View Full Version : Ultra-portable PC's vs. the Pocket PC

Zero101
08-17-2004, 01:26 PM
With Ultra-portable PC's (http://www.handtops.com/) like the U50 available, and more on the horizon like the OQO, the Flipstart, Tiqit, etc... how many of you are preparing to ditch your PDA?

I have been giving this some thought lately, and I think I will stick with my pocket pc... but I am curious how many others are about ready to jump ship in favor of something more powerful?

Kati Compton
08-17-2004, 03:19 PM
Flipstart comes closest, but I need instant-on. Actually, reports about slower "on" time for WM2003SE have me a little concerned.

dean_shan
08-17-2004, 04:21 PM
Ultra-Portables and PPC have two different purposes. I don't really think it's a Product A vs. Product B market.

Sven Johannsen
08-17-2004, 05:37 PM
Ultra-Portables and PPC have two different purposes. I don't really think it's a Product A vs. Product B market.

True, but when you stick a product in between two options, PPC vs Laptop, you can drag folks in from both sides. There are surely PPC users that desperately need the portability, but miss the full-sized software features, and laptop users that have to have the software but would really like the portability of a smaller device. I think what is going to limit the acceptance of the ultra-portable PCs is the price. For the average consumer, the difference between this $350 PPC and that $2000 Ultra-Portable is going to be lost. In fact the difference between that $1000 laptop and the $2000 ultra-portable is going to require some real thought.

I think if the accessories are convenient enough that the ultra-portable can be either your only machine, or replace both your laptop and PPC, then it would become more economically attractive... to me anyway.

Kati Compton
08-17-2004, 05:54 PM
For the average consumer, the difference between this $350 PPC and that $2000 Ultra-Portable is going to be lost. In fact the difference between that $1000 laptop and the $2000 ultra-portable is going to require some real thought.
Yeah - from the laptop side, it'll be a subset of the people with "current" ultraportables (small Sonys, Fujitsus, CD-less Dell Lattitude series, IBM X series, etc).

From the PDA side, I think it'll primarily be a subset of the high-end unit owners, not the people demanding small 19xx or 41xx sizes. But I think there you might see more crossover.

I think it'll be infrequent that someone that normally carries a 9lb desktop replacement laptop will pony up the money and deal with the (minor to some) inconveniences of these units.

I don't think many desktop-only people will be replacing with this... I think most making a first foray into mobile computing want something cheaper. And these units are more expensive than most desktops, Alienware aside.

I'm not saying there isn't a market - there is. But I'm just not sure how big it is. We shall see!

Janak Parekh
08-17-2004, 06:13 PM
Actually, reports about slower "on" time for WM2003SE have me a little concerned.
Soft-resetting is much slower, not turn-on time.

--janak

surur
08-17-2004, 06:14 PM
Of course the main advantages of ultra-portables are that they run regular software. I think however that this is also its biggest problem. The software will not be optimised for a small physical screen, and the screen will by high-res, making text and on-screen furniture smaller.

I believe a lot of pocketpc software even forget this, and dont optimise software enough for small screens and fingers (not styluses). It will be even worse for e.g the flip-start. Imagine staring at an Excel cell thats only a few millimetres big.

The form-factor is really important, and I think its likely people will just end up with a really small laptop, which will be difficult and unergonomical to use, instead of a device and GUI designed from the beginning for a small form factor.

As many people have said before, the landscape will change completely not with small formfactor laptops, but when some-one makes a mass-market ppc with a hard drive (20GB at least :))

Surur

OneAngryDwarf
08-17-2004, 07:01 PM
ultra portables have their place but for the most part its pointless to most people i imagine. The more mobile something is, the harder it is to work with... I mean more difficult as in not being able to use a full keyboard and such. I think that is the true power of the PocketPC... it has minimalistic programs to make up for that loss of ease. Using an ultra portable eliminates that advantage by using fully functional software which was not designed for use on ultra portables... Given there are some people that probably find these indespensible for whatever it is they do but the average person would rather do less on their handheld and make it easy and then use it in conjunction with a main computer that they can do everything else on

spinedoc
08-17-2004, 07:46 PM
I am a die hard pocket PC user, I still love my 2215. But I just got incredibly tired of not being able to have a fully functional PC on the go. I have a Sony TR which is very very small, yet not quite small enough to take on the road all the time. So I sprung for a U70, this thing is amazing. Once you have one of these for a few days I guarantee most will change their minds and throw away their Pocket PC's. I can run ANY software on this machine, perform any WinXP function, etc etc.

Pair this incredible device with the Pocket PC, that has not really been hardware updated in a long long time, and there is no comparision. I was all excited with the new ppc's coming out, until I really thought about it. VGA? Yes very cool, prob the biggest overdue thing on PPC. Faster processor? Not really, maybe 20% in the higher end cases. Memory? What a joke, 64mb? Even 128? Where are the hard drives?

Now there are some drawbacks to the ultraportable set as well, but once these are solved I see the PocketPC as only a stepping stone to a true ultraportable. The first hurdle is size, yes the Pocket PC's are still much smaller and thinner than the ultraportables. I can fit my U70 in my back pocket, but it fills the entire pocket. As miniturization gets better expect ultraportables to rival the sizes of PocketPC's. Still if you need a laptop replacement you cant beat an ultraportable if you need full WInXP solution. Another hurdle is battery life, this can be partially solved with a larger battery, but once again at the expense of weight. A pocket pc with extended battery will always be smaller and lighter than an ultraportable, but not in the future.

Input is as good if not much better than a Pocket PC, especially if you load up Windows Tablet edition.

Just my thoughts as a once die hard PPC user converted.

Sven Johannsen
08-17-2004, 07:50 PM
Another thing that would have to happen for me to embrace an ultra-portable is some sort of ActiveSync like synchronization between the ultra-portable and the main machine. I would need to be able to sync the Oultook PIM info on the two devices at least, with little effort. I don't believe there is any real good, widespread solution for this today. (Could be wrong). Needs to be as effortless as ActiveSync 'usually' is.

I do have Exchange Server running at home and have the laptop configured for offline use, so it is not a big issue for me anymore, but for the average user with just the PC and the laptop/ultra-portable, keeping them in sync, like a PPC, can be a challenge.

Tyrant
08-17-2004, 07:59 PM
At the end of the day, its all very nice that unit, but exactly how much will it cost. New technology, I reckon it will cost alot. For me, until the price drops, I wont be entertaining it.

Zero101
08-17-2004, 10:02 PM
There are certain things I want from a pocketable device... (be it pocket pc or otherwise):

1.) instant on (or at least near instant)

2.) a decent range of software (network utilities, games, media players...)

3.) not be ridiculously priced

The Pocket PC is cheaper, and can already do a majority of tasks that my notebook does, albeit in a somewhat crippled form. And in some cases (pim functions especially) a PPC can even outperform my PC.

An ultra-portable is very tempting, and if they could get the CPU speed up (and price down), I would probably buy one. But as it stands... it's not quite powerful enough to be a notebook replacement, and not quite portable enough (weight, battery issues) to replace a pocket pc. Add the price into the mix and it becomes a no-brainer.

PPC all the way!

:mrgreen:

spinedoc
08-18-2004, 03:54 AM
Actually the U70 is powerful enough to be a laptop replacement any day of the week. It actually has the same exact specs as my TR, 1ghz P4Mobile, 512mb RAM, the same Intel graphics chip, and 20gb hard drive.

It is also almost instant on, with recovery from standby being 2-3 seconds.

It has a "decent" range of software, in fact it will run anything that the same specced full size machine will run in Win XP.

As an earlier point syncing between this and a main PC is not the point of it, the point of it is to get rid of your main PC, dock the U70 as your main PC, then undock it and take it for the ride. This is what many are not understanding, there is no need for sync because there is no more need for a desktop and a portable unit. The ultraportable fits both needs with a docking station.

Besides there are good software solutions to syncing between 2 pc's if that is what you want.

Price, or course, is prohibitive. But if you look at it as a desktop and laptop replacement it more than justifies the cost. A PPC could never replace my desktop, and for many it cannot replace a laptop.

Kati Compton
08-18-2004, 06:40 AM
Actually the U70 is powerful enough to be a laptop replacement any day of the week. It actually has the same exact specs as my TR, 1ghz P4Mobile, 512mb RAM, the same Intel graphics chip, and 20gb hard drive.
Depends on one's needs and wants. For some, they need more laptop than that. Me? I need more *screen* than that. I can't imagine editing an academic paper and making the diagrams on anything less than 1024x768 on a 12" screen, and even that is pushing it. Plus, for all that typing I need an almost-full-size or full-size keyboard.

As an earlier point syncing between this and a main PC is not the point of it, the point of it is to get rid of your main PC, dock the U70 as your main PC, then undock it and take it for the ride. This is what many are not understanding, there is no need for sync because there is no more need for a desktop and a portable unit. The ultraportable fits both needs with a docking station.
Here it's even further from being a replacement. My desktop is a 3.0GHz HT machine with 1.5 gigs of RAM and a 120GB hard drive. The U70 is not.

Price, or course, is prohibitive. But if you look at it as a desktop and laptop replacement it more than justifies the cost. A PPC could never replace my desktop, and for many it cannot replace a laptop.
A PPC won't replace my laptop, it's likely that a U70 wouldn't either, and it certainly couldn't replace my desktop. While for *your* needs it may be a reasonable replacement, it isn't for everyone.

Now, what is the price when you add all the stuff to use it as a desktop replacement?

spinedoc
08-18-2004, 01:10 PM
Depends on one's needs and wants. For some, they need more laptop than that. Me? I need more *screen* than that. I can't imagine editing an academic paper and making the diagrams on anything less than 1024x768 on a 12" screen, and even that is pushing it. Plus, for all that typing I need an almost-full-size or full-size keyboard.

This is of course subjective. I have to type 5-6 very long reports every day and I use my TR for this, it has a 10" screen and a smaller keyboard, I have large hands. But I find it works perfectly for me. Would I do my reports on my U70? Not by itself, but with a docking station certainly. But I think the comparision here was what came closer to replacing a laptop, a PPC or ultraportable, not to compare a UP with a laptop. The beauty of it is that once docked I can use a full size keyboard with a nice 20" LCD screen with full WinXP, try doing that with a PPC!

Here it's even further from being a replacement. My desktop is a 3.0GHz HT machine with 1.5 gigs of RAM and a 120GB hard drive. The U70 is not.

In my opinion if you are doing reports then this is a total waste of a machine. Once again we are comparing PPC versus ultraportable, not ultraportable versus desktop, although it is a valid point since I brought it up. I would put my U70 up against any specced desktop in regards to office applications such as report writing, emailing and web browsing. You certainly cannot say that with a PPC. My setup with the U70 dock consists of a 20" LCD screen and a full size keyboard and mouse, I absolutely cannot tell that I am on an ultraportable.

A PPC won't replace my laptop, it's likely that a U70 wouldn't either, and it certainly couldn't replace my desktop. While for *your* needs it may be a reasonable replacement, it isn't for everyone.

Now, what is the price when you add all the stuff to use it as a desktop replacement?

My TR with the same specs was about $2100. A desktop with the same specs could probably be picked up for $1200 or so. The U70 was $2500 (there is a U50 for $1800). The U70 comes with the dock and every necessary connection, nothing needs to be bought separately.

It all comes down to subjective opinion (doesnt it always!), and what you really want to do. No the U70 is still not a replacement for a heavy input machine like a laptop with a full keyboard, although with the traveling keyboard it comes mighty close. But in the vein of this post, which is comparing a PPC to a ultraportable such as the U70, I still proclaim the ultraportable to be a MUCH better solution than a PPC, even with price figured in. It is a great solution to a desktop AND a Pocket PC, for me the perfect medium has been my U70 at work in the dock, and in my pocket for traveling, and my laptop for traveling when I need to do heavy text input, although this may change if I can find a slightly larger foldable usb keyboard.

Zero101
08-18-2004, 02:27 PM
My TR with the same specs was about $2100. A desktop with the same specs could probably be picked up for $1200 or so. The U70 was $2500 (there is a U50 for $1800). The U70 comes with the dock and every necessary connection, nothing needs to be bought separately.

Not really fair to use a TR as an example though... it is also aimed at the ultra-portable set. There are certainly notebooks with much higher specs at a much much lower price point.... as long as you are willing to lug a 6lb machine around.

jkendrick
08-18-2004, 03:14 PM
How did I miss THIS topic? :) It's important to remember that users need to be task oriented and not device oriented. What I mean by that is the user will be more productive and happier if they use a device that performs the tasks they need to perform (easily) and WHEN they need to perform it.

High-end PocketPCs are great tools and I believe they can fulfill the needs of most any user. They have connectivity for those who need it, great software available to help with those tasks that we all must do, and they are easily carried with you. They are a great boon to those "power users" who want to accomplish as much as possible with a highly mobile device.

Many users don't need that level of capability and are quite happy with their Palms and low-end PPCs and rightly so. Why add on baggage you don't want nor need?

Ultra-portables fit the need of a very precise group of consumer- those that regularly perform tasks that they cannot perform on current mobile devices like the Palms or PPCs and for that reason they are lugging a large laptop or Tablet PC around with them. UPCs liberate them from that need and it's very exhilarating. But this need is still task driven- if you currently don't need to do things that you can't on a WM or Palm device then you don't need a UPC. The price is now and will remain for some time quite prohibitive. After all, these devices are full blown laptops and I don't think the prices will come down any time soon. Just look at the pricing on VGA WM devices which is in large part due to the cost of the bigger, higher resolution screen. UPCs have this in spades as they offer even higher resolution for the most part.

As is always the case when new, high priced technology comes out, if you have a given task that needs the technology then you will pay for it. There is no single device that will ever fit everyone's needs and that is as it should be. It's what makes life interesting, isn't it?

Sven Johannsen
08-18-2004, 03:30 PM

Well that explains why no-one has a desktop and a laptop, because obviously one device can do it all for everyone. These things certainly could be a one-of solution for those that already use a docked laptop as their only PC, but you might be surprised at the number of folks that have a fixed desktop, a laptop for travel, and need that.

Besides there are good software solutions to syncing between 2 pc's if that is what you want. Like? And I mean continous and non-intervention... not export a pst and import. I mean essentially DB replication between two installations of Outlook. (without an Exchange server in the middle.)

jkendrick
08-18-2004, 03:36 PM
You're right, there are no good automatic syncing options on the WinXP side which is sad. But like you also point out, that's why I do have a hosted exchange server in the middle which keeps all my devices up to date no matter what. That's as seamless as you can get.

Janak Parekh
08-18-2004, 04:03 PM
This is of course subjective. I have to type 5-6 very long reports every day and I use my TR for this, it has a 10" screen and a smaller keyboard, I have large hands. But I find it works perfectly for me. Would I do my reports on my U70? Not by itself, but with a docking station certainly.
But that means you have to carry around both the laptop and the U70. :( That largely defeats the purpose for me -- I might as well carry around my Pocket PC Phone and a laptop.

I would put my U70 up against any specced desktop in regards to office applications such as report writing, emailing and web browsing. You certainly cannot say that with a PPC.
Right -- I think Kati and I are probably in a more specialized market, being software developers and the like. ;)

That said - the gadget freak in me would love to get a U70 anyway, but it just doesn't fit my workflow. The reason Pocket PCs or Palms are popular is because they aren't a laptop or a desktop, and can therefore have faster resume (despite sub-one-second resume times on my XP Tablet PC, it still takes many seconds to launch Outlook, etc.), better battery life, smaller formfactor, etc. Besides, the U70 ain't a phone like my i700 is.

In short - to each their own. ;) Me, I'm drooling at the Sony X505 (http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_BrowseCatalog-Start;sid=mHb7zwHgrEz7S0DD9oXxxE7s_dHhD4288Hg=?CategoryName=cpu_VAIONotebookComputers_X505_Series&Dept=cpu_VAIONotebookComputers), which is the smallest possible close-to-full-sized laptop. That'll be my next investment. Many people I know think that's crazy and too limited, but it's a perfect compromise for me. The U70 is a compromise a couple sizes down, and the Pocket PC is a bit further than that.

But in the vein of this post, which is comparing a PPC to a ultraportable such as the U70, I still proclaim the ultraportable to be a MUCH better solution than a PPC, even with price figured in.
Not in my case.

--janak

Kati Compton
08-18-2004, 05:23 PM
This is of course subjective.
My point exactly.

But I think the comparision here was what came closer to replacing a laptop, a PPC or ultraportable, not to compare a UP with a laptop.
I'll agree that an ultraportable is more likely than a PPC for replacing a Laptop. I'm not sure an ultraportable can replace a PPC in all situations, though - there are different needs involved. Later on you go on to talk about how it can replace a desktop, which then I am disagreeing with. At least, in my case.

The beauty of it is that once docked I can use a full size keyboard with a nice 20" LCD screen with full WinXP, try doing that with a PPC!Right - but it's cheaper to do that with a desktop. ;)

In my opinion if you are doing reports then this is a total waste of a machine. Once again we are comparing PPC versus ultraportable, not ultraportable versus desktop, although it is a valid point since I brought it up.
I'm glad you think your points are valid. ;) You were comparing an ultraportable to a desktop - that is what I was discussing.

And no, reports are not all I am doing That is what I do with my laptop. On the desktop, I am doing software development, hardware synthesis, running research data-gathering applications, etc.

A desktop with the same specs could probably be picked up for $1200 or so. The U70 was $2500 (there is a U50 for $1800). The U70 comes with the dock and every necessary connection, nothing needs to be bought separately.Plus keyboard, plus mouse, plus monitor, plus external optical.

Your desktop price is too high. My machine, 3GHz/1.5Gig/120Gig/DVD-RW plus two 19" FP displays was $2500.

I still proclaim the ultraportable to be a MUCH better solution than a PPC, even with price figured in.
...in some situations. Not in all.

Kati Compton
08-18-2004, 05:27 PM
PS - I'm not ANTI ultraportables, despite what my posts may say. I'd love to have a U70 or a Flipstart or OQO or what have you. I especially like the button organization on the U70. But that's a want, not a need, and it just isn't a good "replacement" of anything for *me*, and a lot of other people I know.

The reason I argue so much is that I get miffed at "This is the best solution for everybody" type statements.

spinedoc
08-18-2004, 06:12 PM
I never did say that "this is the best solution for everybody", just as everyone else has been, I was explaining why it is the best solution for me! If you need a higher horsepower computer for specialized purposes then of course you would want a dedicated desktop. But for me my main uses for a computer at work are to take patient notes, insurance reports, documentation, and writing articles for peer reviewed journals. Also checking email and researching online.

Quite often I find myself on the road with a need to research a topic on an online journal, or to have access to a patient file back at the office. I find this kind of excruciating on the pocket PC, although it may be easier with the newer VGA screens. But the U70 has afforded me an incredible amount of power on the road in an incredibly small package. Even if the cost is prohibitive for some, I have no problem at all paying for it. Just to clarify the U70 can be a full text input machine with the included USB keyboard, if that is your desire. I have written reports at the bookstore many times with the U70 so far, and feel while not as nice as my TR, it is quite adequate for a long report. Software development, well I would see this as truly difficult.

So it is not for everyone. I would rather the vein of this thread be about comparing experiences, and thats why I have spoken about my experience. In my *opinion* the pocket pc is only temporary, eventually it will be supplanted by the ultraportable. But that is most probably some time away as miniturization gets better, components get cheaper, and batteries get better.

It is just nice to be able to completely throw out my desktop at work throw out my Pocket PC, and *almost* throw out my laptop and be able to rely on just one very small device 90% of the time.

Janak Parekh
08-18-2004, 07:04 PM
In my *opinion* the pocket pc is only temporary, eventually it will be supplanted by the ultraportable. But that is most probably some time away as miniturization gets better, components get cheaper, and batteries get better.
I think it's entirely possible that a disconnected Pocket PC will be replaced by miniaturized desktops, but not the connected variety. Things like Pocket PC Phones and Smartphones, or their successors, will continue to run on low-power chips and simpler OSes, if for no other reason than the simple fact that desktop OSes and processors are very ill-suited to providing the kind of idling and battery life needed for such applications. And in any case, as you imply lots more work must be done before the vision is fully realized -- not only hardwarewise, but software. I really don't want to peck at Outlook 2003 as it stands while walking down the street to look up a phone number. It'll be interesting to see if Microsoft adapts the XP (or Longhorn) UI for ultraportables.

Anyway - I want one, no doubt. ;) I don't foresee getting one ahead of a new laptop, though.

--janak

Zero101
08-18-2004, 08:03 PM
I would rather the vein of this thread be about comparing experiences, and thats why I have spoken about my experience.

Well.. when I started the thread, I wasn't thinking so much about the U70 as much as some of the future UPC's like the OQO and Flipstart. Maybe because the U70 isn't available in the US yet, I haven't given that particular device much thought. *shrug*

Whatever the case.. I was more interested in seeing if people planned on upgrading from PPC to UPC when they became more widely available. There seem to be a lot of people on this board who try and stretch their PDA to the brink of being a PC as it is already... it would only be logical that some of them would in fact rather have an actual PC instead. I have certainly given the UPC a lot of thought lately, at least.

For me though, I don't think the UPC will cut it. I am a network engineer and spend a lot of time traveling between sites and on the road. I use my PDA a lot for work... since my iPaq has a PCMCIA sleeve, I can work on wired or wireless networks with ease. I have a stowaway keyboard for input and plenty of software tools at my disposal (vxutils, putty, vnc client, termserv, ministumbler, and of course the most important tool of all.... AIM :lol: ).

For jobs that my PDA can't handle, I break out my Sony Vaio V505 notebook. It's not a huge PC (12" screen, 4lbs), but it has a very usable keyboard and a dvdrom. I will use this for specific tools I can't get on my PDA (ethereal, solarwinds, etc). When I use a notebook, it's all about connectivity and input methods.

I would only upgrade to a UPC if it could replace both of the above devices... but I don't think it ever could. It fails as a basic PDA because I don't want to use outlook for pim functions on the go, and I don't trust the battery life. It fails as a notebook because of it's screen size, subpar keyboard (at best), and lack of CD-Rom. So a UPC doesn't make sense for me... especially since I can buy my model notebook and upgrade to a h5550 for the cost of the one UPC.

jkendrick
08-18-2004, 08:25 PM
zero101, it's a good thread and very topical. I view the UPCs as potential laptop replacements, not PDA replacements. The duo of a good PPC and a UPC is a very powerful one with each device having it's own strengths and weaknesses. Some of those users who go the UPC route to replace the laptop may end up replacing both the laptop and PDA, but that will be a very individual choice.

A lot of people have been wondering the same thing as you have and are trying to figure out what their future strategy might be. It will be interesting to see what impact the OQO and FlipStart will have on the mobile device category. One thing I do know, if these devices won't completely replace a laptop then they might very well fail. The pricing on these devices puts them firmly in the laptop category and few can afford a laptop and a UPC too.

I wouldn't be surprised to see MS embrace the UPC when several are out and perhaps come out with an OS that's "between" WM and the Tablet OS.

spinedoc
08-18-2004, 09:21 PM
I must admit (as I have before) that I still use my laptop for days when I have heavy text input, ie: offsite and have to write lots of reports. I don't think the OQO or the flipstart will solve this problem, as both of those keyboards are anemic at best. I like the U70's keyboard, that is none, so you can go out and buy whatever you want.

I have been playing around with some text dictation into a usb microphone on the U70 and am quite surprised and pleased at the results. I can almost write a full report this way, but I don't because I could never get used to speaking out loud like that, felt way too creepy! I am going to experiment with a couple of recognition softwares out there to see if I can get rid of the keyboard once and for all.

I also agree with the lack of functionality of Outlook 2003, takes too long to start or look up something, too many mouse clicks and menus, etc etc.

But there is still no substitute for being out in central park with my U70 and Sprint CF data card and browsing the web, or fully remote accessing my work computer!

Badandy
08-19-2004, 03:21 AM
About voice recognition. Yes, it is getting pretty good. There is a website full of Dragon Naturally speaking users who input a lot of advice on this forum, i forget the site, maybe someone can look for it. They offer lots of suggestions and help people out. You should try DNS.

Janak Parekh
08-19-2004, 03:26 AM
But there is still no substitute for being out in central park with my U70 and Sprint CF data card and browsing the web, or fully remote accessing my work computer!
This is absolutely true. However, how's the visibility in sunlight? Is it a transflective display? That would make a huge difference, as there are very few notebooks with transflective screens (2 at my last count).

--janak

p.s. Why aren't you at Bryant Park using its free WiFi? :razzing:

spinedoc
08-19-2004, 07:26 PM
I believe it is transreflective as it is fully visible in daylight with the backlight turned off.

Will have to check out Bryant park!!

Janak Parekh
08-19-2004, 07:33 PM
I believe it is transreflective as it is fully visible in daylight with the backlight turned off.
Oh, darn it, now I am tempted. There are so many days I'd like to sit outside but I know it'll be useless with the laptop anyway... and the few transflectives that are out there are pretty meagre -- I'd much rather have a powerful one with a reflective screen.

Darn it. Darn you. :mrgreen: :P I think I'll hold off until it hits the US, though... after that, it might be tough.

--janak

p.s. Here's info on Bryant Park's wireless network (http://www.bryantpark.org/amenities/wireless.php).

Zero101
08-20-2004, 02:43 PM
Baltimore's Inner Harbor (http://www.baltimoreunwired.com/) has free wifi... and it's right down the street from where I work. Few things in life are as cool as being at lunch, needing to check an email, and whipping out a wifi enabled PDA from your coat pocket while everyone else at the table laments their lack of technology.

:mrgreen:

Kati Compton
08-20-2004, 02:54 PM
Oh, darn it, now I am tempted. There are so many days I'd like to sit outside but I know it'll be useless with the laptop anyway... and the few transflectives that are out there are pretty meagre -- I'd much rather have a powerful one with a reflective screen.
Now Janak... you know that much of your work involves heavy typing, and if it doesn't, your PPC is sufficient for reading PDFs and such. I thought you wanted to save up for that Sony laptop you've been drooling over? :P

spinedoc
08-20-2004, 03:56 PM
Now Janak... you know that much of your work involves heavy typing, and if it doesn't, your PPC is sufficient for reading PDFs and such. I thought you wanted to save up for that Sony laptop you've been drooling over? :P

I have to agree the more and more I have the device, about text input. With Tablet OS the recognition is superb, but since it is not a native Tablet PC the screen is not married to the stylus tip, it makes it more difficult to use. It was made primarily for Japanese commuters on the subway who want to surf the web while standing up. It is a very cool device, but it is larger than a PPC, if it was the same size as a PPC then it would make a big difference. Since my TR is so tiny, even with extended battery, sometimes I find myself wondering if I shouldn't just carry my TR anyway. It still beats the living hell out of a PPC, except in possibly the most important way, the size.

Janak Parekh
08-20-2004, 05:32 PM
I do. And I want this too. It's a toy -- we're all geeks, and we love toys. Will I ever actually sit outside with it on a regular basis? Probably not. But just the thought that I could sit outside and read my RSS feeds in Newsgator on Outlook... ;) That's the one thing I couldn't do with a laptop -- the screen gets way too dark, even in the shade, on a day that I would want to be outside. Add the fact that we have ubiquitous WiFi around the entire area, and, well...

I'll probably manage to hold off, and the X505 will probably fulfill my toy quotient. I'm just waiting for that to hit the $2,000-ish price range. I've never spent more than $2,100 on a laptop, and I really can't justify spending 3 grand when I have a perfectly satisfactory tablet PC in my bag, heavier though it may be.

Still... :mrgreen: :P

--janak

Kati Compton
08-20-2004, 05:37 PM
But just the thought that I could sit outside and read my RSS feeds in Newsgator on Outlook... ;) That's the one thing I couldn't do with a laptop -- the screen gets way too dark, even in the shade, on a day that I would want to be outside. Add the fact that we have ubiquitous WiFi around the entire area, and, well...
You go... OUTSIDE? In the SUN???

Janak Parekh
08-20-2004, 05:39 PM
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/media/users/281/phd063004s.gif

;)

(That said, you can't avoid the sun in NYC. Not easily.)

--janak