View Full Version : iPAQ 1945 Price Rising?

Janak Parekh
08-05-2004, 08:00 PM
PPCT reader Gen-M wrote in with the following interesting observation: <i>"Watching the Pricegrabber prices that Jason has been posting on the front page over the last several weeks shows that the price trend for the hp1945, which was on a steady downward slope, has reversed itself and started up ever since the new HP models were released."</i><br /><br />There's two possibilities for this: either vendors are naturally raising prices as the available stock reduces since the unit's discontinued, and/or readers are snapping up the units while they last instead of the <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30787">lackluster rz1715</a>, which is slated to replace the 1945. What do you think is the primary cause? And are any of you planning on buying a 1945 while you still can?

dean_shan
08-05-2004, 08:23 PM
I think it's cause the rz1715 is too much like a zire.

Foo Fighter
08-05-2004, 08:28 PM
I knew this was going to happen. The new iPaqs are about attractive as a dead racoon on a hot summer highway. HP is killing itself by ending the venerable 19xx form factor.

I'm thinking of selling my 1945 on eBay, so maybe I'll get more money for it. Thanks, HP. :lol:

Darren Behan
08-05-2004, 08:48 PM
Ditto to Foo Fighter's comments. The 1945 form factor was the only reason I stayed with hp. Welcome back to the era of the brick.

db

Ryan Joseph
08-05-2004, 08:51 PM
&lt;scary inspector voice>It was a slow day in the office. Nothing going on. I had to resort to reading boring news stories just to pass the time.

Then this group of thugs burst through the door. I knew right away I was in for an adventure.

They were the new iPAQs and they were looking for trouble.&lt;/scary inspector voice>

Kevin Remhof
08-05-2004, 08:57 PM
I have a 1945 and love it. The form-factor is great plus it has Bluetooth. But, the life-cycle of this device seems to be too short. I like seeing new models but I hate when a good device like this disappears.

The new rz1715 is really nothing new or special (to me at least).

Jonathan1
08-05-2004, 09:14 PM
Ditto to Foo Fighter's comments. The 1945 form factor was the only reason I stayed with hp. Welcome back to the era of the brick.

db

Double ditto. I hope the HP model line tanks big time. All the 41xx and 19xx series needed was a screen that didn't turn yellow at angles. But no. HP had to come up with this new butt ugly design. But I'm not bitter. Not at all. :wink:

Jonathan1
08-05-2004, 09:33 PM
PS- It’s a sad state of Pocket PC affairs when Palm's devices across the board look sexier then HP's. Its been asked a thousand times already but it deserves asking again: What in the name of all that is holy and good was HP THINKING?!?!?!

alex_kac
08-05-2004, 09:47 PM
The 4700 is sexy compared to the 55xx it replaces. The others...well, I like the 63xx, haven't seen the 3xxx, and finally words cannot describe my personal - not WebIS opinion - opinion of the 1xxx series.

urugoof
08-05-2004, 10:07 PM
Maybe HP is trying to make the rz1710 look like a better deal. Instead of dropping the price on the crappy new device (which they had better do at some point if they intend to sell them) they just bump up the price on the next model up.

urugoof
08-05-2004, 10:12 PM
Hey Alex, words can't describe how much you love the new 1710 right???
How it looks just like the old Aero from 5 years ago? Now that's progress! :D

Mark Johnson
08-05-2004, 10:58 PM
...it deserves asking again: What in the name of all that is holy and good was HP THINKING?!?!?!

We need a "crowd with torches and pitchforks" emoticon...

estrauss11
08-05-2004, 10:59 PM
I recently sent an email to HP CEO Carley Fiorina, since you can email her through the HP web site. I Explained my disappointment with rz1715 after seeing the reviews and using one very briefly at work, and told her the agency that I work for just cancelled our order for 10 of the rz1715, to go with the 1940 series, since it was a lower cost (Work paid $265 at Newegg for the 1940's), and more powerful than the rz1715. Also, I brought up the WM2003se issue with the 1940 series, since seeing WM2003se at FOSE the beginning of March.

To make this long story short, HP's Executive office called me today to say my email will be forwarded to the group at HP that is responsible for the IPAQ's, and I will be contacted back.

mcsouth
08-05-2004, 11:20 PM
As the reasonable proud owner of an iPaq 1945, I have been eagerly waiting, like others, for the release of the new iPaqs. To say that I have been bitterly disappointed (except for the 6300 - it looks neat - no 2003SE though :( ) is a bit of an understatement. Since I was really looking for WiFi (I bought before the 4150 hit the streets..), my upgrade path is becoming clear - I'm already planning my upgrade to ....... the iPaq 4150/4155 unit!

I love the form factor, features and performance of the 1945, and the 4000 Series (4150/4350) units - I have no earthly idea why HP has abandoned what I thought was one of the best selling PPC form factors ever (except for perhaps the original iPaq...), but I have no interest in the new units at all - they are horribly uninspiring.........

erratic
08-05-2004, 11:54 PM
What in the name of all that is holy and good was HP THINKING?!?!?!

I thought that was blindingly obvious - very little :(

Anyway, other than not having an upgrade path to 2003se and the yellow screen thing I am now extremely happy that I, for once, didn't listen to my wife when she suggested that I wait till the new models came out.

bjornkeizers
08-06-2004, 12:47 AM
I'm very tempted to sell my 1915 and buy a dell or fujitsu siemens. I've seen second hand 1915 and 1940 units sell for more then when they were new.

I paid 180 euro for mine; and I could easily sell it for that amount. New 19xx units are selling out at an alarming rate, just becuse the ppl who were waiting for the new batch of units are scrambling to get them before they're all gone - they sure as hell dont want the rz's.

Jonathon Watkins
08-06-2004, 01:12 AM
What in the name of all that is holy and good was HP THINKING?!?!?!

Oh, you reckon there was some thought process going on there did you? How touching. :lol: :wink:

Jonathon Watkins
08-06-2004, 01:13 AM
To make this long story short, HP's Executive office called me today to say my email will be forwarded to the group at HP that is responsible for the IPAQ's, and I will be contacted back.

Nice. Good to have you on board Estrauss11 and hope you will let us know if you hear back from HP? :)

jnunn
08-06-2004, 05:25 AM
I am one of the happy people who bought the 1945 after seeing the new lineup. I am so pleased with the 1945: at work I run Textmaker, PocketArtist, PocketMindMap, and PocketInformant-5 via GigaBar and it is still fast with over 23MB of RAM still available from the 39MB I allocated to Programs. Often times I run more programs depending on what I am doing and I never have a problem; I adore the generous RAM, file store, and decent processor. And it is as beautiful as it is diminutive (the curves make it seem smaller) ... even the guys at work said "wow!" when they saw it.

I held the rz1715 today and was thoroughly disappointed: it is as boring and boxy in person as it is online. I held it next to my lower priced and more powerful 1945 and laughed.

I believe that HP is suffering from the "it must be designed here" syndrome. The 1900 series was totally outsourced from Taiwan and I believe that is why it fell to the less creative design.

I ultimately want a VGA Pocket PC but I believe that it will take at least a year for the form factors to make sense. In the meantime, buy the 1945 or 4150 while you can. One of my colleagues ordered a 1945 today.