View Full Version : Help Choosing Bluetooth GPS for iPaq 22x Series

Sheena
08-06-2004, 02:20 AM
After reading the reviews available, I've narrowed it down to either Tom Tom or Navman, but they both seem to have their horror stories: Tom Tom with bluetooth freezes, & Navman with bad directions. Still, plenty of people swear they love them both & the Navman reviews I've found are not very recent, so here's a few questions for you experts...

* Can either one be carried in a shirt pocket or in a purse (outside pocket) & still get a signal?

* Anyone with recent experience with Navman maps, how's the current accuracy? Especially for the US East Coast.

* Do they save the directions if the unit (or the PPC) is turned off?

* Can you see the maps & prepare your route on the PC before a trip? The reviews mention that some maps are for the handheld only, but I'm not sure how this works.

* Can you use either GPS with other maps? (Pocket PC Streets for instance)

Right now I love the long battery life of Navman, as well as the use of regular AAA, the type of accessories included, display in 2D or 3D, side street names as you go, etc; but for a GPS system, map accuracy is everything. Losing the signal for a bit in the canyons of NYC is a minor detail since I know the place, but when I'm in the middle of Atlanta at night I have to trust the maps.

Thanks again,

Rosie

dutyhero
08-06-2004, 12:21 PM
I can only speak for Tom Tom . Reference the blue tooth lock ups , i did suffer quite a bit while driving . However their is a patch which sorts this out . The rx'er is light and could fit in a shirt pocket . I like the accuracy whilst driving around , however i havn't tried the gps rx'er with other maps whilst walking .

Lee

Sheena
08-06-2004, 02:14 PM
Thank you, Lee. Do you know if there is a new patch that works ok the 22x's? I read in some of the GPS forums (posts a few weeks old though), that the patch for our iPaq's was still to come. The one released at the time didn't work or conflicted with the 22x models.

Rosie

dutyhero
08-07-2004, 01:43 PM
I'm not sure if it was a Ipaq patch or Tom tom patch .
I've just checked it was a Tom tom patch . And i can only speak from personal experience . Before the patch i keep having to reset the reciever whilst driving (not a good idea , and certainlly not what it is designed for ) But since the patch not one lock up .

lordpercy
08-08-2004, 05:21 PM
Tom Tom 3 with the latest patch is a vastly better than Navman, I'm running a 2210 with TT3 and the bluetooth lock up's have dropped off by a huge amount i get maybe one a week now. Which compred to my bluetooth headset is very good!

TT3 is much better in every way when compared to navman products, IMO.

LP

Sheena
08-10-2004, 03:54 AM
Tom Tom 3 with the latest patch is a vastly better than Navman, I'm running a 2210 with TT3 and the bluetooth lock up's have dropped off by a huge amount i get maybe one a week now. Which compred to my bluetooth headset is very good!
TT3 is much better in every way when compared to navman products, IMO.
LP

Thanks m'Lord :)

I haven't decided yet, but so many features of the Navman I wish the TT would have, like the replaceable batteries, showing the street names on 3D mode, loading maps per city or at least state instead of per region. That kind of thing. If anyone would confirm at least a 90% reliability on the US plans I'd get Navman on the spot. TT seems to be more accurate and it's a favorite of the UK crowd, but all the other features are not my first choice. We'll see.

Rosie