View Full Version : Non-user replaceable batteries ?

vic
08-14-2004, 01:12 PM
Hi.
Can anyone throw some light on this topic.
I am considering buying a 'Palm-pda', but I am concerned what happen's if at some time I need to replace the non-user-replaceable.

Regard's. Vic...

tanalasta
08-14-2004, 02:03 PM
If it's a non-user replaceable battery and it dies, you have several choices:
1. Send the device back to the manufacturer to replace the battery.
2. Go to pocketpctechs and either send in your device or order a battery and attempt to carefully replace the battery yourself.
3. Don't replace the battery and run off the charger 24/7 or try to find an external battery extender that plugs into the charing port.
4. It's probably time to upgrade your device.

Most Li-ion batteries are designed to last about two years before their performance degrades significantly. By that time, you'll almost definitely be wanting to upgrade your device anyway!

portnoy
08-14-2004, 02:09 PM
Hi.
Can anyone throw some light on this topic.
I am considering buying a 'Palm-pda', but I am concerned what happen's if at some time I need to replace the non-user-replaceable.

Regard's. Vic...

For most of the ones I've seen you can find replacement batteries. They do require removing screws and opening the case, as well as some really careful work but shouldn't be overly difficult to do. Properly cared for, the original pack should last a couple years at least. That's about long enough that it might be worthwhile looking at a new device. My Handspring Visor Deluxe uses AAA batteries (NiMH) and I'm beginning to think the bugger will outlive me. The screen isn't much to look at (strange greenish 2 bit monochrome) but a charge lasts for MONTHS!