View Full Version : Will I be happy with the h6315?

aLTeReGo
08-03-2004, 04:23 PM
I have a 5555 here at my job in Europe, and I mostly use it for toting around the ~300Mb TomeRaider Wikipedia file, Websters Unabridged Dictionary, and many other reference materials. It is imperative that I keep these open all the time and that they be fast. I also surf the web on my wireless network and view PDFs. The 5555 gives me no problems. I don't play games or anything like that.

I am going to be moving to the states soon and that means my cellphone will not work, so I have to buy a new one. I figure, while I have the checkbook out why not pick up the h6315? Not having to tote around two devices is worth the extra cash to me (in theory). The only problem is its processor and lessor memory. Is a 168MHz processor going to cut it? I don't want to buy this thing and then be dissatisfied because it has problems juggling large documents in TomeRaider, Microsoft Reader, and eReader all at the same time. Especially for $600 bucks!

Your advice is appreciated.

Jon Westfall
08-03-2004, 04:39 PM
I'm contemplating the same thing right now. The way I view it, keeping my h5555 around after purchasing the 6315 will let me slide easily between 2 "modes" should I need to. If the 6315 is too slow to do my high-processor required tasks, I can simply carry both the 6315 & 5555 with me (I'm already carrying 2 devices as is - cell & PPC). When I don't need access to those high-processor tasks, I can simply shed the 5555 and go solely with the 6315. If the 6315 is sufficient, than I can simply keep the 5555 in my desk drawer as a backup.

I guess it depends on your budget and your ability to be creative with device swapping. I do know that, after using an IPaq 5555 and an I-Mate PPC, the IPaq beats the I-Mate in almost every aspect for me - even down to the look & feel of the device. If the 6315 is similar to the design of the 5555 (while lacking processor power), than I'll still be happy.

So to simply answer your question: No, I don't think that you'll be completely happy with the speed of the 6315, but I think it may make up for itself in the longer battery life and ability to carry just 1 device.

Jon Westfall
08-03-2004, 04:40 PM
Oh, and BTW: Welcome to PPCT. Glad to have you here & posting.