View Full Version : More Toshiba e830 Documentation On FCC's Website

Janak Parekh
08-17-2004, 03:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/cf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=253718&fcc_id='GKRPPCE830W'' target='_blank'>https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/...d='GKRPPCE830W'</a><br /><br /></div>As we mentioned a <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30743">few weeks ago</a>, an FCC page was recently created for the rumored e830 device. More documentation has just been posted, including external photos and a user's manual. Looks like the unit will have a 520MHz processor with Bluetooth (1.1) along with Wi-Fi, as previously rumored, and it looks physically identical to the e800. The datestamps on the newest documentation suggest it was put up early, possibly like our <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=275149">FCC post on the iPAQ 4700</a>.<br /><br />Now, only time will tell if this device makes it to market. Based on my experience with the e805, I sure hope it will! 8)

arnage2
08-17-2004, 03:51 PM
wow. it does look EXACTLY identical to the e805

Kati Compton
08-17-2004, 05:40 PM
Does that look dark grey instead of blue? I hope so - I like the grey better. It goes with everything. ;)

Fishie
08-17-2004, 05:41 PM
Come to papa.

wocket
08-17-2004, 06:05 PM
Looks exactly like the E800. Still bluetooth 1.1!

Also nice to see the insides of the E830.

ricksfiona
08-17-2004, 09:50 PM
Does that look dark grey instead of blue? I hope so - I like the grey better. It goes with everything. ;)

I feel the same way... Unfortunately it's dark blue.

It would be perfect if it had the 624MHz processor.... It will probably be my next Pocket PC.

Falstaff
08-18-2004, 06:02 AM
Does anyone else find it odd that there are front page posts about the A730 and h4700 that both have multiple pages of responses, yet this post about the e830, which has barely been mentioned (while the others have already been extensively covered) has barely half a dozen replies? I personally think this device is the best of the 4 upcoming VGA devices (though it is a close race with the 4700, the touchpad being the questionable factor). I think this will be my next PDA, unless the h4700 impresses me a lot (I played with an early at the HP Wireless and Mobility Roadshow and the cursur didn't work, so I didn't get to see the full functionality of the touchpad).

Duncan
08-18-2004, 11:29 AM
I personally think this device is the best of the 4 upcoming VGA devices.

Good heavens - why?

It has a lower specification than every other VGA Pocket PC (except its predecessor) - while being the biggest and heaviest...!

That's why there is so little interest - let's be brutal, it is a minor update to a yesterday Pocket PC.

Janak Parekh
08-18-2004, 03:47 PM
It has a lower specification than every other VGA Pocket PC (except its predecessor) - while being the biggest and heaviest...!
Biggest screen, perhaps? It blows away the screen of any previous Pocket PC I've ever owned.

--janak

Duncan
08-18-2004, 04:04 PM
Biggest screen, perhaps? It blows away the screen of any previous Pocket PC I've ever owned.

Except that, if a 4"screen matters so much, surely the hx4700, with BT 1.2, larger battery, smaller and lighter body and faster processor would be more appealing?

Plus - I had an e800. It ws very nice - but so big and heavy that I found myself leaving it behind - defeating the purpose of having it.

I've seen VGA on a smaller screen now - and frankly I've lost any remaining doubts I had about how it would look... The 4" screen is nice in its way - but the compromises that need to be made are simply not worth it. IMHO of course...! :)

Kati Compton
08-18-2004, 05:33 PM
Except that, if a 4"screen matters so much, surely the hx4700, with BT 1.2, larger battery, smaller and lighter body and faster processor would be more appealing?
For me it's the touchpad that's the problem on the hx4700, plus annoyance at the "enthusiast program" rules. Oh, and USB Host.

Marcel_Proust
08-18-2004, 06:44 PM

Plus - I had an e800. It ws very nice - but so big and heavy that I found myself leaving it behind - defeating the purpose of having it.

I've seen VGA on a smaller screen now - and frankly I've lost any remaining doubts I had about how it would look... The 4" screen is nice in its way - but the compromises that need to be made are simply not worth it. IMHO of course...! :)

I like the size of the e800...besides....just to throw cold water on your perceptions....the differences are pretty minor in size.

For comparison, the e800 is 5.3 inches tall, 3.0 inches wide, and 0.6 inches thick (135 x 76 x 15 mm) and weighs 6.8 ounces (193 g).

The hx4705 is 5.2 inches tall, 3.0 inches wide, and 0.6 inches thick (131 x 77 x 15 mm). It weighs 6.6 ounces (187 g).

Duncan
08-18-2004, 07:32 PM
I like the size of the e800...besides....just to throw cold water on your perceptions....the differences are pretty minor in size.

Oh I'm aware that the differences in size and weight are relatively minor - (though I think both are too big for a PDA...! :) ) My point about size was just one part of my point though...! :)

I'm curious though - I had an e800 and frankly I felt every bit of that weight and size. Do you really think a 4" screen will offer sufficient reason to go for a device with small battery, dated wireless, large size/weight etc.? Without even the compensation of the faster processor of the hx4700?

Marcel_Proust
08-19-2004, 05:20 PM

Oh I'm aware that the differences in size and weight are relatively minor - (though I think both are too big for a PDA...! :) ) My point about size was just one part of my point though...! :)

I'm curious though - I had an e800 and frankly I felt every bit of that weight and size. Do you really think a 4" screen will offer sufficient reason to go for a device with small battery, dated wireless, large size/weight etc.? Without even the compensation of the faster processor of the hx4700?

there's no one right answer for this. obviously it's a trade off. For me it's worth it as I tend to use my device as a reader quite a bit, and especially with reading pdf files, the 4" is great. if it wasn't for that, i would prefer the smaller the size. it all depends on what you use your device for.

Jonathon Watkins
08-26-2004, 06:28 PM

YUP! 8) I think this is the one for me.

Why dates wireless btw? What does BT 1.2 buy you that 1.1 does not?