View Full Version : Asucks 620BT

epdm2be
08-08-2004, 09:06 AM
Hi ppl,

As some of you know I had previous trouble with an Toshiba E800. Since the store where I bought it, didn't have any E-800's anymore and considering that Toshiba is leaving (or has left) the PDA market I ordered an Asus MyPAL 620BT instead of another high-end PPC.

Upon receiving I immediatly saw a red dot allmost in the middle of the screen. A broken pixel! I returned this unit to my retailer. The gentleman phone but his distributor AND Asus (in my presence). I was told that I could not return this defective machine since their return waranty is valid if more than 5 pixels where defective.

They also pointed me towards their website where this is suposedly mentioned though I didn't find this. They do mention this for LCD monitors but this is a PDA NOT an LCD-monitor. Plus screens on a PDA are much smaller 320x240 so ONE defective pixel on a PDAscreen is a huge blob compared to a 1024x768 monitor.

Any way. I'm NOT content with this. Even if this was an LCD-monitor. I expect no defective units when I BUY new stuf. Dead pixels on a display device or other machine which depends on its display is a DEFECT! No matter how tiny these defects are!

So I want to know if other ppl have PDA's with dead or missing pixels and/or their experience regarding this issue and whether or not they got their machines repaired/exchanged.

My former experiences was with an HP Jornada 568 (the well-known dust issue) which HP repaired 2 or 3 times swiftly to no avail. The machine STILL has that issue. I gave this PDA after 6 months to my dad (he wanted a GPS so I bought a GPS antenna for the Jornada and give this a birthday present). When I later learned that HP dropped the Jornada's in favour of Ipaqs and OS updates became non-excisitent I was glad I got rid of it. Needless to say that I NEVER bought another HP PDA agian.

Now this Asus thing is new and already things go awfully wrong as far as support goes. I bought this brand upon investigating many aparantly good reviews of these units and I already regret it. Did I buy a lemon? AGAIN?

Thanks in advance for you responses

Kind regards,

EPDM

Duncan
08-08-2004, 10:09 AM
Where are you? UK, US, somewhere else?

Some points:

1) You really don't have a right to a defect free screen - the screens would cost twice what they do now (or more) if screen makers kept to that standard. One or two dead pixels on PDA sized screen (out of 76,800) would be perfectly reasonable.

2) What you apper to have, however, is a stuck pixel - permanently red - and in a central position. In the UK you would have the right to reject it, having examined it on opening. Even one stuck pixel, where it can always be seen, should be enough for rejection. Manufacturer's warranty shouldn't even come into it.

Outside of the UK I have no idea what your rights might be though.

ignar
08-08-2004, 03:28 PM
Can you simply return the unit to the retailer saying "you don't like it?"

epdm2be
08-10-2004, 08:17 PM
I have returned it with the help of my retailer to the distributor. We managed to return it as a socalled "DOA". They will return it to Asus were it will be decided if I'll get a new unit.

As of right now. I really don't care. I've had enough of this ****. I wanted to use that bloody thing as GPS (I still have the GPS mouse) but I think I'll buy a big streetmapper book instead.

This is definitly my LAST PPC that I'm gonna buy. The h/w is crap. The technology is crap and the companies behind it don't take their responsabilities nor consider their customers (true) wishes. So it's obvious they don't need my money either.

Regards,

EPDM

epdm2be
08-26-2004, 08:50 PM
I received a new (actually a refurbished) unit last friday. This hgadno lost pixels onscreen and behaved as it should be. In the end a god result.

Regards,

EPDM