View Full Version : MPx News: Release Date, RAM, And More

Janak Parekh
08-07-2004, 06:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.phonemag.com/index.php/weblog/read_more/motorola_mpx_and_mpx220_unleashed/' target='_blank'>http://www.phonemag.com/index.php/w...x220_unleashed/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"PhoneMag’s trusted Asian carrier source revealed amazing new details about the MPx and MPx220 two weeks ago. We did our due diligence by confirming our findings with other reliable sources before publishing this article. We hope that you’ll find the following information useful. The MPx220 will be the first of the two models to be release on September 27, 2004, while the MPx release date is set for November 30, 2004. Yes, this release date conflicts with Phone Scoop’s recent report that the MPx may be delayed until the first quarter of 2005. However, we’re extremely confident that our information is accurate. We’ve also confirmed that T-Mobile will not be carrying either device."</i><br /><br />More useful information is in the linked article, including discussion on the amount of free RAM, so check it out. The article suggests AT&amp;T will be releasing it -- does this mean there will be a 800/1800/1900 version? And, of course, we still don't know the price.

Phoenix
08-07-2004, 10:30 AM
T-Mobile is making a mistake by not carrying either of these phones.

But I'm not worried about it. I'll buy an unlocked version of it somewhere anyway, so for me personally, T-Mo not carrying it isn't so much of a big deal.

But for T-Mo it is, because I'm sure there are a lot of new customers and businesses that will go somewhere else just to get a hold of one of these phones at a nice price along with a new contract. They're going to lose business if they don't carry them.

What I don't understand, is if T-Mo is going to be carrying the MDA III and the Sidekick II, why on earth wouldn't they carry these two phones? It's not as if the Moto phones are too sophisticated - the MDA III is a very sophisticated device itself.

Doesn't make any sense to me.

I am glad to hear, though, that the MPx will more likely than not, be available in November. That's good news!

chunkymonkey75
08-07-2004, 02:24 PM
Here is my wish....

That you can use any type of phone with any carrier...just by replacing the SIM chip. I live in the Midwest and the coverage with AT&T and Cingluar and etc. is just not acceptable. So I'm I'm stuck with US Celluar. The service has been great and I get coverage where ever I go...but they only carry one PDA phone and it's about 3 year technology and they want like $700 for it!!!

Every year I see these phones come and go and I can't even use them...how disappointing. I talked with a US Celluar saleman and he said that nobody wants PDA cell phones. That the LG phones they carry have PIM capabilities... :? Somebody must want these.

Jeff Song
08-07-2004, 03:35 PM
T-Mobile is making a mistake by not carrying either of these phones.

But I'm not worried about it. I'll buy an unlocked version of it somewhere anyway, so for me personally, T-Mo not carrying it isn't so much of a big deal.

But for T-Mo it is, because I'm sure there are a lot of new customers and businesses that will go somewhere else just to get a hold of one of these phones at a nice price along with a new contract. They're going to lose business if they don't carry them.

What I don't understand, is if T-Mo is going to be carrying the MDA III and the Sidekick II, why on earth wouldn't they carry these two phones? It's not as if the Moto phones are too sophisticated - the MDA III is a very sophisticated device itself.

Doesn't make any sense to me.

I am glad to hear, though, that the MPx will more likely than not, be available in November. That's good news!

I think its b/c T-Mobile already has the ipaq and the MDA III (at least overseas). Also, the MPx and the 220 aren't exactly the types of phones the vast majority of people will buy. So, I can see why they aren't carrying them. I'm just hoping T-Mobile USA will carry the benq p50 :D

yawanag
08-07-2004, 03:43 PM
Hearing this makes me so glad that I chose to go with imate. I could no longer wait with them changing release dates again and again.

I went with imate, too, because it is Sim free. I originally had T-Mobile service and stayed with them because of the unlimited internet access. The others charge $39.99 for unlimited access. When T-Mobile changes that, I'll probably go with someone else although I don't care for AT&T or Verizon.

I was unhappy with the thought of $799 for imate, but now that I have it I am pleased that I didn't have to buy a new case or car charger. That kind of made up for the difference in going with something for $599.

Phoenix
08-07-2004, 09:17 PM
I think its b/c T-Mobile already has the ipaq and the MDA III (at least overseas). Also, the MPx and the 220 aren't exactly the types of phones the vast majority of people will buy...

I disagree. There is HUGE interest in the MPx. And the MPx 220 is one of the nicest, feature rich clamshell based phones out there apart from the MPx. Moto is putting out some really nice phones now.

Not to mention, more people will buy clamshells like the MPx or MPx 220 which both have tactile feedback buttons and smaller dimensions, than a larger, bulky, touchscreen-only based Pocket PC phone.

TheZodiac
08-09-2004, 02:13 PM
A huge interest form whom? The peopels posts you read whi like it? Most of the consumer market is from people who want cheap, color, cameraphones. For $150 or less. Unsubisized, these are going to be VERY expensive.

And Tmo has plenty of good phones as of late. Some of these carriers have exlusive carrying rights for certan periods of time as well. It could just take time. After all, Tmo just started to ffer the N6800, and N3660 - seriously now. All in due time.

Phoenix
08-10-2004, 03:04 AM
A huge interest form whom?

Take a look around the net. The MPx is not unlike any other product in the world - it's marketed to a certain segment of customers in the marketplace - it's not meant for everybody. Every product has its target audience. And the target for this particular phone is very interested.

And Tmo has plenty of good phones as of late...[/quote]

Their selection is OK, but not fantastic. It could be much better.

Janak Parekh
08-10-2004, 03:47 AM
Take a look around the net. The MPx is not unlike any other product in the world - it's marketed to a certain segment of customers in the marketplace - it's not meant for everybody.
Agreed. I for one am very excited about the prospects of the MPx. If only I had better GSM coverage, I'd wait for it and only it. (Well, a VGA MPx would admittedly be even nicer. :P)

--janak

beq
08-11-2004, 08:03 AM
Do we know when ATTWS and Cingular will merge?

I'm trying to decide for later this year whether to stick with ATTWS or go T-Mo for the GPRS pricing...

Janak Parekh
08-11-2004, 05:43 PM
Do we know when ATTWS and Cingular will merge?
Once they get all the problems settled out. I haven't heard a date. :( It would be nice, wouldn't it, to have one unified GSM network...

--janak