View Full Version : Macromedia on PPCT ?

maximus
08-19-2004, 01:50 AM
Hmm .. I dont want to install macromedia on my office PC.

"Do you want to install Macromedia Flash Player 7?" popped up everytime I opened a page in PPCT ... a bit annoying, having to click 'no' on every pages ...

I thought we have a strict 'no pop up' policy ? :wink:

Wiggster
08-19-2004, 01:56 AM
I thought we have a strict 'no pop up' policy ? :wink:

We also have a strict "Everyone should have Flash (because H*R (http://www.homestarrunner.com) is awesome)" policy :twisted: :lol:

Janak Parekh
08-19-2004, 02:20 AM
See this discussion (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14928). In short, we use it for the subscriber buttons because we more-or-less have to.

--janak

Darius Wey
08-19-2004, 04:11 AM
Hmm .. I dont want to install macromedia on my office PC.

Why wouldn't you want Flash? You can do so much with it! :?: :?: :?:

maximus
08-19-2004, 07:38 AM
Well first of all, this is an office PC, which is subjected to periodic inspection by the IT department. We are not supposed to download, let alone install, anything from 'unsecured' source.

Strangely, there is no more pop up when I posted this message.

Darius Wey
08-19-2004, 11:41 AM
Well first of all, this is an office PC, which is subjected to periodic inspection by the IT department. We are not supposed to download, let alone install, anything from 'unsecured' source.

Strangely, there is no more pop up when I posted this message.

Have a word with your network administrator, and request that all the networked computers be updated with Flash Player 7. Just tell them you are having trouble accessing "work-related" websites, and that you are experiencing frequent errors because Flash is not installed. :wink:

Hopefully you'll con them into installing it. And after all, Flash isn't spyware or some dodgy plugin. It's quite essential, especially for many websites that exist in today's internet community.

Wiggster
08-19-2004, 01:29 PM
Well first of all, this is an office PC, which is subjected to periodic inspection by the IT department.

So they're fine with you surfing PPCT, but not with seeing the subscriber badges? :roll:

maximus
08-20-2004, 02:10 AM
Hmm ... now there is another popup from insightexpress.com asking me to take a survey, which pops up right after I clicked 'no' on the macromedia thing ...

Kati Compton
08-20-2004, 02:42 AM
Hmm ... now there is another popup from insightexpress.com asking me to take a survey, which pops up right after I clicked 'no' on the macromedia thing ...
That's weird... We really shouldn't have pop-up ads. Could it be Macromedia that is generating the pop-up? I'd suggest mailing Jason Dunn if it happens again and it's not Macromedia's site doing it - I know he wouldn't want you to be getting those from any of the advertising here.

dmacburry2003
08-20-2004, 08:43 PM
I used to get those Macromedia popups every time i formatted my HD and installed XP anew.

As for popup ads, I've seen not one in all my days at PPCT (sounding like Bilbo Baggins :lol: ).

But then again, I have SP2, Google Toolbar, MSN Toolbar, a popup stopper, etc. Thats 4 combined popup stoppers 8O

SP2 seems to have the popup thing covered the best, as well as the activex and such. Make the switch TODAY :twisted:

maximus
08-23-2004, 01:37 AM
hmm. got the popup from insightexpress.com again, right after clicking 'no' on macromedia.

Would you be willing to share your opinions in a brief survey from our sponsor, and are you 18 years of age or older?

yes/no

Respondent Privacy Statement

and after clicking 'yes' :

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinions. We appreciate it.

In what range does your age fall? (Select one)
Less than 13 years of age
13 to 15
16 to 18
19 to 24
25 to 34
35 to 44
45 to 54
55 or older

dmacburry2003
08-23-2004, 01:48 AM
Possibly adware if its asking for input?

If you are using XP/IE, I think you should:

-install XP SP2
-reboot
-open IE
-go to Tools
-Select 'Manage Add-ons...'
-delete any suspicious ActiveX controls

OR you should run a spyware cleaner or something of that sort.
If PPCT says that it doesn't have popups, it doesnt have popups.

Check it out 0X

Janak Parekh
08-23-2004, 04:28 AM
hmm. got the popup from insightexpress.com again, right after clicking 'no' on macromedia.
Are you sure you don't have any third-party software/spyware that's triggering that? I've never seen it. Not once.

--janak

maximus
08-23-2004, 07:05 AM
Nada. This laptop is as clean as a newlyborn baby. Only office related applications are installed. Nothing else. Not even flash is installed =)

Wiggster
08-23-2004, 07:08 AM
Nada. This laptop is as clean as a newlyborn baby. Only office related applications are installed. Nothing else. Not even flash is installed =)

So have you run Spybot Search and Destroy or AdAware?