View Full Version : Re-installing pocket pc on notebook

Badandy
08-03-2004, 04:25 AM
Hi everybody. My harddrive on my laptop got corrupted, and Dell sent me a new one. Therefore, I have to reinstall everything.

My pocket pc still has everything on it, and I was wondering how I would go about reinstalling ActiveSync and getting all of the data back onto my computer. I know I have to reinstall active sync, but how do I go about with all of the partnerships, the documents and folders I have on my Pocket pc now, that I had on my laptop?

Thanks in advance for all of the help, however, I do need help pretty quickly because I am installing the new drive tomorrow morning.

ctmagnus
08-03-2004, 04:39 AM
I've never been in your situation but afaik you just install Outlook, ActiveSync and any desktop apps that work with the Pocket PC (ie, TripTracker, eWallet...), drop the Pocket PC in the cradle and click Next, next... on the desktop until you get the window that says something along the lines of keeping the partnership on the device. Select the option to do so and all the info should be copied from the Pocket PC back to the desktop.

Note that this is just going from memory of blindly doing it the other way around over a zillion times, so ymmv ;)

Edit: This is assuming you have nothing in Outlook on the laptop. If this is not the case (ie, you had a backup of your Outlook data that you're restoring to the desktop before your initial sync) then proceed as below.

FODAO
08-03-2004, 04:40 AM
0X just do the instalations and when you sync for the first time all your info will be on the pc, remenber to install outlook first and to keep you ppc fully charged... 0X

Badandy
08-03-2004, 06:31 AM
So if I just make a new partnership and sync, all of the info will be on my computer? It won't just delete all of the stuff on my jda?

ctmagnus
08-03-2004, 06:33 AM
I fear that if you follow FODAO's instructions that will be the case.

jimski
08-03-2004, 07:16 AM
Just make sure you backup the data on your PPC first or you only get one chance. Logically, you would think that the data from your PPC would copy to the laptop, but whoever said that Active Sync was logical.

With a backup you could copy/paste the files and get a second chance witht the Outlook data.

Gotta go backup my laptop now. You made me nervous. 8O

rhmorrison
08-03-2004, 08:00 AM
Before you connect your PDA after reinstalling OutLook and ActiveSynch make sure that you delete any partnerships. Then when you connect the PDA you create a new partnership and check the appropriate data elements that are to be synched. This way all the day SHOULD be properly exchanged.

Badandy
08-03-2004, 06:54 PM
Well, there aren't going to be any partnerships on it, so I just sync it with just AS and Outlook.

JimPAQ
08-05-2004, 01:52 AM
What you could do is connect the PDA and set up a guest partnership that doesn't synchronize any data. Then do a full data backup using ActiveSync. Then delete the partnership and recreate it as a full partnership. When you do this, it should copy the data from your PDA to the computer.

fyi, if you have Outlook connecting to an Exchange server, (i.e. you have an inbox on the server with e-mail in it) then it will ask you if you want to replace duplicates with what is on the PDA or the Desktop or if you want to keep both. I would just choose the desktop version unless you know you have changed a contact or something on the PDA since you last synchronized.

I got a new desktop at work less then a month ago, and had to do this same thing. So the steps that I went through are fresh in my mind. Mainly because I was thinking the same thing you are "please almighty Bill please dont let all my data be deleted". :wink:

--Jim