View Full Version : iPAQ 6315, 4700 Availability Updates

Janak Parekh
08-20-2004, 02:00 AM
We're getting some interesting data as to when some of the new iPAQs will be available. <li> The iPAQ h6315 seems to be entering the supply channel; this <a href="http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=436241&perpage=15&pagenumber=2">HowardForums thread</a> suggests that the retailers are already getting the units -- in fact, one vendor took a picture of the retail box -- but are not yet allowed to sell them.<br /><li> On the more unfortunate side, the iPAQ hx4700's availability remans unclear. <a href="http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpdirect/shopping/scripts/product_detail/product_detail_view.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1478848863.1092954506@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccgadcmfmedgmecfngcfkmdfondfgg.0&landing=null&category=handhelds&subcat1=classic_performance&product_code=FA304A%23ABA&catLevel=3">HPShopping's link</a> now says "Coming This Fall", which could mean anything from a few weeks to December. :|

OSUKid7
08-20-2004, 02:10 AM
On the more unfortunate side, the iPAQ hx4700's availability remans unclear. HPShopping's link (http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpdirect/shopping/scripts/product_detail/product_detail_view.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1478848863.1092954506@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccgadcmfmedgmecfngcfkmdfondfgg.0&landing=null&category=handhelds&subcat1=classic_performance&product_code=FA304A%23ABA&catLevel=3) now says "Coming This Fall", which could mean anything from a few weeks to December. :|:( I thought I heard August 26th from someone? Did they change that, or was I dreaming? :? :lol:

mistame
08-20-2004, 02:19 AM
On the more unfortunate side, the iPAQ hx4700's availability remans unclear. HPShopping's link (http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpdirect/shopping/scripts/product_detail/product_detail_view.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1478848863.1092954506@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccgadcmfmedgmecfngcfkmdfondfgg.0&landing=null&category=handhelds&subcat1=classic_performance&product_code=FA304A%23ABA&catLevel=3) now says "Coming This Fall", which could mean anything from a few weeks to December. :|:( I thought I heard August 26th from someone? Did they change that, or was I dreaming? :? :lol:

It was originally Aug. 26th from HP and eCost.com said Aug.18th. Now eCost is saying Oct. 4th :?

rmcadams
08-20-2004, 02:50 AM
Do you think they'll be in T-Mobile stores on the 26th?

jnajera
08-20-2004, 03:14 AM
People are already buying them in Comp USA stores. :mrgreen:

OSUKid7
08-20-2004, 03:16 AM
People are already buying them in Comp USA stores. :mrgreen:What? They're actually in stock for sale?

Janak Parekh
08-20-2004, 03:32 AM
What? They're actually in stock for sale?
As the thread I linked to indicated, stores are already getting them (the iPAQ 6315) in stock. It's possible a scattering of stores are incorrectly selling them now. If you're referring to the hx4700, I bet not.

--janak

DaleReeck
08-20-2004, 04:17 AM
What? They're actually in stock for sale?
As the thread I linked to indicated, stores are already getting them (the iPAQ 6315) in stock. It's possible a scattering of stores are incorrectly selling them now. If you're referring to the hx4700, I bet not.

--janak

"Selling them incorrectly" *sigh* Good job HP and T-Mobile. Instead of selling when they are out and making money for both your companies as soon as possible, let them sit on shelves in order to stick to some arbitrary release date :roll:

As long as I live, I will never understand the reasoning that large corporations come up with sometimes.

jnajera
08-20-2004, 04:25 AM
http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=108997
I was reffering to the 6315.

Janak Parekh
08-20-2004, 04:39 AM
"Selling them incorrectly" *sigh* Good job HP and T-Mobile. Instead of selling when they are out and making money for both your companies as soon as possible, let them sit on shelves in order to stick to some arbitrary release date :roll: As long as I live, I will never understand the reasoning that large corporations come up with sometimes.
First off, I didn't mean this from a moral standpoint or anything.

Second off, it's in the interest of the vendor to provide a consistent purchasing experience across their entire domain. By setting a fixed release date, they ensure that (in theory):

1. The units are in stores everywhere
2. That people know how to sell them
3. That the support folks are brought up to speed
etc.

It makes perfect sense. Productizing, producing, releasing to market, and supporting is a very complicated setup. To allow premature releases might excite the early adopter, but we're a small group, and the rest of the consumers that accidentally get the device in their hands are potentially subject to a subpar experience, which may reflect negatively on the carrier. (Whether or not T-Mobile does a credible job after the release date is another issue entirely.)

As for making the early adopters happy, there's really three strategies:

1. Don't bother, as they're a small group;
2. Form a subset group of potential early adopters and let them play with the device until it's ready in stores.
3. Allow pre-orders and try and fulfill them earlier.

I'd bet that #2 happens, but it's in the vendor's interest to keep the group manageably-sized. There are people already carrying around development Motorola MPx units, for example, and I'm sure they've contributed feedback to Motorola.

As for the third option, it can potentially be a logistical nightmare. Even though early adopters are generally more tech-savvy than the rest of the end-users, there's still potential support headaches, expectations of support being honored, etc. #3 rapidly devolves into an end-user situation (despite being more technically savvy), and frequently vendors don't do it, opting for #2 instead.

I haven't dealt with hardware directly myself, but I have been involved in software production and deployment on specialized hardware, and it's much, much more involved than you might think at first glance.

--janak

van_mierlo
08-20-2004, 10:09 AM

It was originally Aug. 26th from HP and eCost.com said Aug.18th. Now eCost is saying Oct. 4th :?

actually ecost told me september 4....hmmmm

tccox
08-20-2004, 12:51 PM
Just checked the HP Shopping EPP (Employee Purchase Program) site. Just says 6315 is out of stock but to check back soon. Pretty good price too, if you're interested in one you might want to check to see if your company is part of the program

Interesting seeing the others changes ion the site. Now HPs PPCs are either Digital Entertainment IPAQs or Classic Performance IPAQs. And my beloved 2215 is no more........

Cypher
08-20-2004, 01:55 PM
I was in CompUSA yesterday looking at the 6315 which was on display and noted a number of boxes apparently available for purchase immediately. Did some overzealous employee goof? Can they actually not sell them until later this month?

The counter employee (who of course knows everything :) I have some doubts on that because he was also saying that the hx4700 was the first PPC with rotation on-the-fly. Then I showed him my Toshiba e805 with WM2003SE running on it.) said that the hx4700 will be available in the last week of this month. His contention was that they're already in the supply chain, but some company warehouses don't ship until the end of the month, making early next month a self-fulfilled prophecy. I hope that's true.

ctitanic
08-20-2004, 02:39 PM

actually ecost told me september 4....hmmmm

well, I just called them (9:36 am ET, 08/20/04) and they said that ETA is Oct. 4th

There are rummors that CompUSA will have it in september. Ihave my money ready so who ever have them first will have my money. ;)

Birdman
08-20-2004, 02:51 PM
Have there been any reports of unlocked versions showing up in retail channels or are they being sold under contract to a particular carrier?

Paul P
08-20-2004, 03:54 PM
I just got 6315 at Compusa in ny, 37th and 5th. They had 4 more boxes on display. The rep told me that T-mobile will have a 149 rebate with activation. He wasn't too sure though. I will hold off on opening the box until I can be certain about the rebate. Man, that's going to be hard. I paid 650 with taxes. 8O

surfer
08-20-2004, 04:06 PM
Could i buy a 6315 in compusa for 650 dollar without activation and then use it in Sweden?

Paul P
08-20-2004, 04:11 PM
Could i buy a 6315 in compusa for 650 dollar without activation and then use it in Sweden?

I bought mine without activation, so as long as you have T-mobile service in your area I don't see why not.

surfer
08-20-2004, 04:40 PM

I bought mine without activation, so as long as you have T-mobile service in your area I don't see why not.

What if i don't have it?

Paul P
08-20-2004, 04:56 PM

What if i don't have it?

Unless there is a way to unlock it, you won't be able to use it with any carrier other than T-mobile.

robcorn
08-20-2004, 08:12 PM
I picked my h6315 up last night at 8pm at CompUSA in Lewisville, TX. They had 8 in stock and sold it to me for $499.99.

I have already got "My Email Triggers" working fine for my 3 email accounts, they're pulling the email down without any intervention. I also got Wi-Fi working with my Linksys WRT-54g router and it works fine as well.

This is one nice machine, although I will admit I will miss some of my Treo 600's functions, like SMS chat history and rocker button controls.

ctitanic
08-20-2004, 08:26 PM
I would like to see some benchmarks on the speed.

DaleReeck
08-20-2004, 08:32 PM
I picked one up too and so far I like it. Peronally, I never took much stock in benchmarks. The only test that matters is how fast it feels. It is a bit slower than a typical 400MHZ machine, but not overly slow. If you are a heavy gamer who likes action games, the 6300 is probably not for you. But if you are like me, a moderate gamer who likes "thinking men's games" like Scrabble or Yachtzee, that sort of thing, then the 6300 is more than adequate speedwise.

DaleReeck
08-20-2004, 08:34 PM

What if i don't have it?

Unless there is a way to unlock it, you won't be able to use it with any carrier other than T-mobile.

Yep. There's quite a bit of T-Mobile specific customization. Even the leather case is stamped "T-Mobile".

rjtrede
08-20-2004, 11:20 PM
Tmobile tells me I will be able to purchase the iPaq h6315 next week... Sometime between Monday the 23rd and Thur the 26th...

I am also told I can have the phone unlocked after 90 days of service... Which seems silly to me as I'm signing a YEAR contract.

I'm traveling to Hong Kong in late Oct. and want to be able to throw in a local pre-paid sim card.

Does anyone know where I can obtain the unlock code and instructions NOW? I've checked many Web 'Unlock' sites, but no one seems to have the information.

Thanks guys!