View Full Version : how can you tell if a slot is dead?

blumma
08-08-2004, 05:09 PM
i have a Ipaq2210. I bought a wifi card. I get an "unknown card in slot 1". does it mean that this is a hardware failure? I have downloaded the lastest drivers, performed a hard reset and still no joy.

Goomba
08-08-2004, 05:45 PM
Do you have any other cards (I take it your using CF right?) that you could test it on? It might just be that one device. What model wifi card are you using?

blumma
08-08-2004, 07:09 PM
I had a netgear that worked, then I got that error unrecognized card in slot 1, which made me think the card was dead. I then replaced it with the Sandisk WIFI with 128 MB, which gets the same error.

Goomba
08-08-2004, 07:14 PM
Hmmm if both of these cards didn't work then I think your slot may indeed be dead. I'm not the best person to decide though, so I would hold out for some replys from more experienced members before deciding what to do with it. Is your 2215 still in warranty?

Sven Johannsen
08-08-2004, 07:23 PM
The slots don't fry that often, but software does corrupt. I'd recommend doing a full backup and then hard reset the 2215. Load just the WiFi drivers and give it a shot. If it doesn't work, you can always restore the backup and be no worse off. If it does, you know it was some software glitch. Unfortunately you don't want to restore that glitch, so it is spring cleaning time. You get to rebuild from scratch.

blumma
08-08-2004, 07:41 PM
I already went the hard reset route and reinstalled the software with the same results. It's still under warrenty, but I hate to have to send it off to HP which would take awhile to get back (I have my whole life in that IPAQ). I can't see why I can't get it looked at around my area. However, HP said that was impossible. How convinient for the users of IPAQ!

Sven Johannsen
08-08-2004, 08:00 PM
I already went the hard reset route and reinstalled the software with the same results. It's still under warrenty, but I hate to have to send it off to HP which would take awhile to get back (I have my whole life in that IPAQ). I can't see why I can't get it looked at around my area. However, HP said that was impossible. How convinient for the users of IPAQ!

Sorry about that then. Just an aside for info. I have a little problem with my Dell X30 (the 312Mhz). Called Dell, they are shipping me another one second day, with a return label for mine. I just transfer my stuff (easy with Sprite Backup) and send the old one back. They didn't even take a credit card for insurance.

blumma
08-08-2004, 10:15 PM
Not with HP, I just tried to get a replacement but I don't have "that kind of warrenty" :evil:

ironguy
08-09-2004, 10:00 AM
When my 2215 SD slot failed, there was absolutely no recognition of any type of card in the slot. I tried numerous memory cards and a WiFI card. The unit didn't recognize them. No errors or other messages. Reset, hard reset - no difference.

Fortunately, I do have 'that kind' of warranty and HP replaced my unit in two days.