View Full Version : My iPAQ Saved the Day!

piperpilot
08-19-2004, 06:41 PM
A couple of weeks ago, both my husband and I were under intense deadlines for separate projects. He had a project due for his C++ class and I had a publication deadline for a legal journal article that I have been writing for the past six months. Both of us needed to use the computer. The only problem was that we had only one PC to use. Rather than fight about whose project was more important, I decided to use PocketWord to work on my article. With my stowaway keyboard and my portable speakers hooked up to my iPAQ 5455, I was able to work on my paper and enjoy some good tunes at the same time. I was so impressed with my iPAQ solution that I took a picture (see below) of what I have come to refer to as my "command center." I even set up the command center on my lap and worked on my article at the car dealership while I waited for my car to be serviced. My only limitation was that I couldn't use PocketWord to do the many footnotes required of scholarly journal articles.

I already knew the value of my iPAQ to do so many things, but this was the first time it actually lent itself to maintaining domestic bliss :wink:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/assets/common/FileObject/jpg.gif PICT0025.JPG (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/media/users/8094/PICT0025.JPG) (Size: 1,955.1 KB)

wocket
08-19-2004, 07:37 PM
That setup is very 8)

I have been using my pocket pc for all my research notes with a Tosh E800 and a pockettop keyboard even without the external keyboard it's fantastic.

And as the pocket pc is in my pocket most of the day and when I get inspired I can whip it out and do more notes anytime anywhere mostly where coffee is involved.

Even better I use Textmaker which does everything I could possibly want in a wordprocessor.

ADB Idea Library is used for organising my thoughts and taking quick notes, web links etc as and when I need to.

I used to carry my notebook around but now I don't honestly see the need anymore.

And who would of thought about the other features of the pocket pc. The abilitly to maintain relationships and bring families closer together!

Maybe they should put it on the box :)

felixdd
08-19-2004, 07:46 PM
And that can of soda just ties everything together doesn't it? ;)

piperpilot
08-19-2004, 08:09 PM
And that can of soda just ties everything together doesn't it? ;)

There's nothing better than an ice cold Sierra Mist. In fact I am enjoying one right now in my office. No command center though. :cry:

Janak Parekh
08-19-2004, 08:15 PM
My only limitation was that I couldn't use PocketWord to do the many footnotes required of scholarly journal articles.
Maybe it's time to get a copy of TextMaker. :D Nice job nevertheless.

--janak

piperpilot
08-19-2004, 08:20 PM
I used to carry my notebook around but now I don't honestly see the need anymore.

I agree. Whenever I go to staff meetings at work, I don't even take a pad of paper with me. I have my iPAQ and use it to jot down notes, check my calendar for future meeting availability and read news articles downloaded from AvantGo or play games (under the table, of course) during the boring parts.

Ripper014
08-19-2004, 08:22 PM
I agree... it is time to get Textmaker... well actually you should have bought it a year ago... the had a 11/11 sale for $11... to celebrate their local holiday... I am hoping they do the same thing this year for Planmaker...

piperpilot
08-19-2004, 08:31 PM
I agree... it is time to get Textmaker... well actually you should have bought it a year ago... the had a 11/11 sale for $11... to celebrate their local holiday... I am hoping they do the same thing this year for Planmaker...

So does Textmaker do footnotes? I will be totally kicking myself if it does.

Duncan
08-19-2004, 08:47 PM

Kick yourself - there's precious little it doesn't do...!

Pat Logsdon
08-19-2004, 08:55 PM
Yes, it certainly does. :D

maximus
08-20-2004, 02:24 AM
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/assets/common/FileObject/jpg.gif PICT0025.JPG (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/media/users/8094/PICT0025.JPG) (Size: 1,955.1 KB)

Just curious, how did you put the image on PPCT server ?

Kati Compton
08-20-2004, 02:44 AM

Just curious, how did you put the image on PPCT server ?
Subscribers get a media folder they can use for that sort of thing.

maximus
08-20-2004, 07:18 AM
Where can I get more info on that ?
I dont know that I have a space on the server.

Wiggster
08-20-2004, 07:36 AM
Where can I get more info on that ?
I dont know that I have a space on the server.

You're a subscriber?

mrkablooey
08-20-2004, 11:06 AM
Subscribers get space.... right now while posting I have a link on the left that says "Add/remove files" to my "media folder".

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/assets/common/MediaUploader/folder.gif

wocket
08-20-2004, 02:19 PM
Lite subscribers don't get the space.

piperpilot
08-20-2004, 02:21 PM
Lite subscribers don't get the space.

That's right. I think, as a Lifetime Subscriber, I get 5MB or something like that. Same deal on the other Thoughts sites.

Janak Parekh
08-20-2004, 05:22 PM
That's right. I think, as a Lifetime Subscriber, I get 5MB or something like that. Same deal on the other Thoughts sites.
10MB to be precise. :) Nifty UI too, I think.

--janak

DarrenS
08-20-2004, 06:45 PM
10MB to be precise.

Even though you get 10MB, no need for 1 photo to be 2MB at 2592 x 1944 resolution. It took way too long to download with a 3MB/s DSL connection, I can't imagine how long it would take for someone dialed in!!!!

Now, had it been a nice new pic of a 4705... :-)

piperpilot
08-20-2004, 06:49 PM
Even though you get 10MB, no need for 1 photo to be 2MB at 2592 x 1944 resolution. It took way too long to download with a 3MB/s DSL connection, I can't imagine how long it would take for someone dialed in!!!!

You are so right. I didn't even think of that. I should have reformatted the picture before I posted it. So sorry. My bad! :oops:

I'm thinking of getting a 6315, so maybe I will have a new command center to show off soon. I will make sure to show a lower resolution picture.

Kati Compton
08-21-2004, 06:44 PM
You are so right. I didn't even think of that. I should have reformatted the picture before I posted it. So sorry. My bad! :oops:

I'm thinking of getting a 6315, so maybe I will have a new command center to show off soon. I will make sure to show a lower resolution picture.
You could resize and replace the current image if you'd like.