View Full Version : PocketInformant - Calendar on the Today screen?

Phillip Dyson
08-20-2004, 03:37 PM
I'm trying to get my PI Calendar to show on the today screen instead of the regular Calendar items.

I assumed that this would happen automatically, but yesterday I added an appointment in PI for today and its not showing up on the Today screen. Is there a setting that I can change?

I'm running WM2003
PocketInformant 5.2.0
Pocket Plus 2.1

thanks

drowe
08-20-2004, 04:00 PM
It works on my 4155. I do remember a setting to check to make the hard buttons open PI instead of the default apps. And I think there was a check box to do the same for the today screen. I don't have my docs here, but check out the PI forum I think that is where I found the info. Sorry I can't tell you exactly where it is.

JimPAQ
08-20-2004, 04:53 PM
You might want to check your Today screen settings. I don't use PI personally, but I think it uses a different database then the built in Outlook. So, you probably need to go to settings | today and look on the items tab to see if it's being displayed. Also, you can change your hard buttons by going to settings | buttons.

--Jim

Phillip Dyson
08-20-2004, 06:44 PM
Thanks guys.

I looked in the Today Settins and there is no mention of PI.

I went to the website and apparently they are referring people to 3rd party plug-in apps.

PI Today and PocketBreeze.

Unfortunately, I just bought PocketPlus and don't know if any of these apps would conflict with each other. Does anyone know?

I guess I was hoping that I could get atleast basic display for free.

I've already re-mapped the hardware buttons.

bdavidson9554
08-20-2004, 07:59 PM
If I understand your original post, you used PI to create a regular appointment for today, but it is not showing up in the Today screen using the default Microsoft Calendar plugin.

This should not be the case. You should not need to buy a separate plugin. PI stores appointments, tasks, etc. in the same databases as the built-in calendar.

The only thing I can think is that maybe your Calendar plugin is only showing the next appointment, instead of upcoming appointments, and there is an earlier appointment currently ahead of the one you created in PI.

Can you verify the options for the Calendar in the Today settings?

Also, if you open the regular MS calendar, can you see the appointment there? You should be able to if it was created correctly.

CEGiven
08-20-2004, 09:20 PM
I'm in the same boat as sojourner753: I have PI 5.2 and SPB Plus (latest version, can't remember the #), but the number of appointments doesn't seem to be controllable in either program or under Today Settings. There's enough room on the screen for a couple of more entries, but no show. Sometimes an entry for tomorrow will be shown today, but sometimes not. I wish there was a way to set something to show the next X days of appointments. I looked through the PI manual and could find nothing.

endoscient
08-20-2004, 09:25 PM
I use PI 5.2, Spb Pocket Plus, and Pocket Breeze on my Dell Axim X30 and it works wonderfully. somehow i have just enuff screen space..

bdavidson9554
08-20-2004, 09:31 PM
I'm in the same boat as sojourner753: I have PI 5.2 and SPB Plus (latest version, can't remember the #), but the number of appointments doesn't seem to be controllable in either program or under Today Settings. There's enough room on the screen for a couple of more entries, but no show. Sometimes an entry for tomorrow will be shown today, but sometimes not. I wish there was a way to set something to show the next X days of appointments. I looked through the PI manual and could find nothing.

PI does not come with a Today plug-in nor does it change the behavior of the built-in calendar plug-in. You can purchase PI-friendly plugins like PIToday or PocketBreeze, which allow you to see PI icons, categories, colors, etc, on your today screen. If you just want to control the number of appointments/days displayed on the today screen, check out the free tAgenda http://www001.upp.so-net.ne.jp/kohgo/index_en.html.

Sully
08-20-2004, 09:54 PM
I use PocketBreeze with both PI and PocketPlus with absolutley no probles. PocketBreeze allows you to customize how much room it uses on your today screen and has scroll bars with in the plug-in to see all your data. Check it out, it has a free unlimited trial version available at handango.

CEGiven
08-20-2004, 10:05 PM
I'm testing the trial version from Handango. It's a bit unstable: when trying to change the calendar to display just the next 2 days, my iPAQ 4155 froze up and had to be reset. Then later, when I was looking at the fly-out calendar on the Today Screen it froze up again. Also, when changing the categories filter from ALL, the calendar section didn't resize (should have shrunk so I didn't have to scroll as much). :(

amitregev
08-20-2004, 11:23 PM
Hi CEGiven :)

Can you tell me if you have these problems with PocketBreeze?

It really sounds something is not playing ok on your device with PB (in case you are trialing PB and I'm not making a fool out of my self :) - sorry, I have a feever so I can't think too clear today :( ).

What other software do you use on your Today screen? maybe other software on your device that run all the time?

This is really a wiered problem because I never got a report about it among our users 8O

mrkablooey
08-20-2004, 11:25 PM
I'm testing the trial version from Handango. It's a bit unstable: when trying to change the calendar to display just the next 2 days, my iPAQ 4155 froze up and had to be reset. Then later, when I was looking at the fly-out calendar on the Today Screen it froze up again. Also, when changing the categories filter from ALL, the calendar section didn't resize (should have shrunk so I didn't have to scroll as much). :(

weird. i've had nothing but stability and great things to say about pocketbreeze. might try their forums at www.sbsh.net/forums.... if only everybody had the same support they do!

Phillip Dyson
08-21-2004, 06:56 PM
If I understand your original post, you used PI to create a regular appointment for today, but it is not showing up in the Today screen using the default Microsoft Calendar plugin.

This should not be the case. You should not need to buy a separate plugin. PI stores appointments, tasks, etc. in the same databases as the built-in calendar.

The only thing I can think is that maybe your Calendar plugin is only showing the next appointment, instead of upcoming appointments, and there is an earlier appointment currently ahead of the one you created in PI.

Can you verify the options for the Calendar in the Today settings?

Also, if you open the regular MS calendar, can you see the appointment there? You should be able to if it was created correctly.

Thanks bdavidson9554

I thought that they used the same database. The missing appt was one for yesterday, but the today plugin was displaying appts for the next day (Tuesday).

When I openned the standard calendar it also was not there. But it was in PI. I created another appt just to see what happened and it showed up everywhere fine. Something must have gotten screwed up with the particular appt. Hopefully it wont happen too often.
I'd had to miss something important just because it wasn't on my today screen.

CEGiven
08-22-2004, 04:06 AM
Hi CEGiven :)

Can you tell me if you have these problems with PocketBreeze?

It really sounds something is not playing ok on your device with PB (in case you are trialing PB and I'm not making a fool out of my self :) - sorry, I have a feever so I can't think too clear today :( ).

What other software do you use on your Today screen? maybe other software on your device that run all the time?

This is really a wiered problem because I never got a report about it among our users 8O

Yes, it was when working with PB that it froze up. The only Today plug-in that I'm using is SPB PocketPlus.

Sully
08-22-2004, 09:34 PM
I'm using PB with PocketPlus also and having no problems.

Darius Wey
08-23-2004, 07:02 AM
I've got Pocket Informant 5.2.1, and Calendar+ (http://www.mohairsofa.com) as well as Spb Pocket Plus running and I seem to have no problems.

CEGiven
08-23-2004, 02:27 PM
I've been playing with PB over the weekend -- casual investigation, not a thorough testing. I've NOT had any more freezes since those at the initial install. :) So far I'm impressed with the functionality :D, although I need to go through the manual to undestand some of the settings (necessarily terse to fit the display). It was thoughtful of the author to supply both PDF and RepliGo versions. Hopefully, I'll find a faster way to get to PI's calendar, since I haven't found a one-tap method from the PB toolbar. It may be a configuration setting somewhere. It's looking like PB is going on my "buy" list.

EDIT: PB settings seems to be where most of the "freezes" are happening. :( I went to the settings for Tasks and made some changes. I clicked the green check-mark icon, but PBSettings doesn't close (and the icon sticks in the "down" state). I was able to get out of the freeze by clicking Start, navigating to Settings/System/Memory/Running Programs and killing PBSettings. It returned a "not responding" error where I could "End Task." Ironically, the settings do save, so I can get work done.