is going on. He had an issue with someone with D-Link and they had to update the Firmware. He is working with me on Linksys and has not given up. They want to fix this issue as there are a few of us having this problem. As soon as I get this resolved I will post what steps we had to take in order to resolve this.

HP customer service turns us over to T-Mobile and they contact HP when there are issues that need resolved regarding Wi-Fi. It is difficult to be patient, I know, but I'm doing my best and am being hopefully optimistic.

norad
08-27-2004, 02:54 AM
kcwester:

I'm happy to hear that you are being helped in a better way. I hope that we get an answer soon...

Thanks

ikesler
08-27-2004, 05:42 PM
For me the important question is how responsive is Pocket Informant?
ditto :D

jcsickz
08-27-2004, 11:52 PM
can someone please post some pics taken with the 6315 camera?

Dolphin
08-28-2004, 02:09 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/toddsmith/snap0038.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/toddsmith/snap0023.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/toddsmith/snap0021.jpg

Dolphin
08-28-2004, 02:15 AM
Purple VGA... what more can you say.

It has been said before... don't throw away your digital camera just yet.

It did come in handy to capture the size 14 bear paw print though.

kcwester
08-28-2004, 04:16 AM
I am relieved to say that I'm now connected to the wireless network at home. I had a linksys router (b) and apparently T-mobile had had several people with issues in connecting with it. They were talking to HP and linksys. The gentleman, Ricardo, I was speaking to was wonderful. He spent days on this and made countless phone calls to both Linksys and HP. He was able to get others to work but I finally bought a D-Link. He even helped me get it up and running and now all is great. I can't say enough for T-Mobile customer service. I'm sure he had to be frustrated but he never once lost his cool. They have definitely kept me as a customer.

fmcpherson
08-28-2004, 10:42 PM
Has anyone had problems with the 6315 not staying turned off? When I try to put mine in standby mode (by pressing power button), it will turn on shortly afterward for no apparent reason. Also, I have noticed that GPRS will sometimes not work at all.

Any ideas?

Chris

I've noticed this with GPRS. If anything happens, like an email comes in, it turns on.

fmcpherson
08-28-2004, 10:47 PM
kcwester, were you using WEP? I've read of people having problems with 128k WEP. I use a linksys router, but mine is open and so far I haven't had any problems.

kcwester
08-29-2004, 03:49 AM
Yes, I was using WEP. I believe it was only 64 though. When we removed it the issue still didn't correct itself. I heard that others were successful when WEP was removed--I wanted it for security, however.

I have also had my machine go on for no apparent reason. I have set the email trigger but so far it doesn't seem to be working. I have also noticed that it freezes up quite frequently, and have had to do several soft resets a day. This has happened when GPRS is both on and off.

I know it is the first one out with all the options but I do hope they make some corrections and offer patches. I also have a hard time hearing it even when set to loud. My T-Mobile phone edition I always heard. I have also had to do a soft reset for it to find the phone signal--turning the phone on and off does not do the trick.

It sounds like I'm complaining--but in reality I love it. I can't wait for the bugs to get out--such as voice command not always hearing me-try again-or ignoring me. Oh well.

mesposito2
08-29-2004, 06:38 AM
... I also have a hard time hearing it even when set to loud. My T-Mobile phone edition I always heard.

Try the "Old Ringer" or "Old Phone" ring sound - it has the loudest ring sound.

Dolphin
08-29-2004, 06:41 AM
Old Ringer... that's what I use... everyone does a double take!

kcwester
08-29-2004, 04:37 PM
That is the one I'm using. :)

jcsickz
08-29-2004, 04:54 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/toddsmith/snap0038.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/toddsmith/snap0023.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/toddsmith/snap0021.jpg

much better than I was expecting, thanks.

Kati Compton
08-30-2004, 04:14 AM
I've noticed that a lot of camera phones have a little discoloration at the edges - that one doesn't seem too bad, but the right hand side I can still see a reddish tint.

Still, certainly better than not having a camera if you need one.

Dolphin
08-30-2004, 04:41 AM
Still, certainly better than not having a camera if you need one.

I agree but...

I think they probably look better here than they to on this end. I'm pretty disappointed. But then, I never had a vga quality camera before either.

There are a lot of things I like about this unit. But after using my 1940 the other day, I have decided to return the all in one and either get a bluetooth phone to use with my 1940 or maybe wait for the 3415 with the megapixel cam. The 1945 makes the 6315 feel like a brick. I know it doesn't do what the all in one does but... The MPX might do the trick for me. I like the idea of the camera but the pictures are very disappointing.

BTW... checking email & surfing the web was cool but very slow.

gmusser
08-31-2004, 04:09 PM
Hi, has anyone managed to get the Targus Universal Keyboard to work with the 6315? I get the "another process is using the infrared port" error even though the receive-beams box is unchecked.

George

kgb
08-31-2004, 09:42 PM
Well my dream ended yesterday when I had to return my unit because it would continually drift into standby and only a soft reset would allow it to recover. During the standby time the phone was inoperable and all calls were directed to voicemail. After discussions with HP and TMobile along with numerous Hard Resets and countless hours of tinkering with settings, I returned it to Comp USA.

I was originally told they had a replacement unit, but when I arrived at the store there were none. The manager told me that "due to numerous returns for this same problem, they have temporarily suspended shipments of additional units until the problem is corrected." I don't know how accurate this is, but he said they had 4 returns already.

Am I the only one? Are there other faulty units out there? I've only seen one other reference to this issue. :(

Jon Westfall
08-31-2004, 10:54 PM
Well my dream ended yesterday when I had to return my unit because it would continually drift into standby and only a soft reset would allow it to recover. During the standby time the phone was inoperable and all calls were directed to voicemail. After discussions with HP and TMobile along with numerous Hard Resets and countless hours of tinkering with settings, I returned it to Comp USA.

I was originally told they had a replacement unit, but when I arrived at the store there were none. The manager told me that "due to numerous returns for this same problem, they have temporarily suspended shipments of additional units until the problem is corrected." I don't know how accurate this is, but he said they had 4 returns already.

Am I the only one? Are there other faulty units out there? I've only seen one other reference to this issue. :(

Returned mine to T-Mobile today because of this. The strangest thing happened as well - my touchscreen completely died. Anyway, no one else on here seems to report it, so maybe there is hope for mine being OK. Maybe I'll post a poll and see if anyone else is having this problem.

kgb
09-01-2004, 04:49 AM
Well unfortunately, I think I have answered my own question! I am on my second unit and it is demonstrating the same problems as the original. This unit is direct from T-Mobile and they had not heard of any previous problems of this kind.

The unit will not recover from standby and all calls go to voicemail in this condition. This is a serious problem! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Dolphin
09-01-2004, 04:56 AM
Well unfortunately, I think I have answered my own question! I am on my second unit and it is demonstrating the same problems as the original. This unit is direct from T-Mobile and they had not heard of any previous problems of this kind.

The unit will not recover from standby and all calls go to voicemail in this condition. This is a serious problem! :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm taking mine back too, but that's not the reason why. Mine worked fine with respect to your problem. Sounds like a setting on the unit or maybe a bad batch. There are a lot of things to like on this PPC! Good luck!

Jeff Rutledge
09-01-2004, 05:27 AM
I'm taking mine back too, but that's not the reason why.

Care to share what was wrong with your unit?

Dolphin
09-01-2004, 02:42 PM
Too many soft resets, voice memo worked fine at first but then recorded unintelligible static, inconsistent performance with Jabra Freespeak 250 bluetooth headset, and I would like a better camera w/flash if possible.

I didn't think that processor speed would be an issue but it is even slower than my iPaq 1945. Perhaps I need to empty out my over 200 voice memos as that was where the main problem was for me. I use that tool heavily every day and have my memos sorted by date and that seemed to really slow down the hole voice memo process.

There are a lot of things I like about this unit... battery life is amazing! For now, I will probably use my 1945 and a bluetooth phone. Depending on how the 3415 or 3715 turnout, I might use one of them. I tried a Palm Zire 72 which has the megapixal cam that takes videos out of the box. Its size was almost on par with the 1945. But, the videos audio seemed to be out of sync (need of faster SD card?) and I think I would prefer the PPC with the larger screen... each platform has it's strong and weak points.

I hope the MPX will work for me... I really want an all in one that will take pics and videos.

The PocketTV Team
10-07-2004, 08:29 AM
Wait....can Windows Media Player play MPEG clips? I thought it couldn't. Is that new to the 6315?
No, Windows Media Player cannot play MPEG, but PocketTV Enterprise Edition, which can, is bundled in the ROM of the 6315.

This "Commercial" version of PocketTV, normally sold for $50, has better performances than the free version (PocketTV Classic). So it's not a bad deal. And upgrades / new versions of PocketTV Enterprise Edition (with bug fixes and new features) are also free if you have the 6315.