View Full Version : Please help me in my quest in finding a "good" Pocket PC : )

MartinJ_
08-14-2004, 09:29 AM
Hi
Im going to start college now and am planning to buy a PPC. I had before the Sony *50 (the clamshell one) and the Ipaq 3950/3955. However for the moment I am PDA less.

I am looking for a PPC (I prefer it infront of the Palm OS -Symbian OS)

I have had my eyes on the X30 600+ mhz as it suites my needs
relatively fast and has wi fi. Now, the only thing stopping me is that it does not have a VGA screen. Are there any VGA PPCs (besides the Toshiba *800)
that are shipping now or that I will be able to have shipped to my place (Florida) before the 24th of this month?

Cheers

Maced
08-14-2004, 09:51 AM
Eh, you're not going to find any inexpensive VGA models right now... at the moment there are two that I know of: Loox 720 and the toshiba e800

I believe the Loox 720 just went live so you probably can't find it anywhere very easily...

I would (and did... just waiting for it to arrive, and it will monday) get an Axim X30 :)

MartinJ_
08-14-2004, 10:11 AM
Looks like the X30 will be the only PPC that I will be able to obtain prior to my departure (august 24th)(I Didnt like the Toshiba 800).

There are few questions that I have regarding the x30. I am planning to buy the RhinoSkin Hard Case for Axim X30 [$35 ], however I was wondering will the X30 1800mAh Battery be in the way?

This is my planned bundle
Axim X30 (600+)
X30 External Foldable Keyboard
Cable X30 USB Cradle USBC
X30 1800mAh Battery
Stylus and Screen Protector Axim Screen Protector 12-Pack
Do I need the "Security Software McAfeeŽ VirusScanŽ "?

Steven Cedrone
08-14-2004, 01:02 PM

No...

Steve

JustinGTP
08-14-2004, 05:01 PM
The HP iPaq HX4700 also has VGA - but you can't get it before the 24th (I wouldn't believe) and it is mighty expensive.

Personally, I am going for the Pocket Loox 720.

-Justin.

Kati Compton
08-14-2004, 07:04 PM
There are few questions that I have regarding the x30. I am planning to buy the RhinoSkin Hard Case for Axim X30 [$35 ], however I was wondering will the X30 1800mAh Battery be in the way?
Unless you hear otherwise, I would assume yes.

My guess is that that's for the PC. AFAIK there's no McAfee for PPC. So, if you want it for your PC, get it. But you don't need it for your PPC.

Wiggster
08-15-2004, 12:12 AM
Congrats on heading off to college. A bit of advice, you'll want a good class-keeping software to go with a Pocket PC, I'd recommend 4.0Student (http://fourostudent.com/). I use it standalone on my Pocket PC (No fourostudent.net subscription or anything), and it's a blast.

Anyways, on to your request: why do you need to get the PDA before you leave? There are some good devices coming out right after school starts (bad timing, Pocket PC makers!). I'm waiting 'til the end of the month before buying my new PDA, even though that means I'll have to go a few classes without it. I'd say the Asus A730, Loox 720, and maybe even the HP rx4705 are all worth waiting for. If you wait just a liiiittle bit longer and get it delivered to your dorm/apartment, it should be worth the wait.

As for your intended bundle: good job with the extra battery. There's nothing worse than transcribing a lecture only to find out that your PDA is critically low on power right before your next class starts. Two batteries is a necessity, and a keyboard makes your PDA a portable laptop. You WON'T need McAfee (http://us.mcafee.com/root/Package.asp?PkgID=151), as Pocket PCs haven't had a real virus ever. nor are they likely candidates.

Cheers, mate. Good luck in higher education.

MartinJ_
08-15-2004, 06:52 AM
Im going to be in another country on the 24th : ), thats why. I wont be using the PPC to take notes, I have the Toshiba Tablet Pc M200 for that.

Thanks for the tips guys.