View Full Version : MS Voice Command vs. Fonix Voice Alert

capo
08-14-2004, 12:08 AM
All I really want is for my iPaq 4155 to announce the time on the hour and read my upcoming appointments. Other functions would be cool, but not necessary. Fonix does the job okay, but has trouble with some of our corporate acronyms and departmental names. I couldn't find a way to customize pronunciation though Fonix claims it's there, and the company appears to offer little or no tech support or pre-sales assistance. That's a definite red flag to me.
On the other hand, I've always had good luck with MS support, but there's no demo for Voice Command and it costs more, so I don't know which way to go. Any comments or thoughts?

gregmills
08-14-2004, 04:36 AM
I have voice command but I've never tried Fonix. I use Voice Command to look up contact and it's not perfect but it's pretty accurate. I also use it to control Windows Media Player when I'm driving.

It will read you your appointments but I don't believe that it will read you the date and time. It's main functions are:

Hand's Free Phone
Contact Lookup
Calendar Lookup
Media Player
Program Launcher/Start Menu

There are not a lot of customization options but if you have specific questions I'll try to look them up in the help file.

Mr. PPC
08-14-2004, 05:49 AM
Unfortunetly, MS Voice is only available to US & Canada. :-(

capo
08-14-2004, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the info. If VC won't announce the time then that means it won't work for me. Fonix has another app that sounds more like VC - it looks up contacts, starts programs, etc. Fun to play with for sure, but not what I really need. I found an email address for sales and sent them my question but so far, no answer. As I mentioned, Fonix doesn't seem to be very interested in support. If I can't get an answer from them then I may regrettably end up buying neither app and continuing my search. But I figured someone in the brain trust that is PPCT would be able to help... thanks! :-)