View Full Version : Alternatives to Outlook

ToddJ
08-18-2004, 05:55 PM
Is there anything that I can use as an alternative to Outlook? I loved the simplicity of Palm Desktop, but Outlook has way too many different things wrong with it to be effective. I do use Pocket Informant, but I am not a fan of the program so that might change.....

dean_shan
08-18-2004, 06:24 PM
You can use Thunderbird (http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/).

ToddJ
08-18-2004, 06:30 PM
i am talking about something that has tasks, appointments and that sort of think...not the email...

PetiteFlower
08-18-2004, 08:17 PM
You hear a lot of good things about Pocket Informant around here, I've never tried it myself but my PIM needs are pretty light :)

Ripper014
08-18-2004, 08:20 PM
Are you looking for something for your PPC...???

I like Agenda Fusion and always have... but there is a program that runs on the Today Screen that has gotten popular called PocketBreeze that may suit your needs...

maymaio
08-18-2004, 11:04 PM
PocketBreeze is the best solution if you need a good enhancement for your PIM 8)

Check this post and you'll see what I mean:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30616&highlight=pocketbreeze

ToddJ
08-19-2004, 01:57 PM
no....i am talking about a replacement for Outlook on my desktop....

Sven Johannsen
08-19-2004, 03:16 PM
And you are apparently looking for simplicity. Can't imagine what you think is 'wrong' with Outlook. Finding a different PIM for your desktop shouldn't be hard, but finding one that also has a sync solution to a PPC might be tough. There are a good number of solutions for PIMs that are competitive with Outlook, like Lotus, ACT, etc, but finding one for a more basic PIM...I don't know.

If Palm Desktop is what you are after, I would fire off an e-mail to PumaTech tech support and see if Intellisync can sync Palm Desktop on a PC to the PIM functions on a PPC.

ToddJ
08-19-2004, 03:18 PM
have you ever used Palm Desktop before? it is much better than outlook in my opinion...unless you can get rid of half the stuff that is on Outlook....is there a way to make Outlook more streamlined (for the Tasks, Contacts, and Appointments?)

Janak Parekh
08-19-2004, 04:06 PM
have you ever used Palm Desktop before? it is much better than outlook in my opinion...
Generally, that's because Outlook appears cluttered at first. Once you get used to Outlook's interface, though, there's no going back to Palm Desktop. At least for me -- I find Palm Desktop incredibly restrictive.

Also, which version of Outlook are you using? Newer versions have progressively "cleaned up" the interface.

--janak

PetiteFlower
08-19-2004, 10:53 PM
What about Outlook Express? That's what I use at home and it's more then sufficient for my needs.

Janak Parekh
08-19-2004, 10:57 PM
What about Outlook Express? That's what I use at home and it's more then sufficient for my needs.
Won't handle tasks or appointments.

--janak

PetiteFlower
08-19-2004, 11:28 PM
Ah right I keep my calender on my PPC so I don't need it on my desktop, and I never use tasks. Guess it's a little TOO simple for some people!

tommy
08-20-2004, 01:55 AM
I really miss Sidekick from Starfish software. It used to be one of my favorite apps. Simple and effective.

msafi
08-21-2004, 08:41 AM
three words... ms owns u

tanalasta
08-21-2004, 03:04 PM
The older versions of Outlook may have been a bit buggy and not so pretty.

But I changed from OE to Outlook 2003 (part of Office 2003 pro) and haven't looked back.

It's very very very well designed.

Darius Wey
08-22-2004, 04:46 AM
To be honest, I'm actually quite impressed with the way Microsoft cleaned up and spiffed up Outlook in their Office 2003 series. I made the move from Outlook 2002 (XP) to 2003, and I must say that I'm very impressed with it. While it includes a vast array of features for you to mess around with, it caters for those who want a nice simple interface as well.