View Full Version : Pros and Cons of the touchpad on the HP iPAQ hx4700 ?

The PocketTV Team
08-07-2004, 03:38 AM
The touchpad on the HP iPAQ hx4700 looks like an interesting idea.

(see http://www.synaptics.com/flash/navpoint_demo.swf )

However, when set in navigation mode (i.e. D-pad emulation), I think that there is a major problem:

When tapping, the user is never exactly 100% certain if the key event generated will be a cursor key (UP/DOWN/RIGHT/LEFT) or Action. It really depends on the position of the tap.

The problem I see is with using this in dialog boxes (e.g. to select an answer to a MessageMox). Normally, the cursor keys can be used to select a button or control, and the Action key to validate the selected control (e.g. to press the selected button).

It would seen to me that with the indeterministic approach of the touchpad, the user could very easiely cause the Action key event instead of a cursor key, which may result in selecting the wrong answer to a dialog. And this may have dramatic results (e.g. Do you want to Delete the file ?, Yes/No).

Another problem is with playing games. I doubt the new touchpad will allow multiple D-pad button presses, which is needed for many action games.

Also, on a Pocket PC, the "Cursor mode" of the D-pad seems very redondent with having a touch-screen... unless there are futur plans to have Pocket PC phones that have a touchpad but no touch-screen ?

MSFT often said that touch screen are not suitable for cellphones (which is why Smartphones don't have touch screens). But this touchpad could possibly provide a solution, which would allow phones to have the Pocket PC OS (instead of Smartphone).

What do you guys think ?

Ripper014
08-07-2004, 05:28 AM
I am not sold on it... I have a touchpad on my laptops... and have had for about a decade... though I am proficient at it there are still times I will accidently double-tap by accident... I can never get the sensitivity just right. I guess part of it is that I drag my finger a little to close to the pad itself.

I would much rather have seen them just do a better job on the D-pad itself. maybe some microswitches rather than what I would assume is a printed circuit board.

Kati Compton
08-07-2004, 06:19 AM
In terms of navigation in applications, I'd have to actually use it to know if it works or not for me.

In terms of games, I see 2 major problems. First, it doesn't have nubs for the diagonals. Second, it doesn't have tactile feedback. If a touchpad were better for games, then console controllers would have had them already.

Kowalski
08-07-2004, 09:08 AM
i dont think that gamers will like this design, but i am looking forward to see the navigation pad because anything that minimizes the use of stylus is very handy for me. and if any device having a navigation pad also has a jog dial, than i would use cursor mode all the times

ironguy
08-07-2004, 09:23 AM
HP has advertised that the 4700 was developed for the business user. Now we all know that no one at businesses play games. Thus the touchpad and not a Dpad.

I'm gonna have to play with this before buying into the touchpad. Although I must say, the Dpad on the 2215 just isn't that great. I often get stuff going up or down instead of left or right.

felixdd
08-08-2004, 06:08 AM
Although I must say, the Dpad on the 2215 just isn't that great. I often get stuff going up or down instead of left or right.

Agreed.

Although I don't really understand the rationale behind a touchpad, if the screen is already one in effect. Why drag your thumb over a touch pad to move a cursor, when you can just stick your thumb over the screen on the area you want to tap?