View Full Version : HP h6315, using PDA-mode with phone off??

ringtone
08-07-2004, 01:45 PM
Does anyone know if it will be possible with the new HP Ipaq h6315 to shut the phone off, but still working with the PDA??

This will be important for me when flying (and when cells are to be shut off during all flight, but you are allowed to work with you laptop... and PDA).

AMelis
08-07-2004, 01:55 PM
Does anyone know if it will be possible with the new HP Ipaq h6315 to shut the phone off, but still working with the PDA??

This will be important for me when flying (and when cells are to be shut off during all flight, but you are allowed to work with you laptop... and PDA).Well, I don't know about the 6315, but all the other Smartphones and PDA phones have a way to turn off the radio. Heck, even PDA's like the h4150 has a flight mode that turns off WiFi and Bluetooth....

Derek
08-07-2004, 04:58 PM
Im sure, if this feature is not implented by HP, there will be soon tons of 3th party programs that will have this feature.

My Nokia 6600 didn't have this feature also, but a System Manager program allowed me to enable the flight-mode anyway.

Jon Westfall
08-07-2004, 05:27 PM
According to the pocketnow.com reviews (and their screenshots) it will be possible to turn all wireless off by pressing the power button once, and choosing it from the menu. The wireless configuration manager also seems to allow selective turning on and off of the three radios.

Janak Parekh
08-07-2004, 06:06 PM
I'm certain it will be -- this is a innate feature of Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC Phones. They call it "flight mode" -- you click on the antenna, and "turn on flight mode", which turns off the cellular radio. I'd suspect it'll also turn off WiFi and Bluetooth at the same time if they're on.

Good luck showing the attendants, though. Many of them freak out at any sight of an antenna. :|

--janak

Magoo
08-07-2004, 10:53 PM
According to these screen captures (see the 12th one), Flight Mode is available.

http://www.pocketpcitalia.com/recensioni/software/ipaq6300_software.asp

Ryan Joseph
08-07-2004, 11:42 PM
Good luck showing the attendants, though. Many of them freak out at any sight of an antenna. :|

Exactly why I like my i-mate. No antenna means no one suspects it to be a phone. I used it on a plane two months ago and nobody said a word to me. :mrgreen:

Jon Westfall
08-08-2004, 12:28 AM

Exactly why I like my i-mate. No antenna means no one suspects it to be a phone. I used it on a plane two months ago and nobody said a word to me. :mrgreen:

Anyone have any problem with their PPCPEs in hospitals? I've never had an issue with either my I-Mate or original XDA. Seems more and more hospitals (like some airlines) are realizing that the liklihood of a cell phone interfering is pretty slim.

Also, does anyone else think that screen shot is a bit strange? It reads "The Phone is off." than "Turn On Flight Mode". Usually when you see "The Phone is Off" that means flight mode is on, not off as the screenshot would indicate.

whatsnext?
08-08-2004, 02:19 AM
if this is only for windows mobile for pocket pc phones, then why does it have it on my 4155? is it to disable both wireless radios? why would it matter for wifi and bluetooth on a plane? i can understand GPRS and the phone radio but.....

AMelis
08-08-2004, 03:55 AM
if this is only for windows mobile for pocket pc phones, then why does it have it on my 4155? is it to disable both wireless radios? why would it matter for wifi and bluetooth on a plane? i can understand GPRS and the phone radio but.....Because it turns off the WiFi and Bluetooth, which your 4155 has....and they do not want any radio emissions in the airplane. In fact, there are good arguments that the high frequency low power may be more able to get past shielding than the emissions you would expect can (like a walkie talkie).

Kai920
08-11-2004, 03:47 AM
Also, does anyone else think that screen shot is a bit strange? It reads "The Phone is off." than "Turn On Flight Mode". Usually when you see "The Phone is Off" that means flight mode is on, not off as the screenshot would indicate.

Wow, good catch.. and you're absolutely right. Phone off = flight mode on. My guess is that they've fixed this in the production ROM 0X

acidcrash
09-29-2004, 10:28 PM
in the ipaq wireless manager u can switch on and off any 3 of the devices, Phone, WIFI and BT. So u have no problems whatsoever.

Sparkomatic
09-30-2004, 12:35 AM
I have a 6315 and it is possible to turn off the phone and still work on the PDA. My imate could do the same thing.

Just as a side note, my girlfriend was on a flight a few days ago and there was a guy on the plane using his 6315. The flight attendant made him turn it off. He showed her that the phone was off but she still made him turn it off. I guess she didn't believe him because of the antenna on the device?? :roll: