View Full Version : Got Any Secrets?

Andy Sjostrom
08-03-2004, 07:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.mcpmag.com/columns/article.asp?EditorialsID=510' target='_blank'>http://www.mcpmag.com/columns/artic...ditorialsID=510</a><br /><br /></div>Microsoft Certified Professional Magazine has published an interesting article called <a href="http://www.mcpmag.com/columns/article.asp?EditorialsID=510">"Protect Your PDAs, PDQ!"</a> written by Roberta Bragg. The topic, that of keeping your PDA and the data it stores, safe is not unfamiliar but Roberta does a good job summarizing some of the most relevant aspects. Here are some quotes and my thoughts.<br /><br />"<b>Physical Protection</b><br />Handhelds should be physically secured. The level of security depends on the role the handhelds play and their location."<br />The challenge is to keep the "physical protection" as small and handy as possible. I would not want to carry around steel wires or heavy metal cases. Cases that make it easy to "wear" the device, for example attached to a belt, can be helpful.<br /><br />"<b>Access Control</b><br />All handhelds should use power-on passwords and/or devices and software designed to prevent unauthorized access and usage."<br />Since I started using my iPAQ Pocket PC 5550 I always my power-on password and use fingerprint authentication. Fast and secure!<!><br /><br />"<b>Protection from Malicious Code</b><br />Anti-virus protection should be extended to handhelds, along with the use of handheld-specific anti-virus programs and sound, enterprise-wide anti-virus action."<br />Not convinced on this one yet. I'll be looking out for the first couple of real attacks/viruses before I would feel that the extra hassle/expense is of any value.<br /><br />"<b>On-board Data Protection</b><br />Critical data should be erased if access control mechanisms are under attack or damaged. Sensitive data should be protected by encryption, and non-sensitive data should be optionally protected by encryption."<br />I've never seen any solution actually erase critical data due to an "attack". However, encryption is simple and transparent to use. There are many encryption products out there.<br /><br />"<b>Synching, Wireless Data Connections </b><br />Handhelds should be protected against unauthorized synching. “Beaming” or other data transfer via wireless means must be secured or disabled."<br />I wouldn't be too worried about being "beamed" and not knowing about it... However, recent reports regarding Bluetooth devices being sucked for contacts information indicate that wireless connectivity should be turned off if it is not actively used.<br /><br />"<b>External Connections and Protecting Data in Flight</b><br />External connections to company networks—via Internet, dial-up and other untrusted network—should only be allowed through an approved VPN or Secure Sockets Layer (SSL). LAN connections require authentication and other protection as determined by the application."<br />Very relevant statements. SSL rocks.<br /><br />"<b>Usage Definitions and Data Decisions</b><br />Handhelds used for business purposes should be owned and managed by the business. Handhelds should be used for business purposes only."<br />Owned and manages by the business, yes. Business purposes only, no. Companies that allow staff to use the device for non business purposes are rewarded by getting more skilled co-workers generating new ideas on how to use mobile technology even more efficiently.<br /><br />"<b>Awareness Training</b><br />All employees should be required to attend or otherwise meet awareness-training objectives that address both the security issues and company policies, as well as provide up-to-date education and information on best practices for handheld protection."<br />This is true from any and all perspectives! I am surprised to still meet even IT-consultants not knowing what Windows Update is... Be that is it may. Roberta's article did spur some thoughts!

dean_shan
08-03-2004, 07:04 PM
I think that Physical Protection is the most important IMHO.

Andy Sjostrom
08-03-2004, 07:17 PM

Interesting. Why do you think that? Personally I feel that physical protection is the natural weak link since if you protect it with lots of muscle then it takes only a bit more muscle to break it. Access control and confidentiality through transparent encryption is protection be means of brain. Often more brain is harder to throw at a protected device than more muscle.

dean_shan
08-03-2004, 07:33 PM
Because if you are the only one to ever touch it, how will anyone else read your data?

Jon Westfall
08-03-2004, 08:57 PM
Because if you are the only one to ever touch it, how will anyone else read your data?

Unauthorized Wireless data transfers?

drowe
08-03-2004, 09:13 PM

Interesting. Why do you think that? Personally I feel that physical protection is the natural weak link since if you protect it with lots of muscle then it takes only a bit more muscle to break it. Access control and confidentiality through transparent encryption is protection be means of brain. Often more brain is harder to throw at a protected device than more muscle.

It's true that finding more brain is more difficult, but if it takes muscle to take it away (mugging?) then the data probably won't be going to anyone that can use it. If it is just laying around for anyone to pick up, then the data might be at risk. If my competitors can't pick it out of my pocket, I'm not worried about the data. That being said, I do use SplashID for my personal data.

Phoenix
08-03-2004, 09:45 PM
...Personally I feel that physical protection is the natural weak link since if you protect it with lots of muscle then it takes only a bit more muscle to break it. Access control and confidentiality through transparent encryption is protection be means of brain. Often more brain is harder to throw at a protected device than more muscle.

I'd have to agree.

Very interesting article.

dean_shan
08-03-2004, 09:46 PM

Not going to happen. I only have WiFi on when I use it and then I'm on it for too little of a time for someone to hack in (if that's even possible to do).

Lex
08-04-2004, 02:57 AM
All handhelds should use power-on passwords and/or devices and software designed to prevent unauthorized access and usage."

Not too handy for the road warrior who needs to access the data while driving. My secret data is password protected in a wallet app.

Jon Westfall
08-04-2004, 04:32 AM

Not going to happen. I only have WiFi on when I use it and then I'm on it for too little of a time for someone to hack in (if that's even possible to do).

That actually brings up an interesting question - is it possible to hack into a PPC? Are there open ports / exploits out there? Anyone ever try?