View Full Version : MDA-III - buy in Germany, use in U.S.?

Snarf
08-12-2004, 02:41 AM
<< Price is unknown at present, but we would estimate the unsubsidised price to be about €700-€800. Availability in September in Germany, later in other regions.>>

I'm curious as to how this normally works... if it were released in Germany in September, are we able to purchase it here in the U.S. and use it here in the U.S. with a regular T-mobile SIM and account?

It's the same company, right??

arnage2
08-12-2004, 06:17 AM
i dunno about tmobile. but it should work with ATT

ddevilx2
08-13-2004, 03:05 PM
why on earth would it work with att and not t-mobile if it's sold in germany? If it's locked then it's locked :D

Small Town Man
08-13-2004, 03:29 PM
It will not be locked. And yes, you will be able to use it in the US. And the OS will be in german of course ...

crash
08-24-2004, 08:52 AM
i think it may be a tri band not a quad band so i'm not sure if you would want that for att. i thought att was switching to quad band phones for the cingular buyout. i believe the mda3 doesn't offer the 850 mhz band. the only option i found for all bands was the new hp 6315 and that mpx smartphone. i'd buy the mda if it offered quad band just to take advantage of the xda developers site instead of hoping hp offers good enough support.

Janak Parekh
08-24-2004, 03:35 PM
i think it may be a tri band not a quad band so i'm not sure if you would want that for att. i thought att was switching to quad band phones for the cingular buyout.
Partially correct -- AT&T is switching to phones that support 850/1900, and this phone doesn't have it. ARNAGE2, it's the precise opposite -- T-Mobile will likely to work as their network is 1900-only, but the Blue Angel is 900/1800/1900, and doesn't have the 850 band that both AT&T and Cingular need. (Incidentally, AT&T has 850 spectrum of their own.) Time will tell if a US version is offered.

i believe the mda3 doesn't offer the 850 mhz band. the only option i found for all bands was the new hp 6315 and that mpx smartphone.
The MPx is actually triband, not quadband. Current reports suggest that Motorola will release a 850/1800/1900 version for the Americas, but we'll see.

--janak

ddevilx2
08-24-2004, 05:24 PM
Actually T-Mobile, Cingular, At&T all signed roaming agreements with each other so t-mobile will be able to use the 850 band soonish also. No firm date on when this will start according to customer service

terryrocks
08-29-2004, 06:05 PM
Expansys is selling unlocked versions as a preorder.

Janak Parekh
08-29-2004, 07:05 PM
Actually T-Mobile, Cingular, At&T all signed roaming agreements with each other so t-mobile will be able to use the 850 band soonish also.
Got a link on the 850 & T-Mobile bit? I know T-Mobile signed an agreement with Cingular in Calif., but this was for their 1900-only network. The problem is most of their phones are not 850-capable.

As for Cingular & AT&T, it makes sense as the network will be integrated within about the next six months or so. I'm hoping that'll be the beginning of a really mature GSM network in the US. T-Mobile's is pretty good in urban areas, but a bit spottier in suburbia.

--janak

Kati Compton
08-30-2004, 04:19 AM
Actually T-Mobile, Cingular, At&T all signed roaming agreements with each other so t-mobile will be able to use the 850 band soonish also.
Got a link on the 850 & T-Mobile bit? I know T-Mobile signed an agreement with Cingular in Calif., but this was for their 1900-only network. The problem is most of their phones are not 850-capable.

As for Cingular & AT&T, it makes sense as the network will be integrated within about the next six months or so. I'm hoping that'll be the beginning of a really mature GSM network in the US. T-Mobile's is pretty good in urban areas, but a bit spottier in suburbia.
Hey - maybe I'll have better than ROAMING T-Mobile access where I live soon, then... Sigh.

Janak Parekh
08-30-2004, 05:13 AM
Hey - maybe I'll have better than ROAMING T-Mobile access where I live soon, then... Sigh.
Well, don't blame me if you're living in such a remote place that your location is listed as "Earth". ;)

--janak