View Full Version : Program removal oddity

terrypin
08-04-2004, 10:55 AM
I have the excellent music-management program CEPlaylist installed on my SD Card. As I now have a second card I decided today to swap the program to main memory. So I went to Add/Remove Programs, intending to remove it then reinstall. But to my surprise the check box for CEPlaylist is not checked. IOW, my PPC (and ActiveSync on my PC) appears to think this is already uninstalled. BTW, the separate entry CEPlaylistHelp is checked.

I'm curious how can that can come about?

And, if I just move CEPlaylist.exe from the SD Card to a new location, will the redundant registry entries remainining pose any problem?

Finally, I suppose another approach is to use Remover to uninstall?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003

mscdex
08-04-2004, 11:34 AM
I think in order to uninstall it you'd have to move it back to the original location on your first SD card then uninstall it. This is probably because the OS keeps track of where all installed programs are located.

And my guess is, that if the Remove Programs program cannot locate the program at the location where it was originally installed, it thinks it has been uninstalled and is no longer existant.

That's my take.

P.S. I was thinking maybe it stores the locations of all installed programs in the registry, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

terrypin
08-04-2004, 06:49 PM
Thanks. I contacted the author too, and he recommends just moving the EXE file.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.